Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don’t see much value in 5G for mobile at mm wave. At 600MHz, yes. But not when a 5G cell tower must be every 1,000-2,000 feet to support the super high frequencies.

An outdoor 5G antenna probably doesn't benefit from being on the roof. The reason a lot of satellite dishes go there is because they look 'up' and it is easier to miss trees that way. A 5G antenna will be mostly looking 'sideways' where an extra few feet of height won't make a difference with trees.

I think there's room for self-installs on 5G fixed wireless, though probably not right away as AT&T/Verizon/etc. will want more control over the process at first.

I don’t see much value in 5G for mobile at mm wave. At 600MHz, yes. But not when a 5G cell tower must be every 1,000-2,000 feet to support the super high frequencies.

Super high frequencies are necessary if you actually want people to get high speeds, because that's where most of the available radio bandwidth is. If you try to cover a few square miles at 600 MHz with a single antenna, you better hope you only have a few dozen customers. There just isn't enough radio bandwidth in those low frequencies to give people anywhere near the kind of speeds 5G is claiming to offer except in rural areas where population density is very low. In urban/suburban areas 600 MHz fixed wireless is a non-starter.

IF that would happen, they would eliminate 1/2 thier work force and a ton of people would be out of work.
Sounds like the phone company I know and love...that's usually the plan but reality is that they end up hiring more to fix the problem the plan created

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Shhhhh the CEO might read this and get a clue..but alas the savings in manpower more than make up the difference in additional towers....on a spreadsheet any way

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

If AT&T changes it to internet only they will basically just turn into a Comcast. The only ones getting the service will be through there wires . I don’t have AT&T I am in Comcast and Fios territory . If I wanted to add Directv it would have to come down other providers pipes. And this free ride for OTT is almost over.

AT&T's head honchos have repeatedly stated that their forthcoming service -- being positioned as "full DirecTV over the internet" -- will be OTT. That they will be "agnostic" as to whose broadband connection the service traverses to get to the AT&T STB in the home. This new service will be powered by the same OTT cloud-based video platform that their current OTT product, DirecTV Now, uses. The only differences between the two is that the forthcoming service will be accessed over AT&T's own STBs (rather than retail devices like Roku, Apple TV, etc.), plus it will cost more but be structured in terms of channels and features much more like a traditional full-service cable/satellite TV product.

AT&T realizes that they're nowhere close to offering home internet service across the country, whether through DSL, FTTN, FTTH or fixed 5G. So if they want to replace satellite, with its nationwide reach, with some other distribution system, then OTT is really the only way to go. (Although, as AT&T has said, the transition from satellite to OTT will take time and will mainly happen in well-connected urban/suburban areas first.)

Of course, AT&T will zero-rate the data you use in watching their OTT TV services so that it doesn't count against your data cap if you have AT&T home or mobile internet. And of course if you're connected through a different provider, such as Comcast, then AT&T's OTT TV services WILL count against your data cap. But the fly in the ointment here is net neutrality. If CA and other states do end up passing strict net neutrality laws, then in those states AT&T wouldn't be able to zero-rate the data from their own services while counting data from other services (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, general web browsing) against your data cap. So I think what would happen is that AT&T would just drop data caps completely in those areas. Which, of course, would give their home internet and wireless services a competitive advantage against the likes of ISPs like Comcast if they retained their data caps. (All of Comcast's TV services delivered to the home are either traditional QAM cable or managed IPTV; none of it is OTT, so they apparently don't have to worry about zero-rating their own services and could, I suppose, retain data caps even if net neutrality passes.)

I am convinced more than ever that att is kicking satellite to the curb after the ad I just saw at work For D*. Back to dish for me...

Cheaper, better tech, better customer service, better signal reliability and last time I checked, no mention of shifting away from satellite. Only thing keeping me with D* is sports, EI on dish is a mess...
I can dispute most of your claims, but I won't.

Cheaper, better tech, better customer service, better signal reliability and last time I checked, no mention of shifting away from satellite. Only thing keeping me with D* is sports, EI on dish is a mess...
Cheaper, sometimes. Better customer service, debatable. Better signal reliability, not that I've heard.

Reactions: Jimbo
Cheaper, sometimes. Better customer service, debatable. Better signal reliability, not that I've heard.
In my experience customer service was always friendly and helpful. During rain my dish service would only go out during a massive downpour and on DirecTV any little sprinkles and adios signal...

In my experience customer service was always friendly and helpful. During rain my dish service would only go out during a massive downpour and on DirecTV any little sprinkles and adios signal...
If you lose signal in a light rain you have other issues, most likely alignment

Did you ever go out and check your dish adjustments, check you SS in the meters ?
A light rain should not cause you to lose service .... a hard downpour, possibly.
Sounds like your not aligned correctly or maybe loose connection somewhere.

Did you ever go out and check your dish adjustments, check you SS in the meters ?
A light rain should not cause you to lose service .... a hard downpour, possibly.
Sounds like your not aligned correctly or maybe loose connection somewhere.
I did post about that a couple of months back and everything came back fine on my end. The next step is to talk to my property manager at the apartment complex and see if they can check the dish out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts