DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

I'm sorry, but adding streaming to Dish's existing service is a big plus just to begin with. Considering it is free for to all new Dish subs (AT 200 and above), this value added set up could be enough to induce those that are on the fence about Dish to subscribe.

Secondly, the offerings will look very compelling if Netflix is unable to renew their Starz agreement before it expires next year. The Starz play offerings tend to be netflix's best streaming offerings for people who do not like older TV series. Through in access to Epix movies streamed via the receiver and they will have a fairly decent mix of new releases. I'd imagine their streaming offerings will only increase over time (especially if they are successful at acquiring Hulu).

Also, not even including the linear tv channels, what service provides streaming, one disc at a time, bluray and video games included for $10/month? How can you say this is $2-3 more than competitors?

I will give you the game thing, I was more comparing it streaming to streaming, which I guess is inaccurate. I could care less about games or dvd's so I meant it more along the lines of why would I get rid of netfli:mad:no dvds or games), Hulu Plus, or to a lesser extent prime(which I don't have but has more streaming options then BB.) which are all cheaper then $10. But I guess you gotta factor in the people that do care about that stuff.

Though starz is a big chunk of netflix, it being removed will not drop netflix down to 3000 titles. There are still alot of programs, especially TV that many watch. I guess it as usual comes down to content, and I cant say anything bad until I see what the 3000 titles are, but for all the fan fare i thought they were going to launch with a product that would make people say great I can now get rid of netflix. And unless you didn't use the streaming component of netflix then there is no way you can right now. Like I said for all the excitement I was expecting a wow factor, but this is a just a cool lets see where this goes...

BTW for those in the area, you can meet me tomorrow night at the Night from 7PM - 9PM at the Blockbuster Video Store in Wethersfield, Connecticut .

I will be there answering all your questions on the just announced DISH Network / Blockbuster Movie Pass!

The Blockbuster Video store is locate at 1082 Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield, Connecticut.

I hope to see some of our members there. :D Come on by and say HELLO!

BTW for those in the area, you can meet me tomorrow night at the Night from 7PM - 9PM at the Blockbuster Video Store in Wethersfield, Connecticut .

I will be there answering all your questions on the just announced DISH Network / Blockbuster Movie Pass!

The Blockbuster Video store is locate at 1082 Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield, Connecticut.

I hope to see some of our members there. :D Come on by and say HELLO!

Holy crap! A Blockbuster Video store? What's that :rolleyes: The last remaining one in my area closed over the Summer.

As a former Absolute sub, I have Platinum still.. but was going to have to serious rethink keeping it once the credits (for Absolute subs) expire....

*IF* I get to keep the channels.. AND add the streaming.. AND get the DVDs by mail.. that would be a VERY compelling feature... and it has to work with my 622, or they offer me reasonable upgrade path.

Holy crap! A Blockbuster Video store? What's that :rolleyes: The last remaining one in my area closed over the Summer.
This one is one of Connecticut's busiest stores. :)

I am excited that I get to go out and possibly meet some of you guys and talk satellite. :D

The BB near me put up it's closing sign in the last few days :(.

Oh well. I already have the platinum stuff, and if this replaces it, good bye netflix.

Is it just me or is this a big waste? I don't see how this compels anyone away from netflix, or how it compels people with netflix to also add this service. The only real benefit is you dont NEED an extra box like a roku If you already have dish. But judging by the 3000 titles that you can stream, the selection will be more like amazon primes selection for streaming. I would love to see a list of what is streaming, but I already have Netflix, and Hulu+, the only way you are going to get me to drop one of those is to give me something that replaces them. I mean its cool that they are bundling in some extra channels that no one cares about, but am I missing the "wow" factor somewhere? The way I see it they just offered be a package that is 2-3 bucks more then all of their competitors, with less selection. the only + is its accessible though my 722? someone tell me what I am missing. I was really expecting something cool, like more and better selection, a deal with the big 4 studios, the abilty to not have to use interenet to stream it so that ISP caps don't get in the way. As it stands now, the only people this is cool to would be people already paying the $10 for platinum, who happen to want to rent 1 dvd at a time.

Huh??? Do you know what the platinum package is now? Channels no one cares about? It is probably the most popular, and by posts since it started, one of the best packages. Adding everything from blockbuster for NO CHARGE is a big waste? Come on...... It makes a terrific package for people who watch movies, and now can play games. It combines online, getting a free Blue ray Rental a month, or through your receiver.

This is where Dish does well - providing the non sports channels in HD as much or more than other providers, and movies. They obviously have decided to do what they do best, and let Direct cater to Sports, at least for now. Imagine if Dish can eventually get to full time RSN's in HD and carry all of them? Only those who have to have Game Day or the MLB package would have to go to Direct for sports.

Last edited:
The BB near me put up it's closing sign in the last few days :(.

Oh well. I already have the platinum stuff, and if this replaces it, good bye netflix.

Yepp, i only have 3 stores left in a town of 400k, and none of em are close. Mail only for me.

Huh??? Do you know what the platinum package is now? Channels no one cares about? It is probably the most popular, and by posts since it started, one of the best packages. Adding everything from blockbuster for NO CHARGE is a big waste? Come on......

I would consider the Platium Package one of the best values in television. Now throw in free blockbuster and its even that much better.

Im still amazed how BB beat the 28 day wait Nflix and Redbox got hit with.
Same here. What exactly was the 28 day wait for? Benefit dvd and Bluray sales? Does anyone even buy movies anymore.

Same here. What exactly was the 28 day wait for? Benefit dvd and Bluray sales? Does anyone even buy movies anymore.

Yepp, to try and drive sales. Fail IMO, but you would figure as big as Netflix is, they had clout to get passes it but didn't. Lowly BB does not have a wait, kinda funny. Ive got both Xmen First Class and Thor from BB Mail sitting at home waiting to be watched.

Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski
Their PR says streaming will work with all DISH Network HD DVR's.. so at this point I can only guess the 622 will work too.

I hope so- This works well for me. I like the Plat. package but not sure I would keep it when free period expires but add this to BB pass to it and it sure sounds good. It seems like a winner for Dish.

I hope so- This works well for me. I like the Plat. package but not sure I would keep it when free period expires but add this to BB pass to it and it sure sounds good. It seems like a winner for Dish.

I dont see how its not good.

Streaming, 1 game/dvd/blu by mail, and the plat channels for $10. Shoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)