DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

I think they would be crazy to charge $12 for a super Joey but if they did the incentive for me would be integration. All 5 tuners available to all TVs and one list of recordings and timers.

If you watch the video of Scott interviewing Vivek you'll notice Vivek says the SJ will be a savings over having a second Joey. Sounds like it's the same as a Joey at $7 but I can't imagine Dish doing that, my guess is $10.

If Dish does make the SJ $7 I wouldn't be surprised to see them raise the price to $10 next year. Similar to what they did with the Hopper DVR fee and secondary Hopper fee.

Its not getting a lot of pub but the wireless Hopper is something that could come in handy, especially if you are switching maybe between rooms that don't get used often

Its not getting a lot of pub but the wireless Hopper is something that could come in handy, especially if you are switching maybe between rooms that don't get used often

Yes, this is what I am looking forward to hearing more about.

Yes, this is what I am looking forward to hearing more about.

You could use the Virtual Joey the same way. If you have a PS3 you can just bring that to any TV you want and use the Virtual Joey app on it. Of course you will have to rely on the PS3's wireless connection to your internet.

You could use the Virtual Joey the same way. If you have a PS3 you can just bring that to any TV you want and use the Virtual Joey app on it. Of course you will have to rely on the PS3's wireless connection to your internet.

True but I don't own one - according to my better half I have too much "stuff" already.

And It probably won't work as well as a real Joey. If this was free I would think about moving my old PS3 into my bedroom and returning a Joey. If they charge the same price as a Joey like Directv does with their RVU TVs I will probably switch it out for a Super Joey or stick with what I have.

I bet it works just as well as a stand alone Joey as long as you have a solid network.

Even if that's true you still have to wait for the PS3/PS4 to boot up and launch the app every time you watch TV. Neither console has an IR receiver either. The PS3 has a bluetooth bluray remote that would probably work but the PS4 doesn't even have that yet. You would have to watch TV using a gamepad with no numbers as your remote. Even if everything is as fast as a joey and there are no delays with trick play I still think a regular joey would be a better experience.

Don't get me wrong, I own a PS3 and a PS4 and I like having the option but I don't think I would return a joey to use one of those unless it was free and that's probably not going to happen.

This may work great for me. Currently I have a Joey in my bar room and it rarely gets used. Depending on what Dish will charge for the Virtual Joey I may be able to save some money by getting rid of my Joey and just using the Virtual Joey and moving it around to where I want it.

I'm sure they've thought that through. If I had to guess, at least with the TV VJ you would get a remote shipped once you add the code to your account to authorize you VJ. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough but I doubt they are going to roll something like this to a game console and expect the user to use a game controller. I agree that using a game controller would leave much to be desired.

I'm sure they've thought that through. If I had to guess, at least with the TV VJ you would get a remote shipped once you add the code to your account to authorize you VJ. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough but I doubt they are going to roll something like this to a game console and expect the user to use a game controller. I agree that using a game controller would leave much to be desired.

Vivek made it sound like Dish will ship you a remote once the app is activated on your account.

Many that have the PS3, dunno about the PS4, for BluRay watching may already have the optional remote that is/was available. It is very similar to a standard remote.

Ah, but a Joey remote and a Virtual Joey remote that works with LG TV and a Virtual Joey that works with a PS3 - they are all different animals.

Vivek made it sound like Dish will ship you a remote once the app is activated on your account.

Many that have the PS3, dunno about the PS4, for BluRay watching may already have the optional remote that is/was available. It is very similar to a standard remote.

Ah, but a Joey remote and a Virtual Joey remote that works with LG TV and a Virtual Joey that works with a PS3 - they are all different animals.

It sounded like they were talking about the LG TVs when they said they would ship you a remote. The bluetooth remote works fine for the PS3 but that would mean that Dish would have to design a bluetooth remote just for that platform or give you the official Sony Bluray remote that isn't designed for Dish service.

Either way that would only work for the PS3. The PS3 bluetooth remote is not compatible with the PS4 and they haven't released any alternative. Right now they are telling you to use your game controller. The other option is that the remote from Sony TVs with built in HDMI CEC can control the PS4. They say other brands may or may not work. I just really doubt that Dish has a special remote for the small amount of people who will use a PS4 as a Virtual Joey when Sony doesn't even have one for the millions of people who would use a PS4 to watch Blurays and Netflix.

Anyone have an idea what the eSATA port is for on the Super Joey? Could the Super Joey use a EHD disk from a ViP 211, say, to have access to the archived programs?

Watching the video ... if you have a 1 Hopper 1 Joey setup ... to upgrade to a SJ ... the easiest install would be to run the 3rd line from the dish to your node ... swap the solo out with a duo node ... swap the Joey out with the SJ ... and your done.

My question is with regards to the HWS. When slinging you use one tuner. If all of the HWS tuners are being used ... can the HWS route you to an unused SJ tuner?

It sounded like they were talking about the LG TVs when they said they would ship you a remote. The bluetooth remote works fine for the PS3 but that would mean that Dish would have to design a bluetooth remote just for that platform or give you the official Sony Bluray remote that isn't designed for Dish service.

Either way that would only work for the PS3. The PS3 bluetooth remote is not compatible with the PS4 and they haven't released any alternative. Right now they are telling you to use your game controller. The other option is that the remote from Sony TVs with built in HDMI CEC can control the PS4. They say other brands may or may not work. I just really doubt that Dish has a special remote for the small amount of people who will use a PS4 as a Virtual Joey when Sony doesn't even have one for the millions of people who would use a PS4 to watch Blurays and Netflix.

From what I've gathered the PS4 app is not ready yet. Sounds like it's available for the PS3 and select LG TVs then it will be available on the PS4.

I thought about it last night and super Joey pricing should be $7 because it doesn't add any display capabilities. It gives me more recording capability.

You're using logic to determine the price... Doesn't mean that Dish will !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)