Delusional Pizza Pusher...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Well, in case anyone was wondering, D* has better PQ than Blu-Ray... Or so I was told by a D* sales person earlier this week. I struggled not to laugh or correct him, just bit my tongue hard and said, "Oh, I see. What about bitrate?" A puzzled look came over his face. "You know, the amount of data used for the digital stream." "Oh, its just as good as Blu-Ray because it comes directly from the networks to you!"

Its sad, but I think they actually believe what they're telling people. Even sadder is many consumers wouldn't see the difference. Now, I've seen some high-bitrate network feeds on FTA satellites that would compare to Blu-Ray in PQ, but I don't think either D* or E* use 20-40 megabits for any of their channels ;) ...

Last edited:

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
LOL, that's funny. I remember arguing with a D* salesman back when they first came out how my bud was better. He too thought D* was the greatest thing since the napkin.

Sorry to say there all smoking something since no pizza service can compare with Blue Ray or a Master feed. The thing is the stupid consumer will believe them.

toucan-man

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Are you all saying the emperor has no clothes? I say the emperor does have clothes. You can tell by all the digital artifacts than are visible around sharp edges. That's the lint, so there must be clothes.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
yeah I had a comcrap guy come the other day trying to sell me on their products. I was in the garage so I guess he forgot to notice the 6 foot dish and 5 foot dish right there (or the 6 footer in the front of the garage). When I told him I had satellite he tried the "oh you know when it rains the signal goes out" line :rolleyes:

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
salesdroids
I'll have to remember that. It's a pity, for we now have "salesdroids" in just about every box store also. It's unbelievable how often one has deal with them. But then, they are only there for a few semesters, then a new batch arrive.

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
When I told him I had satellite he tried the "oh you know when it rains the signal goes out" line :rolleyes:

Hahaha...on C band. :eek: You should have asked him if their signal goes out on the dishes they have behind the plant pointed at the cable masters too. :D

I can watch c band in a monsoon :shocked :up

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
actually I havent had any rain fade yet with D* either in the 4 months I've had it. KU would go out but D* has still worked fine. C-Band of course stayed up ;)

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
My 18" dish I have on direct 101 that I use for the guide here and there has lost the preview channel in heavy rainstorms. I get signal quality in the 90's normally. My ku dies also in those storms. C band.... well if it's real bad I may go from 99 to 98 on quality and that's probably because the dish is rockin wildly from the wind.

What dish do you have on direct Ice? Maybe I should mess with one of these phase III's with a single LNB for 101.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I have a Phase III that I installed myself. Its all I had laying around when the guy came to install (I wasnt going to use the stock 18")

Signals are usually 95-96 on most TP's

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
Well, in case anyone was wondering, D* has better PQ than Blu-Ray... Or so I was told by a D* sales person earlier this week. I struggled not to laugh or correct him, just bit my tongue hard and said, "Oh, I see. What about bitrate?" A puzzled look came over his face. "You know, the amount of data used for the digital stream." "Oh, its just as good as Blu-Ray because it comes directly from the networks to you!"

Its sad, but I think they actually believe what they're telling people. Even sadder is many consumers wouldn't see the difference. Now, I've seen some high-bitrate network feeds on FTA satellites that would compare to Blu-Ray in PQ, but I don't think either D* or E* use 20-40 megabits for any of their channels ;) ...

I am new to FTA. But last week I found a feed of wwe raw so I watched it. And since I only have an sd box the raw feed looked better than my time warners hd usa feed. Plus it didn't have any commercials which was great.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Hahaha...on C band. :eek: You should have asked him if their signal goes out on the dishes they have behind the plant pointed at the cable masters too. :D

I can watch c band in a monsoon :shocked :up

I was recording feeds from NASA-TV during STS-132, and a big windstorm came up. Wind-whipped rain, sleet, you name it. The only time my quality went down was when the wind blew a branch from the pecan tree above the dish down into PortaBUD's LOS. I'm going to have to get out the trusty 'ol Chainsaw before the next shuttle mission! :up

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
On and off over the last several years I have had both D* and E*. The only time it would go out would be very heavy rainstorms..Maybe for 5-10 minutes at the most..That was very rarely. And the picture was 1000% better than cable..The FTA on my analog set looks a lot better than cable as well..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts