DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well .... that being said and since Directv did NOT get it done, I guess this proves there is no difference...
No. You are like the third person to bring this up after it has been addressed countless times.

Let me rephrase. DirecTV does not get it done every single time. Few things in this world are 100%. But there is a big difference between DirecTV and Dish as with DirecTV they usually do get it done. That is what Ice meant. If you really believe there is no difference between the two providers when it comes to disputes, you can keep believing that. In truth, these two are miles apart when it comes to settling disputes.

Also, they technically did get this one done as well. It is Tribune that reneged on the deal at the last minute after they had a verbal agreement.

No. You are like the third person to bring this up after it has been addressed countless times.

Let me rephrase. DirecTV does not get it done every single time. Few things in this world are 100%. But there is a big difference between DirecTV and Dish as with DirecTV they usually do get it done. That is what Ice meant. If you really believe there is no difference between the two providers when it comes to disputes, you can keep believing that. In truth, these two are miles apart when it comes to settling disputes.

Also, they technically did get this one done as well. It is Tribune that reneged on the deal at the last minute after they had a verbal agreement.
we all know D* will have it done by opening day

As compared to Dish, of course Direct usually gets this done before a take-down. That can't even be argued. That doesn't mean they got a deal they wanted or maybe even a good one those times, it may mean they weighed cost to inconvenience of losing the channels. In my mind in this case they again did reach a deal. I am convinced of it, but the other side didn't honor what the person negotiating agreed to.

just a reminder that trolling is against the rules of this site. any other posts that exhibit this behavior will be nuked. and persistence will get you some time off. so please lets get this thread back on topic.

I see two things happening here. First, there is trolling. However, some people, some of who are really surprising to me, are taking it to heart. This is the classic, my dog's better than your dog scenario. Second, people are having trouble accepting the fact that in this rare occasion, DirecTV subs are experiencing the frustration that we at Dish experience more often. Despite the fact that trolls are here, it's poking those who usually have comments about the competition in a sore spot.

In turn, trolling is really stupid. Considering it's actually just being internet tough guys. However, people need to calm down a little bit. Like I said, some people who are known to keep their composure are losing their cool over some stupid things some nerd no better than me said on his computer over a company that he doesn't even subscribe to.

To Dish subs, really, you are all the first to cry when we're getting the crap end of the stick and DirecTV subs are the ones trolling.

To DirecTV subs, I said it before. You made your choice and are happy with it, so who cares what some pecker has to say.

Tampa8 said:
As compared to Dish, of course Direct usually gets this done before a take-down. That can't even be argued. That doesn't mean they got a deal they wanted or maybe even a good one those times, it may mean they weighed cost to inconvenience of losing the channels. In my mind in this case they again did reach a deal. I am convinced of it, but the other side didn't honor what the person negotiating agreed to.

I can't speak of DirecTV, because I never subbed to them, but it is largely why cable is through the roof. They cut deals and pass it on to the subs, no questions asked. You're right. It's a weighing: inconvenience to money. DirecTV would rather keep the channels up and Dish would rather save money. It's two different business models who up to now work in their own way.

I can't speak of DirecTV, because I never subbed to them, but it is largely why cable is through the roof. They cut deals and pass it on to the subs, no questions asked. You're right. It's a weighing: inconvenience to money. DirecTV would rather keep the channels up and Dish would rather save money. It's two different business models who up to now work in their own way.
but Dish doesnt pass on the savings

I can't imagine DTV not getting a deal done by Thursday. I've seen DTV run into this situation before with a big sporting event coming up and they always seem to get the job done at the last moment.

The biggest reason I pay attention to this is because it can lead to Dish sales for us. I remember a few years ago when DTV was having a dispute with our local FOX station. The Iowa bowl game was on that channel and we had people freaking out and signing up for Dish so they wouldn't miss it. DTV ended up getting a deal done at the last minute and no one missed it.

The Cubs home opener isn't as big a deal but I can't help but wonder what local pub is going to do for the game if he isn't able to show it. I'm pretty sure he still has cable as a back up though.

but Dish doesnt pass on the savings

I won't hijack the thread, but I say you are wrong. There are many ways to pass on the savings. If you want examples start a post in the Dish forum.... :)

Is there a Pappas dispute too?
Yes, Pappas pulled their stations from DTV on the 31st as well over a dispute. Pappas is crying that they want more than what 99.99% of broadcast stations are getting, and keep comparing themselves to what ESPN is getting. What I found funny about all of this is that in November the ads bashed Dish and told everyone to go to DTV. Now, the ads are bashing DTV and telling everyone to go to Dish. Exact same ad other than that change.

It's pulled a local ABC and Fox affiliate from DTV for us, but we have a second ABC affiliate in our area through DTV, and Fox can pound sand as far as I'm concerned since they cancelled 24. However, the new message on our local ABC's site has a different tone since the area is up in arms over missing the Nascar race. The affiliates are losing the PR battle here big time.

Directv is saying Tribune management agreed on the deal but were then overruled by hedge fund and investment bank creditors. Directv has filed a complaint with the FCC

http://www.variety.com/article/VR11...ews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Here is the direct link to the complaint that DirecTV filed
http://images1.variety.com/graphics...RECTV Complaint re Tribune 4-2-12[1] copy.pdf

Seems like DirecTV did everything they could to keep the channels and Tribune played hardball the whole time and DirecTV was never really negotiating with anyone that actually had the power to accept their offer.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that D* will do anyting to compensate and/or help customers in this situation?

Possible remedies---a credit of some kind
Launch one or more superstatiations and see if Tribune asks for blackouts
You tell me.

Persoanlly I think they might do the first thing. I persoannlly doubt they would try to offerea superstataion----but I never thought this dispute would go this long.

Last edited:
Well .... that being said and since Directv did NOT get it done, I guess this proves there is no difference...

Huh imagine that. guess Direct Tv didn't get the job done after all. its all good though, That would have given Direct Tv an excuse to raise there prices

It appears they actually did get the deal done.

Directv is saying Tribune management agreed on the deal but were then overruled by hedge fund and investment bank creditors. Directv has filed a complaint with the FCC

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052187.html?cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

its not done till they sign the dotted line
The deal was done and was agreed upon. It was a third party that put a stop to it. IOW, this is not the same thing as many of those Dish trolls are trying to make it appear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts