DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

If i understand correctly, all the hoppers and joeys have ethernet ports on the back of them. So anyone know what those ports do in relation to the moca bridge device? Are they for completely separate functions?

new to this whole moca thing....

I think my wife had a Moca latte last night.

Also, can the Hopper make toast?

Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
Haven't noticed these 2 questions:

Remote: The Hopper/Joey will have Zigbee remotes. Will 3rd party IR universal remotes such as the Logitech harmony series still work? I'd have no issues using the zigbee remotes with the Joeys in my house, but I prefer my harmony with the setup that would have a Hopper in it.

EHD: I think this was answered when the equipment was announced as the Xip813/110 at Team Summit, but will you be able to take an EHD from the existing VIP DVR's (622/722/922) and use it on the Hopper without losing the programming? That would certainly make an easy transition from the VIP series to the Hopper/Joey system.

Agreed, I would like to be able to move my EHD from my current receiver over to the Hopper without losing the recordings.

This is one thing I'm dead certain they've made sure will work right. If you were to have to lose all your recordings anyway, why not shop around for another provider and test the waters?

What's the maximum bit rate of the transponder? We'll use 40 Mbits/second which correlates nicely to 5 MB/second and makes the math easy. You would need 300MB / minute and 18GB / hour. So now we're talking about 54 GB / day for 3 hours times 8 days which is 432GB. If they carve out 600GB from the 2TB drive it easily fits with room to spare.

Scale storage accordingly based on actual transponder bandwidth.

I bet the extra storage space is for there NEW HBO they announced in there press release. HBO unplugged, I bet its like the PrimeTime where they record one transponder of HBO say at 2am and store it.

Press release
========
a new feature called DISH Unplugged will make hundreds of HBO movies and TV shows available via satellite to the DISH DVR. Customers who subscribe to HBO will have instant access to HBO programming through their receiver in the highest video quality and with no buffering.

I bet the extra storage space is for there NEW HBO they announced in there press release. HBO unplugged, I bet its like the PrimeTime where they record one transponder of HBO say at 2am and store it.

Press release
========
a new feature called DISH Unplugged will make hundreds of HBO movies and TV shows available via satellite to the DISH DVR. Customers who subscribe to HBO will have instant access to HBO programming through their receiver in the highest video quality and with no buffering.

So far the 2 TB drive is divided between PTA, HBO (100 x 3-4 GB) and user: ~500 GB + 500 GB + 250 GB; we have 750 GB more ! :)

I have never seen so many bees buzzing around the hive in all my life. LOL.

Scott, Have your sources confirmed that it is recording the entire spot beam? It would seem to me that they would be able to pull the big 4 out of the spotbeam and record only that portion of the beam. Further separation might occur when any one channel is replayed. It would use a lot of disk space (even if it is on their portion of the HDD). Just asking.

Spot beam [transponder] is just a name of a transponder focused to small area, it's still a transponder. It's have one center freq and occupy 27-36 MHz of bandwidth, modulated QPSK/8PSK and transmit a mux of many channels (compressed scrambled video/auto) and system data.
It is a transponder.

There is no technical reason a VIP couldn't talk to the hopper either directly over ethernet or via a moca-ethernet bridge. That being said, I doubt we will ever see it.

There is technical reason - no QAM tuner and symmetrical processing specific IP 'streaming' from XiP813.

There is technical reason - no QAM tuner and symmetrical processing specific IP 'streaming' from XiP813.
Please read the post. No QAM tuner is needed if connecting "either directly over ethernet or via a moca-ethernet bridge."

I've been writing and calling it DISH for years. I always thought that DISHNETWORK is too long of a name to write and to remember for most people. DISH is short and sweet and to the point and also says how the programming is delivered: by DISH.

Heck, I have abbreviated Dish Network to Dish and Directv to Direct for years now on these message boards.

Please read the post. No QAM tuner is needed if connecting "either directly over ethernet or via a moca-ethernet bridge."

Please reread whole phrase ..."and symmetrical processing specific IP 'streaming' from XiP813" - who will write the FW part ? For sure it not exist in other models.

Heck, I have abbreviated Dish Network to Dish and Directv to Direct for years now on these message boards.
I wrote DISH because I hated the confusing system of *E vs D that was prevalent when I first started on this web board back 2003. I didn't shorten DIRECTV to DIRECT because I didn't think about it. To me DIRECTV is too long already.

Remote: The Hopper/Joey will have Zigbee remotes. Will 3rd party IR universal remotes such as the Logitech harmony series still work? I'd have no issues using the zigbee remotes with the Joeys in my house, but I prefer my harmony with the setup that would have a Hopper in it.

EHD: I think this was answered when the equipment was announced as the Xip813/110 at Team Summit, but will you be able to take an EHD from the existing VIP DVR's (622/722/922) and use it on the Hopper without losing the programming? That would certainly make an easy transition from the VIP series to the Hopper/Joey system.

I hadn't even thought about the Harmony situation. If I can't use my Harmony's, that might be a dealbreaker for me. I hope they work!

Ganthet said:

Yes you can use any universal remote with Hopper and Joey.

And yes you can enjoy your recordings from your existing ehd's on the Hopper. :)

Yes you can use any universal remote with Hopper and Joey.

And yes you can enjoy your recordings from your existing ehd's on the Hopper. :)

Woo Hoo! Thanks, Scott! I love my Harmony!

Something I am wondering and haven't seen asked is what about SDTV's and the Hopper/Joey setup. I still have a couple SDTV's. Are there any options to hook them up in this system (with or without a Joey)? It will be a while until I can upgrade all of my TV's.

Woo Hoo! Thanks, Scott! I love my Harmony!

Something I am wondering and haven't seen asked is what about SDTV's and the Hopper/Joey setup. I still have a couple SDTV's. Are there any options to hook them up in this system (with or without a Joey)? It will be a while until I can upgrade all of my TV's.
Looking at the pictures, the Joeys do have composite (RWY) outputs so I would say yes. As far as coax SD connection, probably not without a RF modulator.

Please reread whole phrase ..."and symmetrical processing specific IP 'streaming' from XiP813" - who will write the FW part ? For sure it not exist in other models.

Lack of will or desire to write the software is not a technical reason. If Dish saw financial benefit and wanted to they could write the software to turn a VIP DVR into a Hopper client. It's a business decision, not a technical limitation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts