Dish Network guys: more help needed with RSN coverage issue

catncardfan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
west Kentucky
I have the Multisport pack and for years have been able to receive the St. Louis Cardinal games via FS Midwest. Thus far this year those games are blocked for me. I'm definitely in the Cardinals market area so obviously I think this is wrong. On Thursday, opening day, both FS MW and ESPN were carrying the Cards game. Guess what. Both channels were blocked to me. Something definitely seemed wrong with that picture. I'd much appreciate it if some of the Dish Network folks could help get this corrected.

Thanks. Will they do that without my giving a reason why? I've talked with several csr's and they've given me no help at all. They all say the have no control over the blackouts, the standard company line apparently. I emailed FS MW and they said definitely that the games should be available here.

I sent you a PM with some more information. According to dish.com, they are blacked out with the zip code you provided. If you feel it's still wrong, I need a phone number/account number sent in a PM.

I am in western Kentucky and am experiencing the exact same thing. I have had the multisport for years and years and have always gotten the Cardinals games on FS Midwest. So far this year, they have been blacked out. I have also chatted with CSR's numerous times but they can't give me an answer. I emailed FSM as well but haven't received a reply. I don't understand, the games are still available to my friends with Direct and Comcast.

I am in western Kentucky and am experiencing the exact same thing. I have had the multisport for years and years and have always gotten the Cardinals games on FS Midwest. So far this year, they have been blacked out. I have also chatted with CSR's numerous times but they can't give me an answer. I emailed FSM as well but haven't received a reply. I don't understand, the games are still available to my friends with Direct and Comcast.

Sometimes the RSN's offer a couple of different contracts with each contract covering different viewing areas. It could be that Dish has a new contract with FS Midwest this year and decided not to pick up the contract for the outer viewing area's since it costs them more money and decided that is wasn't worth it to them. That is why Comcast and Direct might still have it in your area, because they decided to spend the extra money and get the contract which included the outer area's too. Dish doesn't seem too interested in spending money on sports, just look at what is available on the NY RSN's, NOTHING

Sometimes the RSN's offer a couple of different contracts with each contract covering different viewing areas. It could be that Dish has a new contract with FS Midwest this year and decided not to pick up the contract for the outer viewing area's since it costs them more money and decided that is wasn't worth it to them. That is why Comcast and Direct might still have it in your area, because they decided to spend the extra money and get the contract which included the outer area's too. Dish doesn't seem too interested in spending money on sports, just look at what is available on the NY RSN's, NOTHING

Thanks for the info. If this is the case, I wish they would just tell me so I can go ahead and get rid of Dish and get Comcast or Direct. I don't want to miss any more games than I have to.

these blackouts are simply idiotic.
For example....Territories. I live near Charlotte, NC.....According to MLB, my zip code lies within the territories of ...Washington Nationals. Baltimore Orioles, Cincinnati Reds and Atlanta Braves....Now, the reason for blackouts is primarily to protect the home team's ticket sales and their advertisers.
Ok..I get the ticket sale thing. However, the closest of those cities in drive time is 4 hours. The Nats are 6 hrs, Orioles 7 and it's a 7.5 hour jaunt to Cincy. In fact, it's a shorter drive to Pittsburgh from here than it is to Cincinnati..So if we use progressive logic, MLB mgmnt believes if the games were not available on a sports pack (MLB EI) and were not televised locally to here, I would just jump into my car and head out to the old ball yard.....400 miles distant...Umm HELL-OOOOOOOO!
I wouldn't drive 15 minutes if I just wanted to stay home and watch the game or post messages on satelliteguys.us.
A few years ago, Congress was finally going to take up the issue of sports blackouts, territories and exclusive tv deals...They punted. And here we are still dealing with television's 1950's ideas.
Here's my take..I f I am willing to pay to view something, I should have that opportunity without regard to the soil on which my home rests.
What kills me is I can read any newspaper on line or listen to thousands of radio stations in the same manner. BUt TV?!!!!! Hell no....This issue has as much logic as a screen door on a submarine

There are examples where Dish subs "should" be able to get a not-quite-local team with Multi-Sport, but cannot. For example, at one time there were areas in Central PA that should qualify for Orioles / Nats / Pirates, but Dish did not include MASN Nats games, even with Multi-Sport. (This was a few years ago and may have changes since then.) There are also multiple threads on here of Royals or Cards fans in Arkansas not being able to see their team on Dish.

I just wish I could get a straight answer. I noticed on my guide last night that this coming weeks Cardinals games are blacked out to me until Friday, where it shows as available thru the weekend. I don't know if this is accurate or if the guide information isn't updated that far in advance. I just want to know if I'm gonna be able to get the games this year or not so I can make arrangements with another provider.

I just wish I could get a straight answer. I noticed on my guide last night that this coming weeks Cardinals games are blacked out to me until Friday, where it shows as available thru the weekend. I don't know if this is accurate or if the guide information isn't updated that far in advance. I just want to know if I'm gonna be able to get the games this year or not so I can make arrangements with another provider.
its all part of the good "deal" he got with fox sports..u pay less money u get less games

Thanks. Will they do that without my giving a reason why? I've talked with several csr's and they've given me no help at all. They all say the have no control over the blackouts, the standard company line apparently. I emailed FS MW and they said definitely that the games should be available here.

Sorry to bother again, I noticed that matt@dish had contacted you, just wondered if you had any more information.

I live in West KY and am having the same problem. Dish gives the same old line of it not being their fault. Yet opening day was broadcast on Comcast in my area. Suspicious. I will be calling the Cardinals and Fox Sports Midwest tomorrow. Depending on what I hear, I will be switching to DirecTV so I can salvage the rest of the season.

I live in West KY and am having the same problem. Dish gives the same old line of it not being their fault. Yet opening day was broadcast on Comcast in my area. Suspicious. I will be calling the Cardinals and Fox Sports Midwest tomorrow. Depending on what I hear, I will be switching to DirecTV so I can salvage the rest of the season.

You already have Direct TV.... why post this?

You already have Direct TV.... why post this?

Actually, no I do not have Direct TV. Please do not assume something you do not know, and would have no way of knowing. There is not one statement that I made that would lead one to assume that I have Direct. To the contrary, my second sentence would lead one to believe I am a Dish customer since I implied that I had spoken with their customer service.

Don't shoot the messenger but...

It has been confirmed that the blacked out games are correct. ESPN.com also has the same info for the zip codes provided, stating that they will be blacked out of Cardinals games. Sorry guys, FSNMW may have changed their coverage, but either way the Cardinals games will not be available for those who PM'd me (W. Kentucky people).

Sorry again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)