DISH loses Appeal in DISNEY HD Fight

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I wonder of Dish would even be allowed by the providers to do so. Their contracts likely call for inclusion in Dish's lowest package. Some of the fluff is likely also part of the carriage package for some of the popular T60.

?I'm sure it has mostly to do with the contracts. It's time for some restructuring of some contracts.

They'd have to spend the $$$ to replace all the SD receivers, though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

That's true. Wishful thinking. Maybe a package without the SD duplicates at a much cheaper cost to encourage people to upgrade to HD receivers.

I've been saying this for a while but Dish needs to come out with a smaller package again. Go back to the days when they had the top 60. People do not need over 120 channels as their base package. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice package but you could get rid of half those channels and take $20 of the price. Could you imagine having the top 60 channels for $30?

Maybe DISH could start over with adding HD to the Welcome and Smart packs. That right there would make downgrading to a lesser programming pack more palatable. I know I could easily live on the Welcome pack if it was in HD. They could also break the three programming packs to day to say 6 and really give subs a chance to pay less. But If I know DISH ,they would make sure that some of the best channels would be spread out over all 6 packs and you would get no savings at all. We really just need theme packs-sports,news,womens ,kiddie, movie, etc and or Ala cart. That is what would make me happy.

It's not setting any standard or precedent. Dish left a hole in the contract that allowed it. Any new contract will address it specifically, and I can't see any provider willing to pay double.

I would hope not, but this is what this whole lawsuit was about. They wouldn't even let DISH just take the HD feeds and down convert them to SD for the sd receivers. So DISH was stuck with just crappy Sd channels instead and the HD channel versions were dropped.

Don't know if this helps you, but on these pkgs, & unless something has changed recently, you DO get your locals in HD automatically. (as long as you have HD receivers & the correct dish, of course...)

Yes I know, but the few cable channels I do like that are in the Welcome pack , are not in HD. IF you had ALL HD Welcome packs and Smart Packs , you might get some real takers who wouldn't mind downgrading to them, in order to save Money. It would give DISH subs more choices .

Many in business have learned sometimes the customers you don't have actually are better than having them.

IF it sets the standard that all tv channel companies will follow-pay for both SD and HD feeds of all channels- it will force the price to more than double that we all pay for proramming. This will kill pay tv as it exists today if so.

Cheap charlie will drop the SD feed.,.thus forcing people to get the HD package...just a prediction of things to come

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

SD channels should be dropped as soon as possible, unless the channel does not broadcast in HD. So... Charlie will drop SD, change out equipment, and give you FREE HD. And the problem is?

I don't see Cheap Charlie upgrading all the Sd receivers out there. I could see him trying to do a down convert of the existing HD channel for sd receivers so he only pays once. But I don't think the companies like DISNEY would allow this. In fact I do remember this is why Charlie dropped the hd versions ,because Disney didn't want to allow for a down convert. So once again I don't see Charlie pay to upgrade all sd receivers to Hd. Even though it would mean he could go all mpeg 4 on western arc, if he did the upgrade. He is simply too cheap to spend that much money on his subs . Now he will plop all kinds of money down on failing companies like Blockbuster and pay for all kinds of wireless spectrum he may never get to use and most likely will have to sell. To me, the ultimate best use of his money would be to upgrade all subs to hd and drop all old sd receivers. But he would also have to drop the extra $10.00 charge for hd and make hd for life standard for all subs period. No I just don't see Charlie being that future forward in his thinking in regards to his existing video service. He wants something grand to get involved in like Wireless cell phone companies. I am surprised he hasn't already tried to buy T-mobile yet.

If people want to give away $10 when it can be had for free, then I guess so!

Call him Cheap Charlie if you like, but you and I will pay the actual cost of anything they do.
?

Charlie Ergen is only cheap when it comes to HIS Costs, he doesn't care about our costs. This is evident every time he comes up with a new DISH fee or hikes the existing ones, like he did in May-right after the February PRICE hikes on programming. Two price hikes in the same year. Luckily if you upgraded or already had the 2nd hopper you were grandfathered. But this was a decision only made after we all squawked about the increase on this web board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)