Digital Deluxe Package

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If H2H was on KU band I probably wouldn't subscribe, because the quality wouldn't be as good and you would have rain fade.

Its all about your situation. Some people like apple some oranges. I'm not a sports nut either. I like music H2H provides that. The few basic channels I want are in the family pack on Direct. Ice talks about a $5.00 difference from the basic pack for the high tier channels. He forgot to mention that choice (the basic pack he talks about) is $60.99 a month and choice xtra is $65.99, but hell your paying $61 bucks already for basic. Direct offers family for $29.99 and select for 40 something but don't advertise them. They really want you to get choice for $61.

HD I can take it or leave it. A good looking SD picture is fine with me. I almost got sucked into the HDlite thing with D* when I ordered. Even had it written up then I came to my senses before I finalized the install date. I'm glad I did. They sure sugar coated the sales pitch and almost got me.

The point is everyone has to do what they have to do. I like what I can get and do. The other guy will say I'm stupid and his way is the best. To each their own.

Attachments

• PKGS.jpg
    PKGS.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
If H2H was on KU band I probably wouldn't subscribe, because the quality wouldn't be as good and you would have rain fade.

The picture quality was the same on ku. I did the A/B comparison. Rain fade did happen but not like I get on Direct. Digicipher is superior to Videogard.

Don't forget you states taxes also because if I remember correctly from when I had them you get hit with that also, so the final bill is over 70 dollars for the plus package.

the picture quality would be the same regardless. SO you mean to tell me a feed on C-Band looks better than a feed on KU if they use the same parameters (FEC, symbol rate)?
highly unlikely

Direct offers family for $29.99 and select for 40 something but don't advertise them.

correct. Dish does the same thing. The Welcome Pack and Family pack on Dish arent advertised either on their site
Many companies have special deals that arent advertised. I'm on a special cell phone pack that isnt advertised anywhere

Don't forget you states taxes also because if I remember correctly from when I had them you get hit with that also, so the final bill is over 70 dollars for the plus package.

This is the freaky part Illinois has no sales tax on DirecTV. I am so surprised because they tax us on anything here. Of course nothing on H2H or my big dish ever.

BTW we have the highest gas prices in the nation in Chicago. Damn Crooks!

I think there's a lot to do with credit checks too. Both Direct & Dish required a deposit because my credit is in the crapper. The contract is another goad to get people.
If you were to tell people that a package is $200.00/mo normally but act now & sign this contract, you can get an unbelievable low price for the 1st year for only $100.00/mo, people would scramble to get that "special" price. I bet you could even tell people all the channels would be free if they just simply pay a low & very reasonable price of $100.00/mo, and they would brag to all their friends about all the channels they're getting for free by simply paying only a $100.00/mo.
Picture quality isn't that important to me either except when you try to impress somebody. My neighbor brags to me about his HD on Direct and in all honesty, it doesn't look to be that much better than H2H SD. ( I go over there sometimes to watch Spike or USA, sometimes even the local channels ).
To be honest, I would go with Pizza if they had alacart, reasonably priced packages & not increase fees after you become a loyal customer. Or make you feel you must become their property by enslaving you to them for two years & take over your bank account.

I remember in the mid 90's when I think it was Hughes satellite or maybe RCA, I can't remember, heck, maybe it was Direct, had several commercials showing the big dish being used as bird baths, target practice, a BBQ pit & a flower pot in favor of the new, 18 inch satellite receiver. My friend bought one for $899.00 at the time & you had to install it yourself.. Rain fade was really bad then. There was also fog fade

Contracts is how they get you. Once the teaser is over sticker shock can really kick your butt. They know this and every time you turn around they try to suck you in deeper and extend the contract for another 2 years with ETF's. Direct pulled this on me last weekend they called me and offered me free HD DVR upgrade for only $17 more a month and another two year contract. I have 11 months to go on the first one. They want to suck me in for life. I told the no thank you keep your box, 2 year contract and another $480 ETF if I bail.

Rain fade has gotten no better on Direct, if anything probably worse using ka for HD.

Popcorn, You've got the same deal as we've got with H2H and Welcome Pak....with that plus OTA and FTA gives us plenty and in this house cost is always a factor
Blind

honestly if H2H was still on KU Band you'd have more customers.

There are people who arent going to spend the money to buy put up even a 6 foot dish and buy a "special" and outdated receiver to get channels that are in a "higher" tier on Dish/Direct but instead would rather pay the $5 or $10 more a month and just get them. If they dont like those channels they drop back down and arent out extra money. (except for the month they had them). Here is a great example. I see the "sports" package H2H is offering for $15 a month. I can add almost all those channels (ESPN Classic and HRTV exempt) for $5 more than what the basic package is with Directv.

There are LOTS of people who can't put up a larger dish...thats not opinion. Thats fact. And I'm not including folks in apartments who are extremely limited. Many folks who own their own home cant or wont put up a larger dish.
The only way I think I am getting by with my 6 footer is because I am the president of the HOA. More and more people are moving into HOA communities. Here where I live all they seem to build are HOA communities. So a 30-36" dish would be fine under OTARD but a larger dish can't be put up.
If it was still on X4 (99W KU) more folks with existing setups could add it just by getting a receiver. I know I'd look at it harder and maybe sub to something if it was.

Also the programming isn't very elaborate. They dont have any basic cable channels and that hurts them too. They can only carry Starz for movie channels. I know someone always talks about the 900 movie channels they could get back when gas was 1.09 a gallon but all I see available now is Starz which if Dish is giving it to all customers it cant be that good ;)
People bitch about NPS and their uplinks but at least you had an option of getting some channels. Now you don't. I go back when NPS had them and they had channels that I would sub to A&E, TruTV, MSNBC, USA, Spike, TNT, CNN, Fox News as example. Yeah the picture may not have been top quality but folks still got it because that was an option. Just like folks who sub to Globecast and their sometimes crappy picture. It gives them an option. Now that option for C-Band is gone..

Basically it comes down to 3 things
-what do you want in terms of channels and options
-what can you afford
-how bullheaded you are towards a provider. There are folks who wont switch between Directv or Dish because of their views towards the other. I wont go back to cable unless its absolutely necessary

There are a lot of valid points here and for me at least, what's important is that people know there is a choice. I consider myself lucky because I can throw up almost any dish without upsetting the neighbours. I'm tech savy and enjoy the challenge setting this stuff presents and the rewards it bring. A lot of people want to push a button and have TV - nothing wrong with that - they're paying for it too.

When NPS had those uplinks, we subbed them, they were pretty naff in terms of PQ - but again, it was an option.

I'm anti-contract, always have been and actively keep them to a minimum, heck I even hate auto-renewals for website hosting and the like.

Everyone is different and as I've said before, awareness and knowledge is what I consider important, people should know what's out there.

True story... I recently decided to revive my turntable setup so I stopped by a high street music store and asked a staff member if they had Adele - 21 on vinyl... well, the look on his face was priceless!!! Even funnier was when he checked the computer system and found they had them on order ROFL!

Popcorn, You've got the same deal as we've got with H2H and Welcome Pak....with that plus OTA and FTA gives us plenty and in this house cost is always a factor
Blind

Do you have the Digital Basic or Digital Deluxe package? We got the Digital Deluxe package for 3 months, so that we can see what channels we watch the most and then will decide either to stay with the Digital Deluxe or downgrade to the Digital Basic.

what are you talking about? Dish isnt dropping any SD feeds. If a SD feed goes away from the provider the HD feed is downconverted to SD. And these cases are pretty rare

I am looking at my guide now and many are gone. Some are still there. First noted that about 2 days ago.

Trinidex,

Thinking of vinyl last week I went into a FYI store and was surprised to see a selection of new vinyl albums from current artists such as Lady GaGa. It looks like vinyl may be making a comeback. Hopefully the same will be true for C band satellite.

I am looking at my guide now and many are gone. Some are still there. First noted that about 2 days ago.

This is due to a new firmware upgrade Dish Network released. You can go into the menu to get the SD versions of these channels back into the guide.

Its all about your situation. Some people like apple some oranges. I'm not a sports nut either. I like music H2H provides that. The few basic channels I want are in the family pack on Direct. Ice talks about a $5.00 difference from the basic pack for the high tier channels. He forgot to mention that choice (the basic pack he talks about) is $60.99 a month and choice xtra is $65.99, but hell your paying $61 bucks already for basic. Direct offers family for $29.99 and select for 40 something but don't advertise them. They really want you to get choice for $61.

HD I can take it or leave it. A good looking SD picture is fine with me. I almost got sucked into the HDlite thing with D* when I ordered. Even had it written up then I came to my senses before I finalized the install date. I'm glad I did. They sure sugar coated the sales pitch and almost got me.

The point is everyone has to do what they have to do. I like what I can get and do. The other guy will say I'm stupid and his way is the best. To each their own.

I just logged into DirecTV's website to see if I could find a less expense channel package for my parent's who currently pay $70.99 for Choice Ultimate without any HD channels. I was shocked to see that DirecTV's packages begin at $60. :eek: This is roughly $10 more than what I currently pay for the DN Welcome Package and H2H Digital Deluxe Package combined.

I'm going to see if I can switch my parents to DirecTV's Family Package in order to save them some money.

I just logged into DirecTV's website to see if I could find a less expense channel package for my parent's who currently pay $70.99 for Choice Ultimate without any HD channels. I was shocked to see that DirecTV's packages begin at $60. :eek: This is roughly $10 more than what I currently pay for the DN Welcome Package and H2H Digital Deluxe Package combined.

I'm going to see if I can switch my parents to DirecTV's Family Package in order to save them some money.

To get the family package you have to request it over the phone from the CSR. It's really simple if you know about it :)

Attached is an updated Welcome & Digital Deluxe Package chart.

Discovered this morning that the Welcome Package includes "TV Guide" and "INSP" channels. TV Guide airs several TV shows / movies and INSP airs several retro shows such as The Waltons, Our House and Highway to Heaven. What a great value for only $14.99 a month.

On the H2H Digital Deluxe Package side I added an icon for "Fuse" and corrected "VH1 Country" to "CMT Pure" (channel 235) and "CMT Pure" to "VH1 Soul" (channel 236).

My wife is now addicted to "Halogen". Which I might add is not available on DirecTV or Dish Network. :) It looks like H2H might be staying in this household for months to come. ;)

Attachments

• TV_Channels.xls
    138.5 KB · Views: 101
TV guide E &W masters are ITC on G1 on C band. INSP is also ITC on G1. Halogen is in the INSP master mux but encrypted. These are all DC-2, excellent PQ better than I see on pizza :D Next you need a 4DTV popcorn :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts