DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have to give it to Dish this time. The timing of this was great. Right on the heals of Netflix's fall from grace. I understand that some here think this BBMP won't really impact Netflix subs because you need a Dish receiver to take advantage of this deal, but I think it will have some impact on Netflix. I dropped Netflix after this last price increase and went to BB. I've haven't been overwhelmed with BB so far, and was even thinking of canceling them. But now, with the Dish/BBMP. I be getting more service for less dollars. Can't see a downside to this for now. And if Dish can set up the BBMP to be offered on other equipment, with a decent subscription price, I think people will drop Netflix and sign up for BBMP in a minute. The important factor may be how fast Dish can offer this to other non Dish subs. And what Dish is thinking is more important at this time...beating Netflix into the ground (which I think Netflix is doing that on their own pretty well) or setting up a subscriber package that will make people really take note of Dish over DirecTV and local cable companies...

As others have stated here, for me it seems all good!

Ghpr13:)

I've seen this a couple of places. I like these numbers for BB a LOT better.
View attachment 69984

There is one BB store on my way to/from work. I could exchange in store, and potentially get more movies per month with 1 at a time BB than with 3 out at Netflix, and save $20 a month. As long as I can stream some kids stuff, it sounds good. Does BB have a page like Netflix where you can search their content?

Well, I'm a bit impressed.
Not sure I want to join until I KNOW they have a Reliable 922 rollout. But even without it, it still might be worth trying for the blu ray and video game options. Just wish they hadn't closed every BB store withing 20 miles of me.

It would be great to get some kind of feedback from dish subs after October 1st on how streaming is going, as many have mentioned it will work different then the current bid set up, hopefully that will be the case :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Imo dish should have a way for us who have a bb mail account set up to merge it over to dish so we don't have to remake our que or cancel our curent account. Just make a option to merge it. Like on the dish end have a link that says allreading using bb click here to transfer it to your account.

Yeah... something's not adding up.

From their PR:

• 100k by mail
  • 3k streaming, 4k to PC

From the presentation:

Dish Network:

• 1100 'authenticated', 20,000 free streaming movie/tv episodes

Dish + BB:

• 100k by mail
  • 5000 movies and TV shows to TV
  • 10,000 authenticated movies and TV shows (with v/o saying in addition to Dish offerings)

Because of the above, it's being widely reported like this:

Dish Chief Executive Joe Clayton said his company is offering customers one bill and one connection to stream more than 3,000 movies as well as have the option to rent more than 100,000 titles and thousands of videogames by mail, and return them to Blockbuster stores if they choose.

Netflix has more than 20,000 movies and shows available to stream, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Vudu service tops 30,000. Amazon.com Inc. has over 100,000 options available for pay-per-view streaming, and subscribers to its Prime Service can choose to stream for free over 9,000 titles.

Also they should make titles to stream easisr to find insted of browsing huge list like when you look through epix to stram on a reciver

Yes! Yes! Yes! It does take forever to search for anything on Dish (except the search function for the Guide).

Ghpr13:)

While this seems to be a good move by Dish, many industry analysts seem rather cool to this initiative primarily due to this being an offering only to Dish subscribers.

I believe one of the executives during the presentation said“at this time” with respect to being only for Dish subscribers, kind of indicating they plan on extending this offering or at least the streaming portion to non-Dish subscribers at some future point. This is what needs to happen if Dish is to make any inroads against Netflix or the others.

Maybe it will be a slow release to other platforms. For example with Sunday ticket for many years you could only get it bu subbing to direct and this is how they established themselves as out o market sports leader where if you wanted it you had to go to direct.

Recently they have now begun to release it to other platforms. I think it's a good move for dish for now to keep it a dish only product. It reinforces what many here say that for moves dish is the place

They are pushing the family
Product with movies and being able to go exchange movies and games we are lucky in that we still have a blockbuster close by Disclosure-I am currently a direct sub

Skee7ix said:
So how this feature will be later on the 922?

Later when?

And why if it is supposed that the 922 is the "best receiver winner of awards" :rolleyes:

I think people were hopefull that at the press conference they were demonstrating on a 922 :)

Great answers, thanks. But I would say my question about the Brick and Mortar stores is relevant since I'll be returning discs there under the new service as a Platinum sub. I'm opted in and getting at least one disc anyway, if I choose it, right? So I need to return it somewhere if I want the fast turn around. What will Dish do to keep those stores open?

Maybe it will be a slow release to other platforms. For example with Sunday ticket for many years you could only get it bu subbing to direct and this is how they established themselves as out o market sports leader where if you wanted it you had to go to direct.

Recently they have now begun to release it to other platforms. I think it's a good move for dish for now to keep it a dish only product. It reinforces what many here say that for moves dish is the place

They are pushing the family
Product with movies and being able to go exchange movies and games we are lucky in that we still have a blockbuster close by Disclosure-I am currently a direct sub

DirecTV was contractually obligated to provide a standalone service by this season.

meStevo said:
DirecTV was contractually obligated to provide a standalone service by this season.

Ahh ok, did not know that

One at a time dvd/blu ray it states. Am I still unlimited in the number per month? I had 1 dvd at a time with Netflix but could get up to 4 per month. There was antoehr plan where you litterally only got one dvd per month. That's why I ask.

I guess my biggest concern is this is going to cause dish to either discontinue dishonline, or turn that into a market for blockbuster online cast offs. Effectively eroding the value of dishonline for the customer base that they have continued to increase prices on claiming they are adding value.

Just finished reading the entire thread. Dish has done the unthinkable. Dish subs have been given a christmas present and yet it is only the start of the fall. I cannot be happier about this addition to us subs. It is without a doubt a +1. Looking forward to oct 1.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts