DBS FTA question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike1234

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Someone at work gave me a D*RECT TV receiver/dish/lnb.

I successfully pointed it at the satellite shown when I enter the zip code and am getting the PPV channels, etc. zip is 39211

1. What satellite (on lyngsat's web site) am I pointing at?

2. Can I reposition this LNB to get the channels that Iceburg talks about in the FAQ "What can I get with a 18" dish"? Or do I have to have another receiver?

Thanks in advance...

DirecTV have satellites at 101 110 and 119, 101w is the main satellite. They also have a bird at 72.5w

The dish and LNB can be used for the other FTA/In the clear channels up there as mentioned in Icebergs (18") thread.

The receiver is useless for FTA satellite : (

DOH! :(

I guess I misunderstood that part...

Oh well, no problem It was all free anyway! I was planning on getting a Coolsat soon anyway...that will give me an excuse to buy it sooner!!!

The reason I wanted to know what satellite I was pointing at, was to get a bearing on where the other satellites were located in the sky. I'll assume that I'm pointed at 101W, for now.

Thanks PSB for the quick response.

It should tell you in the Signal Meter Screen what satellite you are on, the new ones do anyway.

To expound on PSBs thought, If it does not tell you this, then it is safe to assume you are pointed at 101, since those recievers were designed to look only at that bird.

Another thing to consider is that there is no DBS DVB FTA on the 101w slot. AMC 4 is there, but you'd need a 30 inch dish (minimum) and linear LNBF. D* is the only DBS (circular LNBF) service there, and since D* uses a proprietary stream (non DVB), you won't be able to get any FTA where your dish is pointed now.

The best thing to do is repoint the dish (once you get your FTA receiver) to either 91w or 119w. These are both good sources of DVB DBS FTA, especially audio channels. You can also get some FTA channels on 82w and 110w, but there's more bang for your buck on 119w IMO, with NASA and all of the audio.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)