DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

From what I am told (waiting on OFFICIAL answer) that Platinum is being renamed the Blockbuster Movie Pass. All channels remain the same... just renamed the package. Only difference now if you can get DVD's in the main at no extra charge. (The streaming movies is already there.)

They confused people by talking about the top 200 package, this Blockbuster Movie Pass is available in all packages exept the Welcome Pack. However if you are a new customer to DISH and sign up on Oct 1st or later and get AT200 or above the BMP is FREE for a year. Again this is a new customer promotion.

How you gonna offer Paladia/WFN and say "more than 20 premium movie channels"?

This is inaccurate. I currently have the blockbuster online pass and when you do an in store exchange, another movie is not mailed to you until you return that in store exchange. This has been the case since I started the service a year ago. I have never had another mail DVD shipped to me without first returning the store rental. So I'm not seeing any change.

Thanks, I don't have the BB mail service and only go by what the store manager told me was a problem with the way it works now. He told me mail customers return the store copy with the second mail copy. I don't know why he would be incorrect on that. We viewed the ustream program together. But maybe your store policy is that they hold the first mailed disk until you return the store copy. With the old Blockbuster company, the stores could do much of their own policy so that stores were often inconsistent, at least they were around here. Just guessing why the difference.

Remember advertising is having a license to lie.
Hey!... I never got a license to lie. Stretch the truth, sure.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is this a big waste? I don't see how this compels anyone away from netflix, or how it compels people with netflix to also add this service. The only real benefit is you dont NEED an extra box like a roku If you already have dish. But judging by the 3000 titles that you can stream, the selection will be more like amazon primes selection for streaming. I would love to see a list of what is streaming, but I already have Netflix, and Hulu+, the only way you are going to get me to drop one of those is to give me something that replaces them. I mean its cool that they are bundling in some extra channels that no one cares about, but am I missing the "wow" factor somewhere? The way I see it they just offered be a package that is 2-3 bucks more then all of their competitors, with less selection. the only + is its accessible though my 722? someone tell me what I am missing. I was really expecting something cool, like more and better selection, a deal with the big 4 studios, the abilty to not have to use interenet to stream it so that ISP caps don't get in the way. As it stands now, the only people this is cool to would be people already paying the $10 for platinum, who happen to want to rent 1 dvd at a time.

I don't have HD Platinum right now and I plan on adding this. I have no reason to keep Netflix anymore. I can get Blu-Ray movies, video games, and stream movies all with my one Dish subscription. I don't know about you but that sounds like a LOT of features a customer gets for less than any other TV provider. Dish is working on positioning themselves as the one provider that can give the customer everything they want in video entertainment.

I also realize that no matter what any company does there will always be complainers and nit-pickers on all the little things. The public can never be fully satisfied.

I watched the presentation and I thought I heard one of them say that this will be available to non-subscribers to Dish as well in some manner. If I heard correctly, then I suppose you would need ROKU or something similar.

That why i capitalized NEED I assume they will eventually go after non subscribers, which to me is even harder then current subscribers. But I have dish, I also use my roku for netflix, and hulu plus. my point is why would I make a change? I was really hoping this would be some amazing offer to where I could get rid of Hulu+ and Netflix, and not have to change over to my roku. But like I said unless i missed something BIG this wouldn't enable me to get rid of either, and I'm not going to pay $10 a month for another streaming service that gives me less than I have with the ones I got.

They said nothing about it replacing Dish Platinum.. from what I can tell it will be a whole different $10 fee...
I haven't watched the video or read through all of the remaining pages of this thread, but if the news "event" was more of an announcement tailored towards the general public, they have no idea what a "dish platinum" is.

Are we getting any NEW streaming content? Right now, there is a decent amount available to stream and it usualy starts playing immediately.

has anyone heard of whos buying hulu? lats we heard dish was in the final 3 to get it :) can you imagine dish having bb and hulu wow that would be something :)

Thanks, I don't have the BB mail service and only go by what the store manager told me was a problem with the way it works now. He told me mail customers return the store copy with the second mail copy. I don't know why he would be incorrect on that. We viewed the ustream program together. But maybe your store policy is that they hold the first mailed disk until you return the store copy. With the old Blockbuster company, the stores could do much of their own policy so that stores were often inconsistent, at least they were around here. Just guessing why the difference.
Thats a manager who needs a different job. :)

The way it works is you get a DVD in the mail and when done you drop it in the mail and your next movie is sent... or if there is a local Blockbuster in your area you can take the disc to the store and walk out with another movie of your choice...

Just a clarifying question...If you already have Platinum at $10 and you want 2 disks at-a-time, you'll just need to pay $5 more/month?

So if I heard right, new subs get one year of blockbuster movie pass at no cost, does that mean the channels that will be previously known as platinum package be at no cost for one year?

ty scott for covering the announcement and answering questions on what you know.i believe i can say we all here on this site appreciate it :)

I would like to know if you will be able to stream from both tvs with a 922 in dual mode and can you stream a different movie to TV1 and 2 at the same time. For example currently you can stream video for a home computer to the 922 but you can only do this on TV1 . There are other feature missing from the TV2 on the 922 but I do not remember them right of the top of my head

imo dish and blockbuster should implement it with google tv that would make it both great to have :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)