DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

not according to the rep I just chatted with; if you have platinum free, you will get the BB option for FREE as well.
I asked that exact question, and was told that..
their servers are getting hammered, so you will have to log in to dish online, click the BB icon on top, register with your online info, and it will give you bb then..
its just going to take them a few hours to bring the server back up, so have some patience!
Not according to my account. I would have to sign up to add it to my acct.

Its not a new service, it is just Dish Platinum renamed.
Wrong, it's most definitely "new" by the fact that it truly streams now. Before, it was a download-and-wait-until-it-was-done service before you could start watching. How long you had to wait depended on the speed of one's internet though. Now though, it's truly streaming, like Netflix and similar.

OK, Zach just got this back from his folks on why my online account says 3 out at a time, but the movie pass queue does not reflect it:

The change will take place over night when we send the batch of change requests over to Blockbuster. Right now, disc changes are not immediate and will happen nightly.

Great service again from DIRT!

Wrong, it's most definitely "new" by the fact that it truly streams now. Before, it was a download-and-wait-until-it-was-done service before you could start watching. How long you had to wait depended on the speed of one's internet though. Now though, it's truly streaming, like Netflix and similar.
Must be new since Dish is going to change those who has the Dish Platinum free for a year.:confused:
Just waiting for the class action on this.

Last edited:
OK, so I was pretty excited about this when I heard about it. I have the Netflix streaming (dropped the Quickster) for $7.99/mo. My kids use a lot of the Netflix streaming, lots of kid shows from TV & movies as well. It works great on my Bluray Player and the Wii, with the Bluray player being hardlined into my router upstairs to our secondary TV, main TV being downstairs, where my 722k is and Wii (wireless streaming no HD). I thought if I could drop Netflix & just pay $2 more per month and get movies, games & streaming what a deal.
I have not subscribed as of yet, but am I correct in understanding the earlier posts where people cannot access whatever the Blockbuster Streaming is? I am trying to find out what they have streaming wise. Currently, when I go to the Blockbuster movie pass it just shows the premium channels I have (Starz, HDNet, etc). If I choose an HD movie, I wait about 20 minutes or so before it is ready and some up to an hour; SD seems to only take a few minutes. I am only at one bar on the "streaming quality" meter. I'm assuming this is because I am connected via wall plug upstairs to my 722k downstairs (I am planning on running Cat6 in the near future) and people that are hardlined into their sat receiver experience better results.
Is there any way to view Blockbuster's streaming library or do we know when it will be available?
I agree the UI is horrible with this, but I'm hoping it gets better. My 4 year old can use the Netflix menus, all movies/shows they see are free and included with my membership, I do not have to worry about them choosing something that would cost me money or try to explain to hit the * button to see what they can choose from. Big let down at this point, but I am hoping it gets better soon. On a side note, I found out I could stream independent shows on TV1 & TV2 at the same time.

IMO, as the service stands now, this is more a perk for folks who:

A) Are Dish customers and are paying for BB online
B) Are Plat Pack subs who have some sort of mailing service now or would like one

I do not thinking the streaming aspect of the equation yet competes with netflix. Since thats something I dont care about, this deal works great for me.

Well not quite like it you have to first find what you want to watch then pick it to down load then go out and into where it said rental then maybe start streaming it must have taken a long time to think a brilliant sequences like that .
the tv shows are still wait hours,
No its nothing like Netflix streaming

It's really sad that Dish would chose to not upgrade all the people who took advantage of the free 12 month promo but according to chat and the Dirt team you will have to pay for it if you want it . Time for some football :) Have a great day

I'm having a problem ordering BMP. I logged in to my acc. and hit the Movie Pass botton, then submit. I get a message saying that the Movie Pass cannot be added to leased equipment. Anyone else????

If I choose an HD movie, I wait about 20 minutes or so before it is ready and some up to an hour; SD seems to only take a few minutes. I am only at one bar on the "streaming quality" meter.

Where is this "streaming quality meter"? I must have completely overlooked it. I, too, am a "wallplugger" and suspect the very slow streaming speeds are a result of choosing this method for my receiver Internet access vs. having it hardwired or even WiFi'd (as is my Netflix-capable BD player which sits next to my 722 and handles HD streaming admirably).

Thanks.

mhowie said:
Where is this "streaming quality meter"? I must have completely overlooked it. I, too, am a "wallplugger" and suspect the very slow streaming speeds are a result of choosing this method for my receiver Internet access vs. having it hardwired or even WiFi'd (as is my Netflix-capable BD player which sits next to my 722 and handles HD streaming admirably).

Thanks.

When you first start playing a streaming movie it shows up or when you hit pause.

elwaylite said:
IMO, as the service stands now, this is more a perk for folks who:

A) Are Dish customers and are paying for BB online
B) Are Plat Pack subs who have some sort of mailing service now or would like one

I do not thinking the streaming aspect of the equation yet competes with netflix. Since thats something I dont care about, this deal works great for me.

So is it safe to assume there is not really a "streaming library"? It is just movies from premium channels. Not like you could watch a tv show from the 80s or something?

OK
just read the terms for the move pass one thing i noticed is
[If you do not cancel your Blockbuster Movie Pass subscription prior to the end of your promotional bundle period, it will automatically continue at the then-current unbundled price.} So is this offer a promotion or is it replacing platinum pack?
In three months will everybody be paying more ?
Just asking it seems funny wording to me.

OK so i have changed my account now to the 10.00 movie pass. I have a 622vip but don't see the blockbuster option. Still says dish platinum. When I select a movie it still says 1 day 6 hours to download...Something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Scott

As a paying Platinum customer, this ends up working well for me in a completely different way.

My wife is a rabid Netflix (er, Quikster) customer -- 3-at-a-time with BluRay option. We may or may not stick with that, but in the meantime I'm taking our "free" Blockbuster one-at-a-time and using it for GAMES, saving me a GameFly subscription :)

I'm happy it's working like that for you but it's definitely not for me. It's still the same as before--download and wait...........and wait. And if I'm lucky eventually it does download. I have been succesful in having one start right away but then after a couple of minutes it's doing the buffer thing, just like it always did. Over and over again. Dunno, maybe it's my internet service which is only a bit over 6 mps down and .75 up but NF streams fine and their HD looks great. Sure hope mine ends up performing like yours.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts