Dbs system creation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I know the components of the dish Network and DirecTV systems but dont know how to create one similar to it with connecting multiple tvs in my house for just getting local channels if it's even possible. Do you know what can help me build this? Do you have the link?
Unfortunately you cannot get most local channels with a satellite dish, unless you subscribe to Dish Network or DirectV.

Satellite dishes connecting multiple receivers to tvs in my home.
FTA channels

Before proceeding you should understand that most of what is available on DISH and DirecTV will not be available FTA. If you can accept that then you need to decide if you are the capable of installing and maintaining your own satellite distribution system. Many things need to be planned out in advance such as location and line of sight, number and size of dishes needed for the desired channels, length of cable, number of switches/multiswitches, proper receivers, etc. You really need to be the hands on type who is willing and able maintain the system yourself by tracking down and fixing any problems that arise because with FTA you are on your own. If you are not the hands on type (good at building and fixing things yourself) then this is likely a job for a professional, if you can still find one who does these types of installs. Either way I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Reactions: N6BY
Before proceeding you should understand that most of what is available on DISH and DirecTV will not be available FTA. If you can accept that then you need to decide if you are the capable of installing and maintaining your own satellite distribution system. Many things need to be planned out in advance such as location and line of sight, number and size of dishes needed for the desired channels, length of cable, number of switches/multiswitches, proper receivers, etc. You really need to be the hands on type who is willing and able maintain the system yourself by tracking down and fixing any problems that arise because with FTA you are on your own. If you are not the hands on type (good at building and fixing things yourself) then this is likely a job for a professional, if you can still find one who does these types of installs. Either way I wish you luck in your endeavor.
I just want to know what I need to get started for creating a fta system like dish Network and DirecTV I know the components of dish and DirecTV system its only to get fta channels

I just want to know what I need to get started for creating a fta system like dish Network and DirecTV I know the components of dish and DirecTV system its only to get fta channels

Not being snippy or anything but what is your experience level with satellite dish installation, maintenance, etc? Just an important question to answer before you proceed with anything.

You need a receiver, like this one. It's about the most capable, cheapest one to properly do the job: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X FTA Receiver DVB-S2X H.265 HEVC With NTP 4K Ultra HD | eBay

You need a satellite dish AND an lnbf, and the dish MUST be larger than "Dish Network/DirecTV" types. 3ft/ 39 inches MINIMUM. Like this one: GEOSAT PRO 90cm/36" Offset Ku Band Satellite Dish

Lnbf: GEOSATpro SL1PLL Standard Single Phase Lock Loop Ku LNBF

You'll need something to mount it on, either a pole in the ground, OR a "J-Pole" like you see Dish Network/DirecTV dishes mounted on: New J Mount Pole Outdoor TV Antenna Satellite Dish Bracket Adjustable Angle | eBay

You'll need Rg-6 Coax, to reach from your tv set to the satellite dish on the pole: Vericom Bulk RG-6 Coaxial Cable Quad Shielded Black 1000-Ft (XRG0602406)

IF you want to be able to MOVE the dish to different satellites, you'll need a Diseqc motor: ORIGINAL MOTECK SG-2100 SATELLITE DISH MOTOR FTA HH SG2100 ROTOR MOTORIZED HH 90 | eBay

After you buy all this and hook it up, you'll have to learn to get it all installed and working. At that point, though there's hundreds of free "FTA" channels to watch between all the satellites, you will NOT get premium channels like Dish Network/DirecTV sells.

Here's a very long thread you can read on how one guy recently got talked through how to install his FTA system. Newbie needs guidance!

You need a receiver, like this one. It's about the most capable, cheapest one to properly do the job: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X FTA Receiver DVB-S2X H.265 HEVC With NTP 4K Ultra HD | eBay

You need a satellite dish AND an lnbf, and the dish MUST be larger than "Dish Network/DirecTV" types. 3ft/ 39 inches MINIMUM. Like this one: GEOSAT PRO 90cm/36" Offset Ku Band Satellite Dish

Lnbf: GEOSATpro SL1PLL Standard Single Phase Lock Loop Ku LNBF

You'll need something to mount it on, either a pole in the ground, OR a "J-Pole" like you see Dish Network/DirecTV dishes mounted on: New J Mount Pole Outdoor TV Antenna Satellite Dish Bracket Adjustable Angle | eBay

You'll need Rg-6 Coax, to reach from your tv set to the satellite dish on the pole: Vericom Bulk RG-6 Coaxial Cable Quad Shielded Black 1000-Ft (XRG0602406)

IF you want to be able to MOVE the dish to different satellites, you'll need a Diseqc motor: ORIGINAL MOTECK SG-2100 SATELLITE DISH MOTOR FTA HH SG2100 ROTOR MOTORIZED HH 90 | eBay

After you buy all this and hook it up, you'll have to learn to get it all installed and working. At that point, though there's hundreds of free "FTA" channels to watch between all the satellites, you will NOT get premium channels like Dish Network/DirecTV sells.

Here's a very long thread you can read on how one guy recently got talked through how to install his FTA system. Newbie needs guidance!
Thanks it wouldn't bother me not getting premuim channels but I would also like to know how to add multiple fta receivers to a single switch connected to two Satellite dishes. I also want the fta receiver to measure 15x10x2 inches.

Thanks it wouldn't bother me not getting premuim channels but I would also like to know how to add multiple fta receivers to a single switch connected to two Satellite dishes. I also want the fta receiver to measure 15x10x2 inches.

Everything you need to know about switches (and multiswitches) is in the thread below thanks to Anole. :)

Reactions: phlatwound
I don't know how up to date this listing is, but you might find it useful to see if the programming you want is available on FTA sats and if those sats are viewable from your location.

If you want to have multiple receivers, then you must do DUAL Coax/Output. You need two LNBF outputs so that one output can demand Horizontal signals, and the other can demand Vertical Signals. You need to be able to output both at the same time, being you may have one receiver demanding a horizontal signal and the other wanting a vertical signal. Not possible without a dual output LNBF. You can then buy multi switches which are mentioned in above messages that allow you to then turn those two ouputs and merge them into multiple receivers hookups. (typically multiswitches are for 4 or 8 independent satellite receivers.) Usually a multi-switch allows you to have two separate horizontal/vertical inputs, which means you can hook up two different satellites per multi switch which has a built in 22KHZ switch for each receiver to switch between the two different satellites. If you want to have additional satellite accessibility, then that requires additional multi-switches for each additional 2 satellites you wish to access. You then utilize diseqc switches to decice which multi-switch is accessed. I myself have what you might consider a self contained FTA system. I have a total of 5 satellite receivers and any one of them can access any channel on the many Cband and KU dishes that i have. In total, i believe i have 18 different orbital positions i have fixed positions at. All funneled into the 6 satellite receivers that use the same exact settings between them to switch between all the signals. Anyone one of those 6 receivers can instantly switch/watch any channel independent of any other receiver.

Over the years, I have grown to dislike moveable dishes. They aren't as reliable, are more problematic to wind weather, and makes it impossible to utilize to multiple receivers, John cannot watch something at orbital 101w if Jerry is watching something parked at 127w.

On the negative side, with all the switches / multi switches and cabling, there are little things that go wrong here and there. Switches go bad, coax connections can loosen or deteriorate. Animals can chew on wires... In another words, its never set it and forget it. Every summer, i usually have a little clean up to keep everything up to snuff. But, for me, it beats a Cable bill any day of the week...

If you want to have multiple receivers, then you must do DUAL Coax/Output. You need two LNBF outputs so that one output can demand Horizontal signals, and the other can demand Vertical Signals. You need to be able to output both at the same time, being you may have one receiver demanding a horizontal signal and the other wanting a vertical signal. Not possible without a dual output LNBF. You can then buy multi switches which are mentioned in above messages that allow you to then turn those two ouputs and merge them into multiple receivers hookups. (typically multiswitches are for 4 or 8 independent satellite receivers.) Usually a multi-switch allows you to have two separate horizontal/vertical inputs, which means you can hook up two different satellites per multi switch which has a built in 22KHZ switch for each receiver to switch between the two different satellites. If you want to have additional satellite accessibility, then that requires additional multi-switches for each additional 2 satellites you wish to access. You then utilize diseqc switches to decice which multi-switch is accessed. I myself have what you might consider a self contained FTA system. I have a total of 5 satellite receivers and any one of them can access any channel on the many Cband and KU dishes that i have. In total, i believe i have 18 different orbital positions i have fixed positions at. All funneled into the 6 satellite receivers that use the same exact settings between them to switch between all the signals. Anyone one of those 6 receivers can instantly switch/watch any channel independent of any other receiver.

Over the years, I have grown to dislike moveable dishes. They aren't as reliable, are more problematic to wind weather, and makes it impossible to utilize to multiple receivers, John cannot watch something at orbital 101w if Jerry is watching something parked at 127w.

On the negative side, with all the switches / multi switches and cabling, there are little things that go wrong here and there. Switches go bad, coax connections can loosen or deteriorate. Animals can chew on wires... In another words, its never set it and forget it. Every summer, i usually have a little clean up to keep everything up to snuff. But, for me, it beats a Cable bill any day of the week...
Where can I get this dual lnb and multiswitch to connect multiple fta receivers do you have a model example

Here is a link for a dual C-band LNBF :

Here is a link to a 4 satellite receiver multi switch

As for a dual KU band LNBF, most satellites, you will want to use a standard 10750 LO , but for a couple satellites, such as 34.5w and 117w you will want a UNIVERSAL KU Dual band lnbf that will allow you to get low/highband. The universals default to the low band, which is good, as when connected to multi switches, you cannot switch modes...

Universal

10750 Standard KU LNBF

I have used everything i linked except for the standard KU LNBF. A lot of places have closed shop and many of what i considered higher quality KU LNBFS seem to no longer be available. Others might be able to link to a proven KU dual 10750 LNBF

Here is a link for a dual C-band LNBF :

Here is a link to a 4 satellite receiver multi switch

As for a dual KU band LNBF, most satellites, you will want to use a standard 10750 LO , but for a couple satellites, such as 34.5w and 117w you will want a UNIVERSAL KU Dual band lnbf that will allow you to get low/highband. The universals default to the low band, which is good, as when connected to multi switches, you cannot switch modes...

Universal

10750 Standard KU LNBF

I have used everything i linked except for the standard KU LNBF. A lot of places have closed shop and many of what i considered higher quality KU LNBFS seem to no longer be available. Others might be able to link to a proven KU dual 10750 LNBF
Thanks, of the multiswitch you mentioned are there fta multiswitches that has a frequency from 3000mhz to 6000mhz if there isn't can you customize the fta multiswitch to 3ghz or up to 6ghz. I would also like to know if I can create my own fta receiver by just knowing the components of dish and DirecTV receiver. I'm looking for a fta receiver that measures 16x13x3 inches so that it can have a duration like those crt tvs that last for years.

Thanks, of the multiswitch you mentioned are there fta multiswitches that has a frequency from 3000mhz to 6000mhz if there isn't can you customize the fta multiswitch to 3ghz or up to 6ghz. I would also like to know if I can create my own fta receiver by just knowing the components of dish and DirecTV receiver. I'm looking for a fta receiver that measures 16x13x3 inches so that it can have a duration like those crt tvs that last for years.
The frequencies going from the LNBF to the receiver are down converted to 950-2150 MHz by the LNBF. So a multi switch going up to 2150 MHz is appropriate for the job.

FTA satellite receivers have gotten much smaller in the past 10-15 years. Some are not much larger than a pack of cigarettes! So I really doubt if you will ever find a modern one 16x13x3.

Amiko and Edision FTA receivers are popular in this forum and have a good reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
I would also like to know if I can create my own fta receiver by just knowing the components of dish and DirecTV receiver. I'm looking for a fta receiver that measures 16x13x3 inches so that it can have a duration like those crt tvs that last for years.

Not sure what this is even asking in reference to Dish and DirecTV components in an FTA receiver and why such a specific size? :what