Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did post about that a couple of months back and everything came back fine on my end. The next step is to talk to my property manager at the apartment complex and see if they can check the dish out
This is a MDU set up, or specifically for your own location ?
If its an MDU, have you asked others if they have the same issue ?

Ok guys so my uncle had to get dtv now cause the apartment complex didn't allow him to get satellite and I asked the rep if DTV satellite is going away in favor of dtv now and the answer... Drumroll please..............No!!!! He clarified that DTV Now and DTV satellite are marketed towards two different customer bases and that ATT has invested too much into satellite to just drop it and the profit from D* subs is too much to just let go. My mind is at ease for now...

Reactions: navychop
Ok guys so my uncle had to get dtv now cause the apartment complex didn't allow him to get satellite and I asked the rep if DTV satellite is going away in favor of dtv now and the answer... Drumroll please..............No!!!! He clarified that DTV Now and DTV satellite are marketed towards two different customer bases and that ATT has invested too much into satellite to just drop it and the profit from D* subs is too much to just let go. My mind is at ease for now...
I've been saying that for many months in the threads ....
Everyone that says its going away, WANTS it to go away.

As I mentioned, its just another option for people to use thier service one way or the other.

Reactions: Pere845
Was your uncle told why he couldn't have satellite?

While I agree with the rep in this case, trusting what Directv's CSRs tell you will lead you on a LOT of wrong paths. Call them three times and you'll get three different answers to a question - even a yes/no question! :coco

While I agree with the rep in this case, trusting what Directv's CSRs tell you will lead you on a LOT of wrong paths. Call them three times and you'll get three different answers to a question - even a yes/no question! :coco
Call three times and get four different answers!

Yes, the CSRs probably don't know the future of DTV. Instead of calling them get ahold of someone at DTV/ATT corporate headquarters in El Segundo, CA like I did and you will get the bottom line answer. Which by the way does not agree with what the CSR said. I love satellite and will be really disappointed if it goes away and I've been convinced by current DTV employees it will.

Yes, the CSRs probably don't know the future of DTV. Instead of calling them get ahold of someone at DTV/ATT corporate headquarters in El Segundo, CA like I did and you will get the bottom line answer. Which by the way does not agree with what the CSR said. I love satellite and will be really disappointed if it goes away and I've been convinced by current DTV employees it will.
How has DTV employees convinced you its going away?

By stating to me they were told by upper management the new push and focus is for content delivery over broadband and that all new satellite purchases have been canceled except for one in the works, the engineering group that builds out the satellite infrastructure has nearly all been laid off, the group that flew some of the sats has been disbanded or laid off, etc.

At least one satellite uplink facility has had massive fiber build out, much more than could ever be used for what that facility had been doing. Plus the techs and engineers at some satellite uplink facilities that maintain the satellite uplink equipment have been laid off and scaled back to a fraction of the personnel they had. The latter may just be ATT not understanding the nature of the satellite business and gambling that the equipment will not require maintenance and will not break.

Any other questions?

By stating to me they were told by upper management the new push and focus is for content delivery over broadband and that all new satellite purchases have been canceled except for one in the works, the engineering group that builds out the satellite infrastructure has nearly all been laid off, the group that flew some of the sats has been disbanded or laid off, etc.

At least one satellite uplink facility has had massive fiber build out, much more than could ever be used for what that facility had been doing. Plus the techs and engineers at some satellite uplink facilities that maintain the satellite uplink equipment have been laid off and scaled back to a fraction of the personnel they had. The latter may just be ATT not understanding the nature of the satellite business and gambling that the equipment will not require maintenance and will not break.

Any other questions?
Sorry, I hope I wasn't sounding sarcastic in my last post :) I was just curious. Do you have any other info about that full DTV over the internet coming this Fall? I guess it will use the DTV NOW 2.0 interface and not the new interface that is out for DTV?

I have nothing more at the moment but will see what some current employees are willing to share. Many of my ex co-workers have been laid off or have retired so there are not many left to ask.

I have nothing more at the moment but will see what some current employees are willing to share. Many of my ex co-workers have been laid off or have retired so there are not many left to ask.
Ok thanks. Do you know when the are shutting down UVerseTV? Or do they still plan on keeping that but turning that into DTV over managed IPTV? Maybe just have DTV over managed and unmanaged IPTV or just unmanaged IPTV? Also what year do you think AT&T would go all OTT? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)