DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

I am guessing that with the kangaroo logo, and the 'hopper' and 'joey' names, that they will announce that these will be available to subscribers on 'leap' day - 29 February. That seems like it would tie in perfectly for an advertising campaign.

Remember if you need more tuners, just add another Hopper Box to your setup and it will automatically add itself to your network. :)

You can have 1 hopper and 8 joeys if you want. Of course you will be fighting over tuners, but if you don't watch all the TV's at the same time it might not be an issue. :D

I took this as in a limit of one hopper and 8 joeys per account .
of course the prices are yet to be seen if its same as a duel dvr then it make the cost per tune very high.

Last edited:
ok here is more about Hopper that I have heard... This is not official information though so please keep this just as a rumor...

Built in Sling

Well, that's a surprise! I got the impression (earlier) that it only supported a Sling Adapter. So, with 3 tuners, I wonder which one it will grab? I would guess "the free one", which would be a feature I wish my 722 had...

Remember if you need more tuners, just add another Hopper Box to your setup and it will automatically add itself to your network. :)

I wonder how this is gonna work with the connections from the dish. The Hopper will probably need 2 wires from the Dish?

OK more detail If it is recording the whole tp then if you have CW, MyTV & PBS also on that spotbeam tp. Will all those be recorded as well? Seems like it would be a daily folder listed as say networks. You then open it and pic which show to watch. Would this be what it is doing?

So, is the 3rd sat tuner dedicated to the Primetime Anytime feature, or is it available to be used on any sat channel when Primetime Anytime is not in use? If it is dedicated to only spotbeam/conus locals tp, then we are back down to only 2 sat tuners for non-local channel recording. :(

What channels are you watching that don't repeat shows at least once? For me, getting the network channels out of the picture would solve 100% of my timer conflicts.

So, is the 3rd sat tuner dedicated to the Primetime Anytime feature, or is it available to be used on any sat channel when Primetime Anytime is not in use? If it is dedicated to only spotbeam/conus locals tp, then we are back down to only 2 sat tuners for non-local channel recording. :(

With an OTA it's three assuming it has OTA. Recording all the networks certainly makes more than two tuners less needed though for the vast majority of people......
If no OTA tuner I would lose the sub channels that I get now to be able to record. Still have to sort out what the real benefits are, but as someone said certainly sounds intriguing.

Daughter's disney/boomerang/teennick/cartoonnetwork/hub etc.
wife's HGTV/BIO/BBCA/GSN/TVland/IFC/ION etc.
my RSN/Spike/TruTV/ID/Sci/NHLN/NFLN/ESPN/BTN/HIST etc.

Just to name a few. Plus most of our dozens of timers are content-based dish pass searches (keyword, actor/actress, etc), so the channels that get picked up are all over the place.

We only watch 1 or 2 broadcast network shows a week consistently.

With an OTA it's three assuming it has OTA. Recording all the networks certainly makes more than two tuners less needed though for the vast majority of people......
If no OTA tuner I would lose the sub channels that I get now to be able to record. Still have to sort out what the real benefits are, but as someone said certainly sounds intriguing.
But I'm understanding that the 3rd sat tuner will only be used for primetime anytime, whether an OTA tuner is included or not?

I took this as in a limit of one hopper and 8 joeys per account .
of course the prices are yet to be seen if its same as a duel dvr then it make the cost per tune very high.

In all fairness to Dish, they have to cover the costs of these boxes upfront and make up the cost over time. If you haven't priced 2TB drives lately you should. Sadly for Dish, the cost has gone up dramatically due to the Thailand flooding so if they didn't have a locked contract price, their drive cost doubled basically overnight.

I would like to see them drop the fees for owned equipment, I think they still charge you when you own the product.

Daughter's disney/boomerang/teennick/cartoonnetwork/hub etc.
wife's HGTV/BIO/BBCA/GSN/TVland/IFC/ION etc.
my RSN/Spike/TruTV/ID/Sci/NHLN/NFLN/ESPN/BTN/HIST etc.

Just to name a few. Plus most of our dozens of timers are content-based dish pass searches (keyword, actor/actress, etc), so the channels that get picked up are all over the place.

We only watch 1 or 2 broadcast network shows a week consistently.

I guess I assumed that anybody watching that many dissimilar channels would be doing it on multiple TVs and so already have multiple DVRs.