Dish Seen In DirecTV’s Orbit

You can call it what you want but when SiriusXM took away free streaming and kicked in all the fees it was a price increase.

You also can call it what you want. ;)

Netflix didn't merge and promise anything. They made a business decision yes. SiriusXM made it seem like they were going to keep all prices the same.

Who did Verizon merge with when they touted how much less expensive LTE would be?

To get merger approval, all Sirius did was agree to freeze prices for 3-years. Did they actually agree to indefinitely absorb music royalty fees? The average cost for locals on Dish was what, $5. How long after "including" locals did Dish raise package prices? Did Dish actually absorb the cost of locals, or did they pass the cost on to the subscriber? I am inclined to believe its the latter.

I hope for your sake if they do merge and you being a rural subscriber you don't get screwed but I bet somewhere down the line you will.

I am no Dish worshiper. I realize that for corporations, money is what comes first. All I am saying is, if Dish & Directv wanted it bad enough, then they would most likely make the necessary accommodations to those who would be most affected by a merger in order to get approval.

And with Verizon... they came out in all their glory about LTE and how it will lower the cost of cell service. It may be irrelevant but that did happen. It's another big company that lied. Just like SiriusXM and I'm sure Dish/Direct will do.

I don't necessarily blame corporations for their greed. We consumers created them monsters, didn't we? We are gluttons for pay TV & tech (etc) and will pay through the nose for things we really don't need. :eek:

Yes, but you can get a lifetime sub instead. $499.99 for the first unit, $399.99 for each one after the first. Not the cheapest solution, but the easiest to use and the best solution for the vast majority of people who want to go ota-only (if you're willing to spend that money upfront).

Ya, that would be steep.

For what you're looking for, 2 Tivo Premieres or a HTPC with a couple of SiliconDust HDHR3's (2 tuners each) with a Xbox 360 or two is the answer. All other ota dvr's have too many problems and glitches. All ota antennas work with multiple tv's, dvr's, etc. You just need splitters. If you have so many splits that the signal is too weak, then some sort of signal amp is needed.

I do have a couple of decent desktops laying around with 2+ GHZ processors and 4+ GB RAM. I thought about making a couple of HTPC's using Linux DVR software.

I'm already waiting to see what kind of price hike we'll be getting this coming February to see what we're going to do. Go to cable, stick with Dish or go ota with disc rentals and add more streaming services to suppliment Netflix's shortcomings. Believe it or not, my kids are actually pushing for the third option. If we drop Dish, we'll most likely go the HTPC route.

That's my plan as well. I keep telling myself there are more options if I leave Dish behind then there are staying with 'em.

I never had a Dish tech run coaxial across my roof and down a rain gutter. If that's Directv's routing system...

Not sure if you're joking, but the "routing system" is not referring to installation procedures. It's the method of creating and dispatching work routes (jobs) to technicians each day.

So, your are saying that they don't know how to run cable or schedule drivers? Its worst than I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts