DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I appreciate the quarterly reports posted here, but due to the nature of the quarterly reporters, maybe we can give Bluegrass a sticky with a locked thread? Let’s face it, none of us are rubbing shoulders with the billionaires that built from scratch, and ATT has proven that any DIRECTion is possible. I personally think Dish is going to find themselves in bed with Amazon it Apple, or both. That would light the entire world on fire.

Get a good lawyer and sue them for it?

The lawyers had me get a bunch of patents on a product I developed.
My competitors were the two biggest chemical companies in the world.

The lawyers told me the patents only had one value and that was to get the competitors to sit down and talk to me if they decided to steal my ideas.

They went on to say that no way in hell could I go to court. The cost of walking through the court house door would be $250,000 (back in the 90's).
And that was just to open the door.
That is chump change for the big guys. They know they can smash you anytime they want, so talk, talk, talk, and accept any crumbs they want to leave you.

Reactions: AZ. and navychop
I was browsing the SEC Edgar file on the Dish 2nd Quarter 10Q and stumbled onto this little gem.
Did a search of the document for any other references and there were none.

"On July 30, 2018, we did not provide notice to renew our lease for the capacity of Ciel II. Accordingly, our lease for the capacity of Ciel II will expire in January 2019 at the conclusion of the initial term. There can be no assurance that the expiration of our lease for capacity of Ciel II will not have a material adverse effect on our business, results of operations and financial condition or otherwise disrupt our business."

Accordingly, our lease for the capacity of Ciel II will expire in January 2019 at the conclusion of the initial term.

Ciel II is currently at 129? What else is there (or anywhere else for that matter) that could take up the slack?

Dish's wireless is not about consumer smartphones. 5G is not really about consumer smartphones--it represents a small use of the spectrum even for the big wireless companies. Dish's plan for its wireless is IoT. 5G for all wireless companies is about IoT. Dish's customers for its wireless services could be some consumers for 5G broadband along with institutional customers. The vast majority of users of the big wireless companies 5G will be corporate with consumers representing a minority of users.

Dish is going IoT for its spectrum, so it won't need a single brick and mortor store nor will it be selling phones. It could sell broadband internet access to consumers using 5G, but corporate clients will also find such a service attractive. The Big wireless companies are going heavily IoT for its 5G with a small portion for consumer phones. The spectrum can allow this, and the big money and growth is in IoT including driverless cars, wireless 5G broadband and a whole lot more not invoving smartphones nor individual consumers.

5G's attributes is what IoT has been waiting for such as automobiles (not just driverless capabilities, but auto makers pushing updates to its core, safety, information, and entrainment systems keeping them all up to date or even adding features, and, especially, patching security holes would be a tremendous advancement), virtual reality as it relates to self driving cars in in bad weather and fog (possibly aviation, as well) and medicine/health care, manufacturing and industry with far superior communication among machines. None of this is about smartphones. The businesses that can benifit from 5G are eager for 5G's enhancements and are willing to pay, especially Waymo, Lyft, Uber, and trucking companies because 5G makes driverless vehicles much safer. None of this requires brick and mortar stores for consumers.

So, anyone who still thinks 5G is about smartphones does not understand 5G technology nor do they understand who demands 5G's benifits and who is willing to pay a lot more than some smartphone user looking for the cheapest plan, nor do they understand the larger growth and higher profits from corporate and institutional customers 5G represents. Of course, 5G broadband could be a competitor to our current consumet broadband ISP's (cable cos.), especially delivering true broadband speeds in rural areas if the network is done right. 5G represents a big change in the world as we know it today, while smartphones won't be changing nearly as much.

I just posted this (with no details like yours) in another thread yesterday I think. It was in regards to rising internet cost and I was saying DISH should get off it's buns and do something with what it has to become a competitor. Many lf us have seen wireless internet service as the next big thing.

I appreciate the quarterly reports posted here, but due to the nature of the quarterly reporters, maybe we can give Bluegrass a sticky with a locked thread? Let’s face it, none of us are rubbing shoulders with the billionaires that built from scratch, and ATT has proven that any DIRECTion is possible. I personally think Dish is going to find themselves in bed with Amazon it Apple, or both. That would light the entire world on fire.
Not if they keep bleeding customers

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Isn’t 129 an integrel part of the Western Arc configuration? How could they go without that bird?

I mean, Eastern Arc is only 2 satellites, so I guess anything is possible..

AFAIK it would take major changes to get all the channels on the western arc onto 110 and 119 if it would even be possible at all. It's already August now so they don't have an awful lot of time.

Maybe they have plans to float an Echostar satellite to 129?

Isn’t there a lot on 129 today?

I believe there’s a recent model spare up there, but they can’t use 129 as a location without leasing it.

And the wording is ambiguous. Did somebody forget, or was it a deliberate choice? Hard to believe somebody just forgot.

Surely this is not a negotiating ploy over price? I don’t think Canada can use the capacity, and there really is no other customer.

Record setting shift from MPEG-4 to HEVC in the works?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Isn’t there a lot on 129 today?

I believe there’s a recent model spare up there, but they can’t use 129 as a location without leasing it.

And the wording is ambiguous. Did somebody forget, or was it a deliberate choice? Hard to believe somebody just forgot.

Surely this is not a negotiating ploy over price? I don’t think Canada can use the capacity, and there really is no other customer.

Record setting shift from MPEG-4 to HEVC in the works?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

AFAIK there's no other satellite parked at 129. I don't know whether they could use or rent the spot but not the satellite and frankly I have no idea what they're doing. They usually have a plan and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

AFAIK it would take major changes to get all the channels on the western arc onto 110 and 119 if it would even be possible at all. It's already August now so they don't have an awful lot of time.

It's one of two things.

1:. They are negotiating with SES (the owner of ciel 2) for a lower lease fee and have not yet come to an agreement .

129 ku is an exclusive Canadian licensed satellite with Canadian ground control and Dish does not control the license. This is why they lease and can not move another satellite there without SES and Canadian approval.

2:. If at&t (DirecTV) has enough KA satellites for their needs, they might lease their 119 and 110 transponder frequencies to dish and they could duplicate the 2 satellite eastern arc.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

It's one of two things.

1:. They are negotiating with SES (the owner of ciel 2) for a lower lease fee and have not yet come to an agreement .

129 ku is an exclusive Canadian licensed satellite with Canadian ground control and Dish does not control the license. This is why they lease and can not move another satellite there without SES and Canadian approval.

2:. If at&t (DirecTV) has enough KA satellites for their needs, they might lease their 119 and 110 transponder frequencies to dish and they could duplicate the 2 satellite eastern arc.

Other than the possibility it's just a negotiating tactic then somehow acquiring the capacity at 110 and 119 from AT&T is the only other thing that makes sense.

Thank you Nelson. :)

Mpeg 4 transistion would do it

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
It's one of two things.

2:. If at&t (DirecTV) has enough KA satellites for their needs, they might lease their 119 and 110 transponder frequencies to dish and they could duplicate the 2 satellite eastern arc

I was doing some counting on "the other site" and after a recent dish uplink, they are now putting 14 HD channels per transponder and in the process have already cleared out 4 transponders on 129 that were used for HD. There is another transponder on 129 used for EPG and a couple of SD channels and one for the 4k channel.

I wonder if Dish duplicates what they have done on EA on Western Arc. Dish removed most of the SD channels that they have HD channels for and put them on 77, and now 77 isn't always included with the new EA installs. Does Dish do the same thing by moving all the SD channels on 129 that have an HD channel and if they go away, so be it?

Western Arc still has QPSK for the spotbeams, so there is space to be made there. And of course the mpeg4 transition that was already mentioned.

So many things that we can think about!

Or, as was said, could just be a negotiating tactic and nothing changes.

I was doing some counting on "the other site" and after a recent dish uplink, they are now putting 14 HD channels per transponder and in the process have already cleared out 4 transponders on 129 that were used for HD. There is another transponder on 129 used for EPG and a couple of SD channels and one for the 4k channel.

I wonder if Dish duplicates what they have done on EA on Western Arc. Dish removed most of the SD channels that they have HD channels for and put them on 77, and now 77 isn't always included with the new EA installs. Does Dish do the same thing by moving all the SD channels on 129 that have an HD channel and if they go away, so be it?

Western Arc still has QPSK for the spotbeams, so there is space to be made there. And of course the mpeg4 transition that was already mentioned.

So many things that we can think about!

Or, as was said, could just be a negotiating tactic and nothing changes.

DirecTV announced a couple of years ago that they were doing away with SD in 2019 and the satellites at 110 and 119 would no longer be necessary. If Dish could somehow get those transponders in time they'd have it made. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)