D*'s REALLY trying to get the word out about the MPEG4 requirement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Removing the OTA input is a bad idea, no matter how good the satellite quality is. I think that cable STBs should be required to have an OTA tuner, too.

There has been no mention of the H20 going away. IMHO it's just an option to help reduce costs for folks that don't want or need an ATSC tuner in the box, why pay for something that won't be used.

Or - as we hear repeated reports, how identical OTA is now to MPEG4.
Its not really a question of how good it is now or in the immediate future. Its how good it may not be after they go off on this fantasy of what hundreds HD channels? People get used to looking at crap. Some are new and have never seen "great". Heck there are some here that think D* HD looks great now. :rolleyes:

Its not really a question of how good it is now or in the immediate future. Its how good it may not be after they go off on this fantasy of what hundreds HD channels? People get used to looking at crap. Some are new and have never seen "great". Heck there are some here that think D* HD looks great now. :rolleyes:

The only fantasy I am aware of is the one where you post something positive.

Why is it that someone always has to bring up D* PQ issues in justa about every *#$^@#$^@#_* thread? If you are so pi**ed off about the PQ PLEASE do everyone a favor and move onto another provide and share your opinions with them. This thread's subject had NOTHING to do with PQ but the usual folks have to try to turn into another PQ thread again. Sorry for the rant, but just getting *@#*#@%&))( tired of it.

Why is it that someone always has to bring up D* PQ issues in justa about every *#$^@#$^@#_* thread? If you are so pi**ed off about the PQ PLEASE do everyone a favor and move onto another provide and share your opinions with them. This thread's subject had NOTHING to do with PQ but the usual folks have to try to turn into another PQ thread again. Sorry for the rant, but just getting *@#*#@%&))( tired of it.

I know why! Pick me! Pick me!
Is it because some people have big ideas but small minds? ;)

There is an H21 though, the replacement for the H20, in testing right now. It's basically an H20 with updated hardware, no OTA but with ethernet connections.

No OTA??? wtf? Not terribly thrilled with my H20's (slow, HOT, and no updates to the -600 since the dinosaurs), but I would not rush out to get a replacement w/o OTA.

No OTA??? wtf? Not terribly thrilled with my H20's (slow, HOT, and no updates to the -600 since the dinosaurs), but I would not rush out to get a replacement w/o OTA.

Hang in there on an update for the H20-600, one's coming (hopefully before NFL-ST starts). You sure didn't want a couple of the early CE releases that D* tried on that box, they were really bad, but the later ones have been good, they even have the ACTIVE function working.

Removing the OTA input is a bad idea, no matter how good the satellite quality is. I think that cable STBs should be required to have an OTA tuner, too.

for you, me and enthusiasts it matters. for the overwhelming majoritry of subs - they rely on their pay provider for locals and will continue to do so.

BTW, don't the majority of HDTV's being sold now include a built in ATSC tuner, use that vs. the H21 if you really need OTA.

for you, me and enthusiasts it matters. for the overwhelming majoritry of subs - they rely on their pay provider for locals and will continue to do so.
And those happy, ignorant souls are being short-changed, because I don't know of any pay provider that carries all the local digital channels (e.g. PBS) and sub-channels available.

I know that I was glued to my local weather subchannel Saturday, watching Erin re-form into a hurricane over central Oklahoma.

And those happy, ignorant souls are being short-changed, because I don't know of any pay provider that carries all the local digital channels (e.g. PBS) and sub-channels available.

I know that I was glued to my local weather subchannel Saturday, watching Erin re-form into a hurricane over central Oklahoma.

FiOS has a good number of them here in this market (sub-channels). I saw them on my neighbors tv and was suprised.

I can understand Directv's reason for not including OTA (heat, extra hardware cost, support, tuner, etc.) but I want OTA especially for sub channels. Yes the primary HD is important but the subs have some hidden gems including The Tube and Local NBC weather.

Directv has been great,ever since I told them E* has been driving me nuts,and I've only had them for 7weeks, they been doing all kinds of great stuff to make me upgrade back. $49.99 HDDVR, With no Additional time on my contract,Insisted on putting up my new Slimline that the old one got smashed by my Oak tree.,For free. Gave me $5 off per month for the next 6 months,on top of the $5 they are already giving me off per month. I can't be more Happy. If D* gets these HD channels rolling,I'll really be happy.I guess they do value their current customers more the everyone thinks.If I never talk to an E* CSR again, Believe me I won't miss it.

RE: No OTA. I personally prefer OTA and in fact need it for my NBC since it's owned by LIN and not on any sat provider. Having said that, of all the people I know with HD only 2 others have an antenna. All the others say "that's what cable/dbs is for, why would I want an ugly antenna". Sure they don't get it but that's 90+% of the people with cable or sat. They don't want an antenna and don't care if there are subchannels out there they won't watch anyway.

I too am in the minority of my peers who has an antenna. Everyone else is okay with whatever is pumped into their STB. Poor clueless souls... :no :neener

I have posted this a few times before, but it remains true. Just go into virtually any newer (15 years or so) subdivision of homes. You will be hard pressed to see a single tv antenna. Only satellite dishes (and of course cable tv connections).

The enthusiasts like us care about this, the vast majority DO NOT. It's not going to change, and in fact it was not until the satcos were able to offer locals to almost everyone that they mounted any serious subscriber attack against the cablecos. Most people are just very happy to have one source.

On a related note - I would wager that most HD subs don't even know about sub-channels. Why? As stated, most get their signal from a pay provider, and most pay providers don't put out sub-channels. You can't miss somethig that you don't even know exists, can you?

I have posted this a few times before, but it remains true. Just go into virtually any newer (15 years or so) subdivision of homes. You will be hard pressed to see a single tv antenna. Only satellite dishes (and of course cable tv connections).

The enthusiasts like us care about this, the vast majority DO NOT. It's not going to change, and in fact it was not until the satcos were able to offer locals to almost everyone that they mounted any serious subscriber attack against the cablecos. Most people are just very happy to have one source.

On a related note - I would wager that most HD subs don't even know about sub-channels. Why? As stated, most get their signal from a pay provider, and most pay providers don't put out sub-channels. You can't miss somethig that you don't even know exists, can you?

The single TV antenna is most certainly true here in Mid-MO. I put mine in the attic and it is working great. Once I get all of my TV's replaced with HD I will probably drop D*'s local channels. Especially since the word is that D* won't carry the sub-channels. The local news/weather on "demand" is very handy even if it is on SD.

Comcast in our area does offer a couple of sub-channels:
MyTV (2-2, sub of WCBD/NBC)
South Carolina Channel (7-2, sub of PBS)
Some music video channel (36-2, sub of WMMP/Indep)

C* Doesn't carry the one weather radar sub channel offered in our area (WCSC, 5-2) or the PBS-HD (7-3) feed as a sub-channel. PBS HD is it's own non-related channel.

Of course via OTA, the WMMP signal is tough to nail down as it is broadcast using almost enough power to run a toaster, and the PBS is also weak (compared to major net's) at only 4kw pushing all three feeds (PBS National, SC Channel, and PBS-HD).

I can understand Directv's reason for not including OTA (heat, extra hardware cost, support, tuner, etc.) but I want OTA especially for sub channels. Yes the primary HD is important but the subs have some hidden gems including The Tube and Local NBC weather.

What's even neater, is the sub channel with weather radar - great for tracking those summer t-storms!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)