DIRECTV in Las Vegas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott that new Server that outputs to 4k over HDMI that will be out in a year will just have the current guide on it?
No idea. I was told that server may not see the light of day or only be used in commercial establishments. They wouldn't give more details.

Reactions: QCK
Joseph Gordon Levitt takes the stage.

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

over a year? way too long. find out if they are prepared to lose subs over the wait
They're waiting over a year because 4K standards are still getting worked out.

Ask anyone in broadcasting and they'll tell you this.

There is no risk in waiting; there'd be a bigger risk in making the wrong investment now.

They're waiting over a year because 4K standards are still getting worked out.

Ask anyone in broadcasting and they'll tell you this.

There is no risk in waiting; there'd be a bigger risk in making the wrong investment now.
Why does the ATSC 3.0 standards have anything to do with AT&T waiting for a year to release a new STB that does 4K via it's HDMI and not needing a client? AT&T doesn't care about OTA reception anymore so that's not the reason for a holdup.

Scott does the guide run fast on the 4k sets? Also when I tried it on my Samsung 2012 the guide and PQ looked washed out even adjusting the settings.
Not Scott but I can tell you the difference using the RVU client on a Samsung 2016 model vs a Samsung 2013 is night and day. If it wasn't for the client not supporting screen fit mode I'd probably give back the C61K and just use the client.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Why does the ATSC 3.0 standards have anything to do with AT&T waiting for a year to release a new STB that does 4K via it's HDMI and not needing a client? AT&T doesn't care about OTA reception anymore so that's not the reason for a holdup.
Because it's not just ATSC standards. I've posted previously about this. Most high-def shops are waiting on both protocol and physical topology standards to be set before they make the same (or greater) sunk cost in 4K as they have in HD.

Remember -- most broadcasters are only at 720p/1080i. They'd have to make a similar major investment just to get to 1080p.

None of this is simply flipping a switch. We only see 4K over sat because it's merely air streaming bits.

You realize a 4K stream is 12GB, yes? That should give you a better idea.

Because it's not just ATSC standards. I've posted previously about this. Most high-def shops are waiting on both protocol and physical topology standards to be set before they make the same (or greater) sunk cost in 4K as they have in HD.

Remember -- most broadcasters are only at 720p/1080i. They'd have to make a similar major investment just to get to 1080p.

None of this is simply flipping a switch.
And again what does that have to do with why AT&T would wait? Whatever broadcasters decide to do on their end is up to them, as long as the standard between the set top box and the TV's HDMI input isn't changing who cares about the production end of the equation?

And again what does that have to do with why AT&T would wait? Whatever broadcasters decide to do on their end is up to them, as long as the standard between the set top box and the TV's HDMI input isn't changing who cares about the production end of the equation?
Why should a business invest in change that won't be realized until later? Most cost decisions are to resolve issues now, not for things that could potentially change in major ways.

Why not just treat the C61k like a regular Genie Mini, they still charge for that. They still charge a mirroring fee for the RVU 4k TV.

Ok the keynote with AT&T / DIRECTV execs is about to start. I will report anything of interest regarding DIRECTV.

They kick off by announcing 5G is coming. It will be interesting to see how fast that is.

The AT&T LTE Network (here in the hotel) is over 85 Mb/s however the AT&T Wifi is only testing out at 21 Mb/s. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)