DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

For sports overruns anything labeled sports automatically adds time at the end so you shouldn't miss anything.

This may help for sporting events within primetime itself, but late starts due to previous sport (or other programming) that overrun and force the 8PM primetime start time to be later may cause problems. The classic example is CBS Sunday nights. The afternoon football games often run over. This pushes the entire primetime lineup to be shifted to later times. Very often during football season the primetime hours are more like 8:30-11:30 than 8-11.

Adding to my previous comment, late starting programs due to previous sports overruns is not a new issue, of course. It works the same way currently. When recording shows that I think may overrun, I often have to record the show following the one I want to be sure to get the entire show I really want. I think that the new issue added by Primetime Anytime is that once you get into the habit of expecting the entire primetime from the previous evening to be recorded, you may not think to record extra for those channels you suspect my overrun. Since the recording becomes automatic with no intervention, there is not the same scrutiny at work as when you record individual shows.

Ok I have put a little thought into this post I love the Idea of these hoppers really want two of them. Love the idea of Prime time anytime. However I'm very very curious how they are are going to deal with the run over problem it happens all the time. Are they going to have someone to sit and watch and send real time data to our machines to update them so they know when to start and stop recording. I truly love new state of the art equipment don't get me wrong and I am not trying to nit pick or anything but this is a very real concern because I am one that that watches the 58 % of broadcast programing and added an antenna to my roof and would love to get rid of the thing if I could, I hate the thing up there for lighting reasons. I will of course have to wait and see what happens when they come out to get the answer to this question because I'm sure they haven't answered it. I really wish one company would come up with a fix for this that would send live data when there is a run over to a machine and automatically fix the recordings for us.

I would think that you would have to set a second timer for Sundays when there is run overs because of sports . I do that now on CBS every Sunday. Other wise you Primetime live is going to be Wrong on all the shows on Sundays on CBS.

I would think that you would have to set a second timer for Sundays when there is run overs because of sports . I do that now on CBS every Sunday. Other wise you Primetime live is going to be Wrong on all the shows on Sundays on CBS.
Not according to Scott, post #701.

With them requiring anybody that is getting XIP to have all XIP equipment on the account, it could be there way of preventing account stacking?

If you have two 722's and you wanted a Hopper (H) then you would need two H's. So does this mean that they are going to swap out all the old equipment out for new equipment? Also, I am concerned about them going to possibly make it more expensive on the monthly fees if someone wants a Hopper having to do this.

This seems like something that could prevent existing subscribers from getting this equipment for a while if this is targeted for new subscribers as they have no equipment in place already and it would not affect them.

I have thought for a while that the future will be streaming the channels and watching the content anytime you want just as Dish has started to do with Primetime anytime. I would not be surprised to see them do this with other stations as well.

Why couldn't they put the most popular stations on particular transponders then allow you to pick which groups and which ones in each group you want to record? You could add external hard drives to expand capacity. When storage rates dramatically increase then I can see this getting more and more popular.

They said their billing system will not allow them to have hopper and VIPs together.

I do think they will need to do something for those with tailgaters or mobile homes.

Scott, did you get any feeling that there was any doubt about them doing that? I really REALLY want a Hopper but I HAVE to have a VIP in my travel trailer as I do now.:eek:

Last edited:
If someone wants two Hoppers and has them installed in the same room to share with the rest of the household then I assume that you can distribute the Joey's throughout the house to view the content on the first tuner of the second Hopper? Probably makes more sense to install the second Hopper in another room though to save a Joey.

I think Mike's referring to the CBS (and FOX for that matter) prime-time programming. The games are OK, but when the later programming is pushed back due to late finishes of games, those PT timers are affected...
I understand what Mike is saying, BUT my understanding of Scott's statement is that if any sporting event is a part of the Primetime Anytime 3 hour block, that 3 hour block gets automatically extended.

KAB said:
I understand what Mike is saying, BUT my understanding of Scott's statement is that if any sporting event is a part of the Primetime Anytime 3 hour block, that 3 hour block gets automatically extended.

This is correct.

But what happens if the sporting event is not part of the Primetime Anytime 3 hour block. What if it is BEFORE the 3 hour block? Is there anyway to extend the Primetime Anytime in that case?

Lt Disher said:
But what happens if the sporting event is not part of the Primetime Anytime 3 hour block. What if it is BEFORE the 3 hour block? Is there anyway to extend the Primetime Anytime in that case?

Why are people struggling to understand what you're asking? When NFL games run late on CBS, they still show 60 minutes in its entirety. This causes every single show to start later than it should.

Exactly. Scott's response about extending end times for sporting events is correct, but doesn't address the original question. If the start of the primetime block is delayed on a network (for any reason), how does the Primetime Anywhere deal with that situation?

Awesome!! I'm ready to trade in my 622 and two 211s for two hoppers and one joey!! Plus I love the idea of all locals using one tuner; no more moving around the house to watch locals shows that couldn't record in the room I mainly watch tv in.

Exactly. Scott's response about extending end times for sporting events is correct, but doesn't address the original question. If the start of the primetime block is delayed on a network (for any reason), how does the Primetime Anywhere deal with that situation?
It most likely won't. If the first shows after a late running sporting event are important to you, you'll probably have to schedule your own timers to handle it. Not a big deal.

It most likely won't. If the first shows after a late running sporting event are important to you, you'll probably have to schedule your own timers to handle it. Not a big deal.

Its not the first shows as they will still get recorded, its the last show(s) that could be missed because the primetime block ends before the delayed showing starts.

Hello Scott,

First like to say, fantastic job!

I have 1 question; how many EHDs can you add to the Hopper/Joey system?

Right now I have two connected to a powered USB hub hooked to a 922.

Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)