Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
DirecTV 12 Satellite - Launch Dec 28 7:22pm

D12 was delivered today to prepare for launch, so we are closer to more HD.

That is excellent news, hopefully they will announce delivery soon and be on target for the antcipated Dec 29 launch.

Dont count your Chickens before they hatch, Remember what Borat did to AMC14, Which now sits at 35 degrees East. There are a millions of things that can go wrong between now and then. Lets hope it all goes well and hope that the wine bottle broke on this ship! :)

Dont count your Chickens before they hatch, Remember what Borat did to AMC14, Which now sits at 35 degrees East. There are a millions of things that can go wrong between now and then. Lets hope it all goes well and hope that the wine bottle broke on this ship! :)

Such optimism .....

Why does someone always have to come in to a thread with UNLESS SOMETHING GOES WRONG ?

would be ANIK brought the news ?

Here is the story from Russia, the satellite was delivered today. Currently Dec 29 is the expected launch date.

We could enjoy more HD even sooner than expected (as DirecTV said so far, first half of 2010), I think we all hope it is first quarter of 2010.

Russia prepares for December launch of DirecTV satellite | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Special thanks to Wesro for alerting us to the story!

His name ANIK.

I got a question for you guys. Why is a DTV satt launching in Russia? Just curious. Is that location a global launching site for other provider's payloads? Why not in the U.S.?

The Russians are very good at it and they launch more sats than anyone else. Directv probably just grabbed the earliest available launch date.

I'd like to think my glass is half full :)

We could enjoy more HD even sooner than expected (as DirecTV said so far, first half of 2010), I think we all hope it is first quarter of 2010.
It is well and good to hope, but remember that DIRECTV 11 took four months to go live and it was an equatorial launch. Expectations must be realistic.

Is that location a global launching site for other provider's payloads?
Yes.
Why not in the U.S.?
Because everything in the US costs too much and we would never accept the consequences of a failed launch where the downrange gets sprayed with rocket propellant.

Most of the launch vehicles are built in Russia so it is more convenient.

Yes, we can even price ourselves out of the rocket science business.

Directv probably just grabbed the earliest available launch date.
Actually, DIRECTV gave up their spot in line to Eutelsat for last week's W7 launch. They had to do some serious string pulling (pushing out a Russian government launch) to get it done this year.

Truth be known, Boeing probably wasn't ready for a launch last week.

It is well and good to hope, but remember that DIRECTV 11 took four months to go live and it was an equatorial launch. Expectations must be realistic.

Always the optimist, eh Harsh? D11 took so long to go live partly because of the testing of the BSS payload. Also, we COULD see new hd channels before D12 is live, after the NFL regular season is over since Sundays will no longer have the demand of Sunday Ticket. That means Directv could shut off some of the PPV channels if they so choose. I suspect you already know all of this, however.

Always the optimist, eh Harsh? D11 took so long to go live partly because of the testing of the BSS payload. Also, we COULD see new hd channels before D12 is live, after the NFL regular season is over since Sundays will no longer have the demand of Sunday Ticket. That means Directv could shut off some of the PPV channels if they so choose. I suspect you already know all of this, however.

I think you will see more On Demand offerings before you see any type of new HD. Until we get the new bird up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)