DirecTV CEO: NFL deal for the long haul

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exclusive: NFL, DirecTV agree to framework for Sunday Ticket deal http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/12/us-nfl-directv-idUSBRE9BB1CW20131212 Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal..... The longstanding agreement that gives DirecTV exclusive access to the Sunday Ticket package that gives NFL fans the ability to watch every game expires after next season. But the two sides have apparently come to terms on a new deal.Multiple reports on Thursday say the league and the satellite TV provider have agreed to keep Sunday Ticket on DirecTV for years to come.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...unday-ticket-deal/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Last edited:
NFL denies new deal reached with DirecTV
By The Sports XchangeDecember 13, 2013 10:45 AMThe SportsXchange

. .

The NFL denied reports that it reached a new deal with DirecTV to keep the Sunday Ticket package exclusively on satellite television.
"We do not have an agreement. Any speculation or reports to the contrary are not accurate," NFL Media Group vice president of communications Alex Riethmiller told Sports Business Daily on Friday.
Multiple media outlets reported Thursday that the two sides reached an agreement.
If DirecTV is unable to agree to a new contract with the NFL, negotiations could open up to the cable companies or Internet distributors including YouTube or Netflix.
"We've had very, very constructive conversations with the NFL, but it's complex," DirecTV CEO Michael White told Variety on Thursday. "I'm very optimistic we will get an exclusive deal done on NFL Sunday Ticket."
DirecTV's current contract with the NFL expires at the end of the 2014 season. DirecTV pays the league about $1 billion a year for the Sunday Ticket package.
imo something is fishy here and I beliee there is a deal in place or close to being finalized and detaila got to fast!! :)

There is no way in a billion years that Dish and DirecTV would be allowed to merge under the current administration. They didn't allow AT&T and T-Mobile, they won't allow Dish and DirecTV. FiOS and U-Verse are not widespread enough to be a new competitor to offset the loss of an option.

Washington permitted the formation of the nation's largest air carrier..American/US Airways..
The one stumbing block is Charlie. He is not well liked. Especially not so inside the Beltway.
Anything that may be perceived as a benefit to Charlie will be stopped.

Since the inception of the NFL Red Zone Channel, I have lost interest in ST...
It's really not of any use to me. The thing that sucks is from my understanding, D* subs must buy ST in order to get the Red Zone..
I have it on Dish.

DirecTV CEO calls potential Dish merger "pro-consumer" http://www.cnbc.com/id/101175802?__...yahoo&doc=101175802|DirecTV CEO: Potential Di Dish-DirecTV merger? Hold your horses (video) http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000215293

The two companies are problematic for consumers.

DirecTV has let down customers by not coming through timely with basic cable programmers' high definition. Dish Network has been "penny wise pound foolish" in losing programming in HD that it needs to be carrying all the time (as other companies do). So I don't know what benefit there would be for the two companies to merge.

They can claim it's better negotiating power for programmer contracts. But that may not be true.

Three years after having lost Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel, AT&T U-verse still hasn't come to terms for a new contract with Crown Media Inc. And AT&T U-verse is the No. 5-ranked cable provider in the United States. There is probably a pissing match between those two; yet Crown Media may be telling AT&T U-verse, "our programming can live without your carriage." No. 5 isn't a bad rank. AT&T U-verse is definitely a player. But it's no wonder ABC/Disney, much more powerful than Crown Media Inc., is waiting for Dish Network to buckle. If ABC/Disney had that dispute with DirecTV, the company would do the same thing: make DirecTV buckle. So I don't think the negotiating power is all that should there become a merge of Dish Network and DirecTV.

The only thing I'd bet on is that the merged companies, becoming one, would go with the name DirecTV.

Since the inception of the NFL Red Zone Channel, I have lost interest in ST...
It's really not of any use to me. The thing that sucks is from my understanding, D* subs must buy ST in order to get the Red Zone..
I have it on Dish.
See, now I'm just the opposite ....

I watch MY teams games, when they are over, I look around for the next Big game, I hardly ever turn the Red Zone channel on.

Really have little use for the channel.

DirecTV Is Poised to Score with NFL Sunday Ticket Contract December 15, 2013 http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...th-nfl-sunday-ticket-contract.html/?a=viewall Sounds like it is close if not done already!! :)

From the report:

"Carrying NFL Sunday Ticket is crucially important to DirecTV’s business. Not only has the El Segundo, California-based company long been the provider of the popular package, it now also faces increased competition in the pay-TV arena."

It's DirecTV's top identity. The company will not want another cable provider to be able to offer NFL Sunday Ticket.

Later, in article, it says that a "framework" is agreed but that this isn't actually official. I think a new contract will get reached to continue the exclusivity.

The two companies are problematic for consumers.

DirecTV has let down customers by not coming through timely with basic cable programmers' high definition. Dish Network has been "penny wise pound foolish" in losing programming in HD that it needs to be carrying all the time (as other companies do). So I don't know what benefit there would be for the two companies to merge.

It would be nice if Cable co had to play by the same rules that Sats do, or vice versa.

See, now I'm just the opposite ....

I watch MY teams games, when they are over, I look around for the next Big game, I hardly ever turn the Red Zone channel on.

Really have little use for the channel.
I make bets and I'm in a pool where we have to pick all the games by point spread..
So the RZ Channel makes more sense for me.
Besides, I have trouble sitting through ONE game without switching channels.
Even if the Giants( yes, I know they suck sideways this season) are on locally here, I will cut away from their game and head over to the RZ channel to check on other games.

How much does Directv pay to have its own RZC when there is one that NFL Network does? What is the difference between them? I have never seen the NFL Network version. Is it cheaper this way somehow?

I make bets and I'm in a pool where we have to pick all the games by point spread..
So the RZ Channel makes more sense for me.
Besides, I have trouble sitting through ONE game without switching channels.
Even if the Giants( yes, I know they suck sideways this season) are on locally here, I will cut away from their game and head over to the RZ channel to check on other games.

YOU are the EXACT person that the RZC was made for. :D

Personally I don't do Fantasy football, could never ROOT for players on the opposite team, it just defeats the purpose of having competitive football.

RZC was invented for those people.

I have NO NEED for that, I do get the Max, but thats only so I can get the games online as well, which I have not had much luck with on my Android, so if I'm smart, I'll save the money next year ... but then they make you a much better offer to get or keep the Maxc portion and I always end up with it anyways.

How much does Directv pay to have its own RZC when there is one that NFL Network does? What is the difference between them? I have never seen the NFL Network version. Is it cheaper this way somehow?

D* had thier version originally and the NFL N copied it ... many like the NFL N version better, but it comes down to preference I guess.

I'm actually a fantasy player and in a points spread pickem and the Red Zone is worthless to us. We watch 2-3 tvs with emphasis on favorite team then best matchup/game, etc. There's apps to follow your fantasy scoring.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)