disappointed with programming

Jbonds84

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Miami, FL
I have had voom for about two weeks now and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with their "HD original programming", especially with the movie channels. I think they are a complete waste of precious bandwidth!!!!!!, who is truly interested in watching DVD quality 50s and 60s movies on a weekly basis??? Nobody!!!!, this is without mentioning MOOV HD > what the hell is that???? BS..... If it weren't for the local HD broadcasts, discovery HD, and bravo HD I would have probably dropped the subscription a couple of days ago. I just hope they add some HD channels that are worth watching like INHD and HDnet....This opinion is also shared by a friend of mine that got voom the same day I did......Im going to wait a bit longer with my subscription and hope they make changes ASAP.......

Jbonds84 said:
This opinion is also shared by a friend of mine that got voom the same day I did......Im going to wait a bit longer with my subscription and hope they make changes ASAP.......

Hahaha your opinion is shared by many more people than just your friend. As far as waiting for Voom to change, you might be waiting a good while.

Jbonds84 said:
I have had voom for about two weeks now and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with their "HD original programming", especially with the movie channels. I think they are a complete waste of precious bandwidth!!!!!!, who is truly interested in watching DVD quality 50s and 60s movies on a weekly basis??? Nobody!!!!, this is without mentioning MOOV HD > what the hell is that???? BS..... If it weren't for the local HD broadcasts, discovery HD, and bravo HD I would have probably dropped the subscription a couple of days ago. I just hope they add some HD channels that are worth watching like INHD and HDnet....This opinion is also shared by a friend of mine that got voom the same day I did......Im going to wait a bit longer with my subscription and hope they make changes ASAP.......
I love the opinions of new users. Amen, we need inhd!!!

Jbonds84 said:
who is truly interested in watching DVD quality 50s and 60s movies on a weekly basis??? Nobody!!!!

Speak for yourself, I happen to be enjoy older titles. And yep, most will obviously not have the "Wow" factor that a more current film transfer will have, but it looks way better than what's on the SD channels like TCM (and what AMC used to be).

Anyone who compares the Cinema10 to a DVD must not have a very good display. I'll invite anyone over to show them the difference between the very best DVD and the very worst Cinema10, there is NO contest.

I was surprised by how good "Seven Days in May" looked (just watched a few minutes of it a few days ago). I have the DVD but didn't A/B them. Certain titles (some of the older BW low-budget movies on Monster) looks like they'd almost be a wash with DVD though (at least with my setup, Panasonic 4UY plasma & Yamaha S-1200 DVD player).

jbonds84:
I consider the "originals" a bonus and still VOOM gives me a lot of more HD than anybody else. I don't watch a lot of "Cinema10" but occasionally find an interesting movie from the 80's, 90's, etc. Most recently, I watched "Mississippi Burning (1988)", "Dream Lover (1994)", "Spellbinder (1988)". BTW, Cinema10 is comparable to HDNet movies in terms of content.
My favorite "originals" are RaveHD and RushHD. Also, I watch the HDNews headlines at least once a day (I love the sport highlights).
One thing that nobody can complain about the HD originals is that they are 1080i and DD 5.1 all the time. PQ is excellent. If you don't see difference between DVD and HDCinema10 in terms of PQ, I'll say that something must be wrong in your setup.

jbonds, try reading some of the other threads before you rush in and start a new one covering the same subject, especially if you're interested in precious bandwidth. Like deeann says, speak for yourself, I love Cinema 10.

BTW, your impressive skills with punctuation really drove your point home.

excuses, excuses, excuses
All of you 'voom defenders' are giving cheap excuses about the movie channels offered on voom. Regarless of what everyone says the truth is that you don't really like the quality of the programming shown. You (just as I did) signed up with this satellite company to watch true and modern HD quality television not upconverted oldies. To those that supposedly 'enjoy' and defend the HD cinema channels I have to say that your opinions only reflect the big holes voom is making in your pockets...Ooouch... Truth hurts doesn't it?
Just try and think about the hours you people spend watching channels 101-110 on a weekly basis and compare it with the hours spent watching 10 of your favorite cable channels. Which side wins?

Jbonds84 said:
Regarless of what everyone says the truth is that you don't really like the quality of the programming shown.

Just because you may have walked blindly into your VOOM experience, don't assume everyone else did. A lot of the posters here, myself included, joined this forum months prior to signing up for VOOM. We knew both the channels and the programming way ahead of time. We knew about install and hardware issues. We made a calculated decision based on what we knew.

True, most of the movies on cinema10 are older. So am I, so are a lot of the other "voom defenders". We like the old movies, and to be frank, they have NEVER looked or sounded this good!

You dont't like voom? Cancel. There's a long line of people who could use your receiver. They may even like these "upconverted oldies". I do.

What about all premium movie channels Hd

All you guys that complaine about cinema 10, what about the fact voom has the most premium movie channels in HD. You have HBO, showtime, TMC, Encore, Bravo, MAXHD, Starz (two channels of Starz in HD with the latest movies) Why does nobody ever mention this. YOu can watch the latest movies after they have finished the pay per view cycle on Starz. If you don't like Cinema 10 watch Starz, Movie Channel, HBO, showtime all in HD , if you still have time watch Equator Channel, Rave, GAlley Ultra, I don't even have time to watch 10% of offerings, so i don't know what all the griping is about. I watch about 3 hours of TV a day, as many do and there is more than enough for me to choose from. Give Voom a little credit, the revolution is only beginning

agree, HDnet movies SUX!........be happy with what you have, rest asured, you're not missing a thing without HDnet or HDnet movies

Jbonds84 said:
All of you 'voom defenders' are giving cheap excuses about the movie channels offered on voom. Regarless of what everyone says the truth is that you don't really like the quality of the programming shown. You (just as I did) signed up with this satellite company to watch true and modern HD quality television not upconverted oldies. To those that supposedly 'enjoy' and defend the HD cinema channels I have to say that your opinions only reflect the big holes voom is making in your pockets...Ooouch... Truth hurts doesn't it?
Just try and think about the hours you people spend watching channels 101-110 on a weekly basis and compare it with the hours spent watching 10 of your favorite cable channels. Which side wins?

You have the right to not like the HD movies on Cinema 10. To call them "upconvert" is misleading the people in this public forum. Just do a comparison of the DVD (if you can find it) of the movie and the HD movie shown in Cinema 10. You will be surprised how much detail, you are missing on the DVD.

You are missing the point about these movies. If you want to see the latest premium movies, HBO, Starz, Show, Cinemax, TMC, & ENCORE will show them to you. If you do not subscribe to any of them and were expecting "premium movies" (like the ones on HBO, etc), you did not do your homework on this. I am sorry to say it but in this forum we have published the content as it is. We have not concealed the repetiveness of it or what you get. The early subscribers that signed up for VOOM back in November/December have an excuse to not know what the HD content was and believe me it was quite awful back then compare to today. Today you have it easy. Many of us have seen the improvement from November to now in the HD content. Every month the HD content has improved.

You know what gets me though is that channels like Show-HD and TMC-HD shows the same content for six months and only add a couple of new movies in those six months and no one seem to complaint about them. Yet VOOM who just started and it is adding more content every day gets the complaints.

We know it is not perfect but tell me. If I cancel, who else is providing something better and I will sign up immediately. Don't tell me about promises into the future, I do not want that. I had enough of that. Tell me about now. If I cancel VOOM where can I find the same content. Let me remind you that I have three subscriptions of HD right now -- Dish Network, Cablevision, and VOOM.

Unfortunately the "latest" movies are still tied up in PPV or at Blockbusters. We won't see those for a while. But older "vintage" movies are good movies: "The Manchurian Candidate" "August" (Anthony Hopkins' adaptation of Chekov's "Uncle Vanya", Stindberg's "Miss Julie", all which ran recently. Each day I flip through the premium movies and can't find one that I would really like to see or that I haven't seen in the theater or on DVD. Can't find one. I also go to the SD channels IFC & TCM. Out of 20 movies per day on Cinema 10 I can find 3 or 4 a week that I like. It works for me but it's not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure.

I've posted this before I don't think Cinema10 should get the total axe, I think it should be restructured. I am not entirely certain 10 seperate channels are needed to show these movies... perhaps Voom feels the same with recently moving EPICS into the Cinema10 slots and adding in Equator (which for all the people that knock the 3 hour loop, I find it to be an exciting channel and look forward to the new shows they will add in the comming months, the NYC special was excellent).

I still think they shouldn't just make it "Cinema10 - 10 random older movie channels" but genre specific like Monsters... a movie channel that shows older horror movies from 1950-1998...or Gunslingers, a channel dedicated to spaghetti westerns.

I would rather flip through channels labeled "Comedy", "Drama", "Sci-Fi", "Action", etc.. than Cinema 1, Cinema 2, Cinema 3, and have all these genres mixed up in there anyway. You may think this makes no difference, but to me, from a presentation aspect it makes a HUGE difference. Especially if you're in the "mood" for a specific type of movie and don't care which, you may want to laugh so you toss on "Comedy" channel and check out whatever's there and give it a try.

jbonds commented:
> You (just as I did) signed up with this satellite company to watch true and modern HD quality television not upconverted oldies. <

I see that Sean has already responded to this, but wanted to draw the distinction between a high-definition transfer of an older film, and an "upconvert". The "oldies" on Cinema10 are not upconverted, and to call them that is both misleading to the Forum readers and an insult to Voom. There's way too much upconverted stuff on other "hiDef" channels. That isn't the problem with Cinema10.

Dvlos, I agree with your suggestions.

- Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts