Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

Yep, I am thinking that and if that's the case, time to drop Voom from my account. I already have charter coming in for install this week, no commitment, no install fees. It's for internet access, but can easily add the digital packages if dish keeps playing games.

Reefer123 said:
I can almost picture an engineer going "I'm in for $20 that Hokie chimes in on our resolution in under 20 minutes." :D :D

If you only knew how closely they are watching this thread (as well as the rest of the site) since this has started the activity from Echostar has picked up greatly. I welcome them with open arms.

Second longest thread ever!

Congratulations Gary! With 602 replies (and counting) this is now officially the second longest thread ever at SatelliteGuys! This thread has just surpassed the previous second longest thread "The End of VOOM?" It is second only to the "VOOM Installations" thread (with 1596 replies!)

Amazingly, in spite of so many posts, this thread (with just a few exceptions), pretty much stayed on topic! ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
If you only knew how closely they are watching this thread (as well as the rest of the site) since this has started the activity from Echostar has picked up greatly. I welcome them with open arms.

Scott - I hope they get the message... If things don't change I'll be dropping VOOM and checking out Insight... As much as I hate to say it. I canned cable to make the switch to Dish.

G.

I don't think I'll be dropping dish anytime soon but I will drop the Voom channels. If the HD pack goes south i will drop it to and just watch HD OTA. Its has the best quality and content and its free.

BrettTRay said:
I don't think I'll be dropping dish anytime soon but I will drop the Voom channels. If the HD pack goes south i will drop it to and just watch HD OTA. Its has the best quality and content and its free.

Some of my best recordings are from PBSHD!

G.

I finally jumped to HD when Dish picked up VOOM. I have been anxiously awaiting the expanded VOOM. I recently picked up a 942 on lease primarily to watch and record VOOM content.

But if VOOM goes to 1280x720p, I will seriously consider dropping VOOM. The only way I might consider staying, is if VOOM themselves is converting their HD content into 1280x720p, that if their movies, etc., are natively 1280x720 and thus preserve all of the original resolution. A la ESPN being in 1280x720.

But if this is a downconversion from VOOM 1920x1080i content to 1280x720, then that is not acceptable. This will be worse than 1280x1080i. In fact, it is almost a worst case scenario. With only going to sub-HD resolutions, like 960x540, being worse.

anything other than 1920x1080i is unacceptable to me, Dish has no reason to provide us with anything else, of course we are not going to get full bitrate, but please do not mess with the resolution of what program providers are sending

PBS is a gorgeous HD channel, top notch stuff

-Gary

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
Don't give 'em any ideas....1920x1080i all the way!!!

Same here... I want my next TV for the living room to be the max.... (while I'm waiting for my 942 to reboot to watch the Eagles I recorded last June due to a code 07...) Got it back..:)

G.

Maybe this has changed, but wasnt it reported some time ago that with the intro of the new Voom channels, that the currently seperate Voom package would be incorporated into the standard HD Pack? Obviously that would keep folks from dropping Voom en masse.

Oh, I can't wait for HD DVD/Blu-Ray to be released!
When the first DVD came out they clearly demonstrated that MPEG-2 can look much-much better than what satellite and cable providers are trying to feed us with.
I hope the release of HD DVD will raise the bar for satellite providers too!

HokieEngineer said:
You sure about that?

No, lol. Just what I think some of us have thought since the rest of what the old voom channels were came up, but then again we learned torque was going to be a sports channel, but that has since been canned it seems

DWS44 said:
Maybe this has changed, but wasnt it reported some time ago that with the intro of the new Voom channels, that the currently seperate Voom package would be incorporated into the standard HD Pack? Obviously that would keep folks from dropping Voom en masse.
Well, that means I just drop the whole thing then. If Dish is gonna mess with resolution, I can get the same with another provider. Full resolution is what will set them apart.

I also prefer to get 1920x1080.

What I was saying that I would prefer to get 1440x1080i than the "other" true HD standard of 1280x720p.

If Dish goes with the true HD 1280x720p standard, then ours will have been a hollow victory indeed.

jekyll said:
who hasn't sent Dish an email. I got the standard reply "blah blah blah thanks"
I sent another email yesterday, and got the standard reply which never really addressed the specifics of my complaint. But what I found particulary interesting was that I sent it with a Read Receipt requested. Their system forwarded my email to several departments within their organization, and I've gotten at least 10 replys back that say "deleted without being read" as indicated below:
Your message
To: #Cheyenne - TOC Team Leaders; #Gilbert - Broadcast Ops
Subject: FW: Voom Resolution
Sent: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:10:06 -0700
was deleted without being read on Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:31:58 -0700

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)