DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

I moved this to the Pub Area as DISH Network was concerned about this info getting out to the general public as the article contains some highly inaccurate information which had DISH concerned.

(Of course they didn't tell me what was inaccurate...) :)

This looks like a legit article, I wonder what info would be wrong??

Methinks they are just concerned about the leak.....

I believe all the Hopper info is correct as it matches what I know and have known for awhile, as far as the rest of it goes, i dont know if that is accurate or not.

This is my favorite part:

To engage consumers curious about Dish service, Clayton's team has developed a 72?hour sampling service of the most popular movies and TV shows, called Dish Test Drive. This will use a downloaded app and cloud service to provide live broadcast TV channels.

I've been wondering why Dish doesn't provide a STB to do just this 100% of the time for subscribers, obviating the need for satellite delivery.

This is my favorite part:

I've been wondering why Dish doesn't provide a STB to do just this 100% of the time for subscribers, obviating the need for satellite delivery.

FAP/cap/awaiting Dish with bandwidth to use for the purpose. Might be our ViP units have been set up for future expansion.

Scott- I thought of doing this almost 10 years ago but couldn't get around the bandwidth and storage issue. Forgot about it until now. Like you said with a 2TB HD and modern CPU power it all becomes possible to parse the channels later and just record the entire spotbeam TP.

Now I have a simple question-- Will we have features downstream on this system. e.g. skip ahead 30 seconds, back 10 seconds? Will we be able to save off a particular program to a permanent archive separate from the cached storage?

Any word from them whether this is within the legal license to redistribute the channels? I can think that the networks may get a bit upset that this really screws with the business model on ratings, vs advertising / sponsor rates.

PS- Happy Birthday to your son!

Guess you can't wait to see how the unit actually functions huh before passing judgement? :rolleyes:

Guess not! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I understand how multiple chans on the same transponder/same bird could be captured with one tuner (and wonder why it's taken so long to implement this concept) ......but what if my 6 shows are on 6 different TP's spread across 3 birds? Very curious as to how 3 tuners are going to capture all 6 independent content streams. It's not -ALL- about the "primetime networks" -- there are many highly-watched channels that don't fall into that group. We're a diverse crowd with diverse tastes...this is not new information to anyone :)

Now I have a simple question-- Will we have features downstream on this system. e.g. skip ahead 30 seconds, back 10 seconds? Will we be able to save off a particular program to a permanent archive separate from the cached storage?
I have been told full trickplay will be available. :)

but what if my 6 shows are on 6 different TP's spread across 3 birds? Very curious as to how 3 tuners are going to capture all 6 independent content streams. It's not -ALL- about the "primetime networks" -- there are many highly-watched channels that don't fall into that group. We're a diverse crowd with diverse tastes...this is not new information to anyone :)
Your locals only come to you on one transponder. That is all that Primetime Anytime will record is your locals. I dont know 100% but I believe you can turn the feature off if you never watch network tv shows.

Very excited about the new hardware as well as these new features. Hope to see this sooner than "soon".

ok here is more about Hopper that I have heard... This is not official information though so please keep this just as a rumor.

Hopper (XiP 813) will have
3 Satellite Tuners
2 TB of storage whch can store 250 Hours of HD and 1000 Hours of SD. (Storage is expandable via USB)
Built in Sling
3D Ready
With Prime Time Anytime it can record 6 live HD channels at one time. (Four being your Big 4 networks and the other two being what ever you want using the other two tuners)

I got to be honest, I didn't want one before... but now I do. :)

sooo hopper is the server and joey is the stb..kinda like the moto fios set up

No i do not think it is .
Maybe I read it wrong but with the moto setup each stb is also a tuner with this you have only three tuners total and if you use one to grab the network it will leave you only two to recorded everything and for live TV on three boxes .
I currently have 6, tuners 4 sat and two over the air and its not sufficient . so unless most of you tv watching and recording is network prime time you would be out of luck its more like att with a three hd stream limit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)