DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
K9SAT said:
I just sent an email to tribunes and directv's management... Got the email adresses from the lawsuit... This is what I said.

Dear Tribune and DirecTV,

I received your email from the law suit that Directv brought on which is now publicly posted. I have a hard time believing that Tribune negotiated with DirecTV in good faith, as a loyal WGN9 viewer I am very disappointed in the fact that you have not put the subscriber first. As a subscriber, I pay my bill every month to DirecTV for access to WGN which is broadcasted for free, and I currently am receiving WGN9 through my over the air tuner (AM21) connected to my DirecTV satellite system. Unfortunately, not every subscriber can receive your OTA signal like how my setup is.

What concerns me is the fact that you all failed to let DirecTV keep your signal on after the contract expired allowing viewers to continue to recive your signal through DirecTV, and failed to pro-rate the new contract effective the date of the contract expiring once a deal was reached. I am also disappointed that CLTVHD was not a part of this deal as access to WGN's and CLTV's programming is essential for viewers to keep informed in the Chicago Land area. Both stations provide a public service in the event of breaking news, weather and other disasters. You have essentially cut off many of your subscriber’s access to this coverage and forced them to go elsewhere for their news and public services that WGN and CLTV provides. I don't understand how advertiser's put up with this loss of eyeballs, and revenue.

You have lost the public trust that is granted by the FCC to YOU as you broadcast on public airwaves, and those airwaves are extended by WGN's broadcast partners such as DirecTV. DirecTV brings you an audience that you normally would not be able to reach due technical reasons such as antenna placement, or practicality of an OTA installation. In my view those signals should be given to Directv for FREE as they are publicaly avaliable for FREE! I understand that I pay DirecTV a fee for access to my local channels and that fee goes to cover the associated related transmission costs for Directv to bring that signal to my home which includes research and development into technologies such as spot beam satellites.

I find WGN's lack of attention to detail in regards to the subscriber very disturbing and that directly reflects upon WGN's management. When WGN does come back to DirecTV, I expect it to be better than ever as well as I expect to see CLTVHD added to Chicago's lineup as a part of this deal. I chose DirecTV for their value, high definition picture quality and sound. While DirecTV is not perfect and can use some fine tuning in the carriage of their national HD channels. They provide me with a great lineup for the increasing cost of cable bills, with the most entertainment possible on multiple levels such as sports and movies in HD. I expect DirecTV to keep my bills low as eventually subscribers will start and have started to pull the plug for alternative means such as Hulu and other IPTV based products that are cheaper. Every year cable prices go up across the board due to outrageous demands by providers such as yourself whom have failed to put the viewer first and come up with innovative ways to introduce new revenue streams. That failure is on the management of Tribune and not of those of DirecTV or its subscribers. It is the subscribers who are caught in the middle and hurt the most.

I expect WGN to remember whom they are here to serve and put the subscribers first. It is the subscribers whom pay Tribunes bills through the viewing of advertisings on your channel, as well as paying for carriage of WGN America as a part of my programming package. Not the banks! It is very sad to see WGN and Tribune forget whom they serve. There is a reason why Tribune is in bankruptcy, and acts like this one shows the public exactly why Tribune has failed. Please act upon what is in your best interests, and those interests lie within the subscriber whom is your bread and butter, they make or break you.

Cheers

So you sent an ineffective email to DirecTV bashing Tribune?

How would YOU have addressed it ?

I thought it was a great email ...

You always send to BOTH parties.

I don't know that you always do it but it is not an unreasonable course of action. I thought he wanted DirecTV to know he supported them and tribune to know he did not.

At least he is trying to make his voice heard and that can't be all bad.

The reason I believe DIRECTV had a verbal/principal agreement is because DIRECTV released an offical statement saying that they finaly got a deal so customers would not lose their local stations and that they were going to make a separate agreement for WGN America. I find it hard to believe that DIRECTV would release a false statement. They would have nothing to gain by releasing such a statement. They would lose their customers trust if they made a false statement and DIRECTV Coporate would know that.

adkinsjm said:
Send a letter or call. Emails are ineffective.

In this case they were sent directly to the negotiators for d* and tribune! Just as effective! I did get a super quick response back from directv thanking me for my support. Tribune has yet to reply back!

The article makes it lok like the other party did jump the gun in this case but you have to wonder if tribune is even aware of how bad they look.

The article makes it lok like the other party did jump the gun in this case but you have to wonder if tribune is even aware of how bad they look.

Yea, but if you read the 1st article about it, (which is linked to in the article), it also mentions that WCIU was approached by WGN to do this. The denial statement makes it sound like they had no desire to participate. The common denominator in this is the Tribune, I agree that that are making themselves look pretty bad.

Yea, but if you read the 1st article about it, (which is linked to in the article), it also mentions that WCIU was approached by WGN to do this. The denial statement makes it sound like they had no desire to participate. The common denominator in this is the Tribune, I agree that that are making themselves look pretty bad.

I did but i still don't think that weigel should have made the announcement when they did. Still Tribune just looks horrible

I guess that is directed at me. If you think I am a troll so be it. I guess it all depends on where you sit.

you haven't trolled at all. trolls bring nothing of value to the discussion and do their best to stir the "pot".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)