Dish Network 2700 Receiver

young-pup

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
TX
Hi I have a old 2700 Dish Network Receiver, that we take out camping with us. If I buy another 2700 receiver from eBay or a garage-sale; can I use my card from my receiver on the other receiver or will I have to get a new one from dish, and will this cost me extra money. I would just like to have a spare receiver in case one breaks!
Thanks for any help you guys can give:)

the cards cannot be swapped out and Dish last I checked wont even activate one of those old units. They are upgrading folks to newer unites like the 311

No, cards are married to the receiver they come with. Dish could send you a replacement card for a small fee, you should check the receiver numbers to make sure a balance is not owed on the receiver. If you buy it and there is a balance due, you become liable for it.

The smart cards are unable to be transferred because they are "married" to the receiver. Your best bet for getting a replacement would be purchasing a 311 model. With a purchased receiver you would only have the extra monthly fee when you have the receiver active on your account.

O-Man ...that's just not fair.. so it sounds like if and when my old 2700 goes out I'm just out of luck! So far they are at lest sending me out the new update cards when its time to get one!! I have had this old monster scene the ice age and it's still going strong!
So all of these receivers I see for sale.. is it just best to just leave them along.
Thanks for the help guys but kind of disappointing!!

Do I have to purchasing the 311 model from dish, are is eBay ok to buy from as long as I check the receiver numbers to make sure a balance is not owed!,

Do I have to purchasing the 311 model from dish, are is eBay ok to buy from as long as I check the receiver numbers to make sure a balance is not owed!,

Find a retailer to buy a 311 from. The dealer cost has recently been reduced drastically and you may be surprised at the price you can get. I am not sure if I am allowed to tell you what the current dealer cost is but shop around. Make sure you do not get an older stock wihout a current purple G3 smart card. CHECK BEFORE PAYING. I recently had a local camper buy a 311 at a local Radio Shack without a card in it. Do not risk buying a previously activated receiver. Do not buy a 301 or any model with a 4 digit model number. These are all 4PSK receivers and will no longer work when the 8PSK transition is completed.

Go here and just enter you ZIP code to find the nearest retailers.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/customerService/locate_retailer/default.aspx

I started with DISH witha 2700 anda 3700. That was in 1999. I recently asked if they had any interest in getting the receivers back and thy advised me to dispose of them. The 311 isa big improvement.

Thanks you guys ...You saved me from making a few purchasing mistakes...Thanks Iceburg, HIFI You guys don't have a site or satellite FTA abbreviations guide do you lol!

We bought the 2700 years ago from dish when we first started out with dish. We also have a 625 DVR that they set us up with a few years ago we love it. I guess we are kind of behind the times no hd yet! We have been with dish like for ever. My neighbor said they set him up with three receivers. and he is paying the same thing we are paying. I wish they would give us three reciver for are home are heck two DVR would be nice. It seems that all the new customers get all the good stuff. But there good old customers that have been with them for every can't seem to get those good deals now that's not fair...We thought about stopping are account and see if we could go back and sigh up as new customers and get one of those good deals!! But we haven't dish has been good to us.

We bought the 2700 years ago from dish when we first started out with dish. We also have a 625 DVR that they set us up with a few years ago we love it. I guess we are kind of behind the times no hd yet! We have been with dish like for ever. My neighbor said they set him up with three receivers. and he is paying the same thing we are paying. I wish they would give us three reciver for are home are heck two DVR would be nice. It seems that all the new customers get all the good stuff. But there good old customers that have been with them for every can't seem to get those good deals now that's not fair...We thought about stopping are account and see if we could go back and sigh up as new customers and get one of those good deals!! But we haven't dish has been good to us.

I would be more than happy to take a look at your account and see what your options are. Just PM me your phone number or account number and I'll see what we are able to do.

My neighbor said they set him up with three receivers. and he is paying the same thing we are paying. I wish they would give us three reciver for are home are heck two DVR would be nice. It seems that all the new customers get all the good stuff. But there good old customers that have been with them for every can't seem to get those good deals now that's not fair...We thought about stopping are account and see if we could go back and sigh up as new customers and get one of those good deals!! But we haven't dish has been good to us.

Everybody with dish pays the same rate with the exception of the new customer discounts. In a year he will be paying more that you. This is one of my biggest jobs as a retailer in not over selling the customer. Yes the equipment is FREE but there are monthly fees for everything. In a setup with three dual-tuner receivers, you will pay an extra $28 per month. I do a lot of mirroring for customers. I have a couple just down the street from me with a 222k and 7 seven TV's. It is just the two of them in the house but they can watch two different programs on any two TVs in the house. I have personally had dish at my house for more than 16 years. I do a LOT of Retail Dish-n-it-up promotional installations and probably more than 95% of them are FREE to the customer. Retailers are prohibited from signing up existing customers as new unless they have been disconnected more than 6 months and their previous account has no outstanding balance.

Last edited:
Don't buy a 2700 or a 311 as a spare! If your 2700 goes belly-up, Dish will replace it free with a 311 as part of their 8PSK migration. At least that is my understanding. Ray will doubtless give you all your options, including your Dish'n It Up options for 3 receivers and/or WHUP to HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)