DLNA server on OSMIO4K

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I'm trying to use the DLNS server on the TNAP 3 image (miniDLNA?) but am running into 2 problems:
- it caches the content of the hard drive (meta data) and does not seem to update it, so it quickly ends up displaying an obsolete list of recordings. I have not found a way to update it.
- I can't seem to be able to fast-forward, which of course is a must when the recording contains commercials

Is there any other DLNA server that can be used on this box?

In the end, my goal is to be able to play my recordings via a Roku in other rooms. If anyone has any suggestions on others ways of doing this, i'm very open to suggestions. I have not found a way of browsing network shares from the roku

Thanks!

"Roku Media Player" app can browse network shares. It can also play HEVC stuff, IF your Roku is a 4k model.

I can't answer your question about using the Mio as a DLNA server though. Personally, I wouldn't use it that way as it's not its 'best use'. Otherwise, Legitfta.com is TNAP's home where it's built and maintained from, and IF you really want to do it, I'd post a thread over there. El Bandido will not necessarily see or do anything to help unless a post is made over there. He's not on this site.

Check into Emby, and consider using and older pc or laptop as a DLNA server. For that matter, Windows 10 has a very GOOD built-in DLNA server that I've used with my Ryzen 5 laptop. It also will work with 4k HEVC stuff. You simply have to activate it, and perhaps train your antivirus to open the needed ports. You will have to with McAfee, if you are using it.

Reactions: Brct203
Thanks for the info Mike!

I'll look into Emby and see if that can help

well, I think I made some progress... I copied a video file from my PC to the MIO - an m4v file - and not only did it show up in DLNA without having to touch the DLNA server, but when I play that file in the Roku (and same with the Firestick), I can fast forward.

So one answer to my question is that fast forward works for m4v files, but not with TS files. And of course the MIO recordings are TS files, so that does not help me more, but in the end, the problem is not the miniDLNA server.

I looke din the option in the Roku Media Player and it seems that DLNA is the only network protocol it does... no SMB, no NFS. So maybe there are different versions depending on the Roku (mine is definitely not a 4K, I think it's a Roku Express)

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)