Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't know anything about the ATT side of things, my current DTV employee friends are more on the satellite uplink hardware and a little set top box stuff.

Do you know if the DirecTV people know about some of the concerns in the some of the people in these forums say about their concerns about going all OTT with having enough internet speed especially in the rural areas. Also some people not having internet at all and how that would affect them being national like SatelliteTV would? I think it would be cool if you could get the same exact DTV experience that you get with SatelliteTV you can get that with OTT that would be cool.

Cheaper, better tech, better customer service, better signal reliability and last time I checked, no mention of shifting away from satellite. Only thing keeping me with D* is sports, EI on dish is a mess...

I can agree about the better tech (equipment) the Hopper 3 and Joeys are one of the main reasons I stay with Dish. Hard to beat 16 tuners (or 32 in my case with two H3’s).

Reactions: Pere845
I can agree about the better tech (equipment) the Hopper 3 and Joeys are one of the main reasons I stay with Dish. Hard to beat 16 tuners (or 32 in my case with two H3’s).
Only thing holding me back from switching is the sports options on Dish but I am prepared to use my Chromecast for MLB and NBA programming if I decide to switch

Only thing holding me back from switching is the sports options on Dish but I am prepared to use my Chromecast for MLB and NBA programming if I decide to switch

I could actually get a better deal with DirecTV using an AT&T Wireless bundling discount. DirecTV service used to be pretty good, but I have heard many horror stories about customer service and billing since AT&T took over. And, I like Dish equipment much, much better.

Do you have a family of two dozen people? How could you possibly ever use 32 tuners, or even 16 for that matter?

I could actually get a better deal with DirecTV using an AT&T Wireless bundling discount. DirecTV service used to be pretty good, but I have heard many horror stories about customer service and billing since AT&T took over. And, I like Dish equipment much, much better.
sadly its true, once AT&T took over customer service nose dived and billing is a joke. my genie is barely usable since the UI update and its just too dang expensive! I have ATT Prepaid so I do get data free streaming on the app but I much prefer Dish.

Never had a conversation about OTT, when I see or talk with ex coworkers, its usually about the fact they still have jobs and how things have changed in the areas I worked. I do ask them why I'm seeing lots of picture freezing, pixelization and audio drop outs compared to before ATT took over and we have our theories for that, but I don't have access to customer outage records any longer to know those details.

I have nothing more at the moment but will see what some current employees are willing to share. Many of my ex co-workers have been laid off or have retired so there are not many left to ask.
Do any of these employees actually have contacts to those that make those calls ?

I work there and it would be nearly impossible for me to contact those out there that are in the know.

Now if they are passing this info on the intracompany email/videos, thats different.

Ok thanks. Do you know when the are shutting down UVerseTV? Or do they still plan on keeping that but turning that into DTV over managed IPTV? Maybe just have DTV over managed and unmanaged IPTV or just unmanaged IPTV? Also what year do you think AT&T would go all OTT? Thanks.
Remember, they have been talking about shutting down U Verse for YEARS now ...
There was even a DATE given earlier and its Long past and U Verse is still running.

They have discontinued Pushing U Verse sales wise in favor of D* and now D Now ... however, they still turn on new U Verse accounts for TV If you ask specifically for it.

As for U Verse in general, it will be around for a LONG time, Internet wise ... I put that in daily.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
sadly its true, once AT&T took over customer service nose dived and billing is a joke. my genie is barely usable since the UI update and its just too dang expensive! I have ATT Prepaid so I do get data free streaming on the app but I much prefer Dish.
Lol ... you guys are amazing ....
When ATT took over, do you actually think that they took the 1000's of CSR's and just canned them and replaced all of them with att employees ?
Of course not ... (yes, some jobs were cut as with any company that merges) the majority of the CSR's that were there with D* are with them now, so NO, when ATT took over, the Customer service has not suddenly gone down the tank.

Billing on the other hand got screwed up when they tried bundling services ....
Fwiw, if you paid attention here, we all told you to NOT bundle your bills.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Hmm, thats why those of us with D* have actual recvrs, vs clients. (genies only)

I thought you could only have one Genie per account with DirecTV, and if you wanted you could mix in HR2x series receivers if you want to purchase them.
If you’ve only got one Genie you’re in the same boat as Dish, since the clients rely on the Genie just like the Joeys do on the Hopper.
At least Dish will activate multiple Hoppers.
You can also have a Wally or 211 series on the account as well.

I thought you could only have one Genie per account with DirecTV, and if you wanted you could mix in HR2x series receivers if you want to purchase them.
If you’ve only got one Genie you’re in the same boat as Dish, since the clients rely on the Genie just like the Joeys do on the Hopper.
Yes only I Genie per account but could get GR 24 with it to have extra tuners

The groups I worked with and the people still there that I know are well removed from any streaming activities. If I still worked there I would just call the Chief Technology Officer and ask what are we doing with streaming and OTT, but they are gone too.

The groups I worked with and the people still there that I know are well removed from any streaming activities. If I still worked there I would just call the Chief Technology Officer and ask what are we doing with streaming and OTT, but they are gone too.
So now they are going back to promoting DTV over DTV NOW? The new DTV NOW ad promotes no dish and no bulky cable box.

Yes, your right, only 1 Genie per account .... I have 1 HR44 and 3 HR24's ....
This way if the Genie ever does go down I have the HR24's to continue watching TV as I don't lose service entirely like you would if you had a HS17 with clients. Same goes with the HR44 and HR54 if you only have Clients ...
Therefore I have HR24 recvrs instead of clients.

Wasn’t sure if you could still do HR2x series or not.

They are all getting long in the tooth.

I believe the 24 came out in 2009 or 2010.
Sadly there is no other option ....
Eventually they will go to only clients, once your forced to use them and they quit replacing them, they will lose subs.

If your a new sub, its fine because thats all they know, but if you've been around and know what options there are, you wouldn't want clients unless it works to your advantage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.