D* Satellite Launch Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
7 days to launch Pradike?
Mr neagative strikes again - no accounting for the delay of another sat on the same rocket...but you'll probably find yet another way to bash D*TV for this delay too (even though it has been documented it's nothing to do with them)...didn't I see you in Grumpy Old Men?? :D

Spaceway 1 and 8s are up, and Spaceway 2 is going to be up very soon too....

geez...I suppose you hold the weatherman accountable daily too... :no

pradike said:
Mr neagative strikes again - no accounting for the delay of another sat on the same rocket...but you'll probably find yet another way to bash D*TV for this delay too (even though it has been documented it's nothing to do with them)...didn't I see you in Grumpy Old Men?? :D

Spaceway 1 and 8s are up, and Spaceway 2 is going to be up very soon too....

geez...I suppose you hold the weatherman accountable daily too... :no

But you said 7/12/05 one way or another didnt you? You must know something no one else knows. Please share it.

vurbano said:
But you said 7/12/05 one way or another didnt you? You must know something no one else knows. Please share it.[/QUOT

vurbano,

do you not think DIRECTV wants that spaceway 2 up as soon as possible?

do you not think they are disappointed too?

of the two satcasters, who is blasting up sats as fast as they can???

and one more thing, this aint burger king, you are getting HD the way directv broadcasts it for at least 2 more years, dont like it, move on, get to stepping!!

and any thing above 481 is hi def, because sd stops at 480, there is no such thing as hd lite , you pass 480 it is hi def

sorry for the rant, im sick of the crying :(

sateck01 said:
vurbano said:
But you said 7/12/05 one way or another didnt you? You must know something no one else knows. Please share it.

satick01,

sateck01 said:
vurbano,

do you not think DIRECTV wants that spaceway 2 up as soon as possible?
yes

sateck01 said:
do you not think they are disappointed too?
yes

sateck01 said:
of the two satcasters, who is blasting up sats as fast as they can???
D*

sateck01 said:
and one more thing, this aint burger king, you are getting HD the way directv broadcasts it for at least 2 more years, dont like it, move on, get to stepping!!
If you have some sort of insider info about D*'s plans for increasing PQ or plans not to increase please share. Thousands of HD viewers would like to know. As far as I know there has been no formal announcement on plans of increasing PQ.

sateck01 said:
and any thing above 481 is hi def, because sd stops at 480, there is no such thing as hd lite , you pass 480 it is hi def

480i is SD, 480p is EDTV, 1080i,p and 720p are HD.

According to the ATSC standards definition for HD being only the top 2 lines of Table 5.1 in the specs I am correct.What source does your misinformed, and if I may add "incomplete", drivel come from?
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_54a.pdf

"high-definition television (HDTV) High-definition television provides significantly improved
picture quality relative to conventional (analog NTSC) television and a wide screen format
(16:9 aspect ratio). The ATSC Standard enables transmission of HDTV pictures at several
frame rates and one of two picture formats; these are listed in the top two lines of Table 5.1.
The ATSC Standard also enables the delivery digital sound in various formats."

"Table 5.1 Digital Television Standard Video Formats
Vertical Lines Pixels Aspect Ratio Picture Rate
1080 1920 16:9 60I, 30P, 24P
720 1280 16:9 60P, 30P, 24P
480 704 16:9 and 4:3 60P, 60I, 30P, 24P
480 640 4:3 60P, 60I, 30P, 24P"

from HDTV.net
http://www.hdtv.net/

"Digital Television, DTV, is a set of 18 different formats for broadcasting televison in a digital format put out by the ATSC. High Defintion Television, HDTV, is six of those 18 DTV formats that has a resolution of at least 720p and has an aspect ratio of 16x9. "

I would be interested to know what groups believe that 480p is HDTV besides EDTV plasma salesmen trying to rip off consumers.
the following are the only three widely accepted HD formats:

1920x1080i
1920x1080p
1280x720p

Anything less is SD or EDTV although I am sure many many Plasma EDTV peddlers would love it if the rest of the world would abide by your misinformation, then they could slap HDTV logos on their displays and sell them at higher prices:rolleyes: Do you have any idea of just how wrong you are? With your twisted logic I suppose Toshiba and Sony and others should stop work on HD DVD and Bluray. Stop the presses!!! Our upconverting DVD players are already HD!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

sateck01 said:
sorry for the rant, im sick of the crying :(
Why stop , you cry well.

Barneypoo69 said:
Can we stop a lottery guess or just a gamble with all this please?
Facts please..........

Barney

My point exactly. This bit of misinformation (7/12/05 by Pradike) even appeared as "news" at one time on the main page of this forum. Some people should take more care in their postings.

1920x1080i downrezzed to 1280x1080i would be indistinguishable to a 1280x720p set viewer, would it not? Maybe that's the rationale -- that the majority of sets these days are probably 720p native.

k2ue said:
1920x1080i downrezzed to 1280x1080i would be indistinguishable to a 1280x720p set viewer, would it not? Maybe that's the rationale -- that the majority of sets these days are probably 720p native.
Thats the rationale. But converting a 1080i signal to 720p for a 720p set losses some of the detail in the 1080i picture. And vica versa for 1080i sets. Now do you think that converting (1280x1080i) 1.38 million pixels at 8mbps to 720p format gives as good a picture as converting (1920x1080i) 2.07 million pixels at 16 mpbs? Thats the question for 720p set owners. I think the answer is yes its less noticeable. But for 1080i set owners it is very noticeable especially with the accompaining bitrate reduction. And I can tell you that EVERY superbit movie I own looks better than anything D* shows currently on HDnet movies. On the other hand some of the channels at higher bitrates are much better. Take a look at just how bad HDnet movies has gotten:
http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

vurbano said:
Thats the rationale. ... But for 1080i set owners it is very noticeable especially with the accompaining bitrate reduction. ...
It is even worse for those of us that have sets that upconvert everything to 1080i.

Just opinion but I think most who have not seen a drastic increase in PQ for SD in the last couple weeks are either on TV's less than 36" in size and /or no HD sets. I was watching the X-Men cartoon last night on Nick and it was phenomenal in quality ... The HD PQ updates are coming ... they just need the capacity. If they never arrive I am sure many of us will defect to cable because I Comcast has nice HD Nationally :)

k2ue said:
1920x1080i downrezzed to 1280x1080i would be indistinguishable to a 1280x720p set viewer, would it not?
Not really. This sort of goes back to the argument over which has better quality, 720p or 1080i. The answer is that 720p broadcasts do not look as good up-converted to 1080i, and 1080i broadcasts do not look as good down-converted to 720p. The bottom line is that when you convert anything from its native resolution, it looks worse. Then add in when a 1920x1080 program gets cut down to 1280x1080, then must be converted again to 1280x720 for us DLP owners, or 1366x768 for LCD. Trust me, it's bad.

slacker9876 said:
It is even worse for those of us that have sets that upconvert everything to 1080i.

Just opinion but I think most who have not seen a drastic increase in PQ for SD in the last couple weeks are either on TV's less than 36" in size and /or no HD sets. I was watching the X-Men cartoon last night on Nick and it was phenomenal in quality ... The HD PQ updates are coming ... they just need the capacity. If they never arrive I am sure many of us will defect to cable because I Comcast has nice HD Nationally :)

Well just remember, all I did was complain about the missinformation Pradike posted about 7/12 launch date. Didnt mean to hijack the thread about this topic. But I cant let that comment by sateck01 to go unrebutted. Sorry.

To echo what sateck01 asked earlier, and to which you never replied, if you are SOOOOOOOO unhappy with D*'s "hd-lite", why don't you switch to E* or something else (cable) and spare us your rants?

Just a thought!

Mid August might be the right projection date because Ariane Space has delayed the IpStar launch until further notice. So far IpStar's new projected launch date is July 18 or 24th. If thats the case prepare to see a mid-Aug. launch for SW2.

If I was D* I would seriously chew someone out over this. I bet this is the last contract the launch company gets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)