Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This situation will continue to rear it's ugly head on a yearly basis with some provider or another. The writing is on the wall. We need to get used to it. It's always about profits and it always has been and always will be. Nobody is trying to watch the consumers backs. No matter who you listen to they are all shading the truth in their favor. The PR wheel will continue to spin and we will continue to be caught in the middle. What a sad state this industry is in. Sad for us.

I just have to pose this question.

Is Charlie getting senile?
I swear with all these disputes and questionable business ventures he reminds me of another billionaire Vince McMahon,possibly Ted Turner.

Don't get me wrong I fully support him in the case against the networks but,just seems there are way too many fights going on all at once.Kind of hard to win when you are fighting a mob by yourself.He should carry one huge stick!

These channel providers really piss me off. I'm with Dish on this one. Garnett pulls their station, I'll get my content some other way and Garnett doesn't see a dime. Plus I keep Dish. How do ya like them apples, Garnett?

Tyralak said:
These channel providers really piss me off. I'm with Dish on this one. Garnett pulls their station, I'll get my content some other way and Garnett doesn't see a dime. Plus I keep Dish. How do ya like them apples, Garnett?

The best way is to stop watching their channels & watch the competition.

Its Gannett, not Garnett (unless you're speaking to Kevin Garnett) ;)

Here's what Gannett's position (all the other content providers, too) really comes down to: "You will pay to watch our content. Either you pay some by watching commercials and the rest in cash, or you pay much more in cash. Your call."

Hard to argue - fewer people watching the commercials makes the commercials worth less to the advertiser. So the content providers get smaller checks every month from ad agencies.

But everybody wants these TV shows that are expensive to produce. Hmmm... how to make that happen... smaller checks from our advertisers because people won't watch the commercials... no increase in fees from distribution... well, have to cut those shows, because we can't afford the cost.

Nobody wants to pay more - but advertiser supported television is a non-starter in an auto-hop world. There has to be another source of revenue, or the shows everybody is complaining about missing will go away anyway. Product placement in the show? That'll help some, and I'm amazed we haven't seen more of it than we have. "Side by side" advertising while the show goes on? Maybe for some "slideshow" type ads... can't skip the ad without missing the show...

The FCC isn't about to step in and tell broadcast licensees that elect retrans consent what the fees will or won't be, and they shouldn't. That's not their role.

Well, I like DISH and so does Mrs. Chuckster_Dude. I think we only watch 30 Rock and football on NBC so if I can still get that in my guide for recording with the OTA and an indoor antenna, we'll make it work.

if the lose the station they will most likely lose guide data
but you should be able to manually record them

Personally, I like Autohop, I think it's a neat feature, but it's not worth losing channels over. The FF button isn't hard to use.

And I'm sure many would agree with you. The problem is what if that was said when that FF button was first implemented? (DVR's) When the VHS or Betamax came into being? Do we have to stop all advancements if the Networks don't approve? Watching movies at home spurred interest in movies overall.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)