DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

3 tuners recording 6 shows? Are they referencing OTA tuners as well? Still behind the 8-ball from DTV's 5-tuner monster......

Guess you can't wait to see how the unit actually functions huh before passing judgement? :rolleyes:

ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox are only watched in This household only for the 10pm news and when we have severe weather in the area. No need to record the locals and that is the way it is in most households in my neck of the woods. Heck some people do not even watch the news either.

I moved this to the Pub Area as DISH Network was concerned about this info getting out to the general public as the article contains some highly inaccurate information which had DISH concerned.

(Of course they didn't tell me what was inaccurate...) :)

In here in the Pub the "article" will not get indexed by the search bots, which was something they were worried about. (Can't say I blame them for being concerned)

So please feel free to continue to discuss this here in the pub for now. :)

I can see replacing my 3 722s with this device on a couple of conditions. I can keep my 4th receiver ( 612 ) in place and Dish doesn't charge an outrageous receiver fee for this thing.

Locals are usually all on one transponder. If Dish has actually used their brains for once and built a system with a decent amount of CPU-to-disk bandwidth, there's no reason they couldn't record every channel on a transponder separately. Or if they haven't built in a decent amount of bandwidth, they could at least dump the entire transponder to disk and parse it out into channels later.

Wow wild night... I am at Chuck E Cheese for my son's 9th Birthday and all this hell broke loose.

I feel strange about removing the thread from the DISH area, but I also understand DISH's concern on the inaccurate information. I will be honest one of the reasons I removed it was because I have to work with these guys next week at CES, and I wouldn't want them mad at me or SatelliteGuys at CES. I felt that removing it from the DISH forum was the best for both of us...

But with that said..

Here is how I understand the Primetime Anytime is going to work... studies show that in the prime time hours most DVR's that are recording something are recording something from one of the Big 4 Networks. With Hopper it will record all of the Big 4 locals AT THE SAME TIME and it will do this using only one satellite tuner! The way that I understand that it works is that instead of recording a channel from a mux it records the entire mux for the locals in your area!

Some of you say that recording the entire spotbeam for your area might take a lot of space and that is true, however with a 2TB hard drive it's not going to be an issue. :)

Kind of a neat idea! Let's see how well it works. :)

Locals are usually all on one transponder. If Dish has actually used their brains for once and built a system with a decent amount of CPU-to-disk bandwidth, there's no reason they couldn't record every channel on a transponder separately. Or if they haven't built in a decent amount of bandwidth, they could at least dump the entire transponder to disk and parse it out into channels later.
And this is exactly how they are going to do it.

Two of these with two thin clients will take care of my needs. A couple more sat tuners and one of these and two thin clients would suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'd love to have one of these even with no clients at all. I have no OTA reception, and most network shows aren't regularly replayed later, so if there's three shows on at once, one of them is getting downloaded later. Not that I have any moral problem with that since I never watch commercials anyway, but it's just a nuisance.

I'm hoping that the part that's wrong is the part about moving the radio channels into a submenu. What genius thought of that? It's going to seem like going into the VOD or the interactive programs -- two things that I never do. (By the way, Dish, if you want to free up memory in your receivers, you have my permission to nuke the interactive programs. All of them. Even the weather. Especially the weather. They're lame.)

I hope if you put 2 hoppers together you can serve up to 8 TVs...

Really I just want 6 TVs, but even if I was restricted to only 4 being used at once I would be happy.

You can have 1 hopper and 8 joeys if you want. Of course you will be fighting over tuners, but if you don't watch all the TV's at the same time it might not be an issue. :D

Will all feeds from the Hopper and Joeys be in HD? Inquiring minds want to know.

The 1/10/12 header and the puff and details sure makes it smell like a predraft of a press release that was left in the copy machine.

The multiple recording might be using something similar to Directv whole house where they pack all the transponders into the standard download band feeding the "home" receiver.

Whatever it is, it sure sounds neat and I'd buy the system just to calm down my pack leader . She really gets irritated when her "Good Wife " gets delayed and does not record.

I would be excited about this a few years back. I rarely watch network tv anymore.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts