• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
in the last few weeks I have seen some comments indicating that people may think that our comments in here may have had some real effect on the format war.

I came here originally for information but learned early on that there was a lot of misinformation. I have my own ideas of about where and why. I suspect that some of you agree with me and that some of you disagree.

but do you think that what goes on in forums really affects the outcome of these "wars"?

in the last few weeks I have seen some comments indicating that people may think that our comments in here may have had some real effect on the format war.

I came here originally for information but learned early on that there was a lot of misinformation. I have my own ideas of about where and why. I suspect that some of you agree with me and that some of you disagree.

but do you think that what goes on in forums really affects the outcome of these "wars"?
No, unless we back it with out buying dollars. However, these blogs and forums led to CBS bringing back Jericho for another 7 episodes...and that ain't peanuts (pardon the pun)!

CBS To Bring Back "Jericho", Fans Had Sent 50,000 Pounds Of Peanuts To Network To Protest Cancellation - The ShowBuzz

Oh, I don't think so. The format war was fought in board-rooms; using marketing data and prediction; and I suspect more than a few bribes....

I have been watching whos online lately and I was surprised about the amount of companies who have been sitting here (and in some cases participating) in the war zone.

Can't say it had anything to do with the outcome, but was interesting just the same. :)

Scott's observations doesn't surprise me at all. It would be in the best interest of any marketing dept of a major corporation to monitor these kinds of Web sites to get an idea of what people are saying about their products. These companies spend millions of dollars each year on research, surveys, focus groups, etc. Visiting fan forums like this and AVS are an exceptional way to get free and instant info on their markets. We are the grass roots early adopters who tell our friends and co-workers, post on the internet, and spend a lot of time doing our own product research. If you don't think our opinion matters, then you don't know anything about marketing. Did we decide the format war? Doubtful. If anything, I would say we may have contributed to prolonging it by collectively demonstrating our ongoing passionate support for both formats. The deciding factor was obviously sales numbers, though in some ways we (I mean all internet forums on the topic) contributed to that as well by announcing sales, new releases, discussing new hardware, and talking about our favorite titles and products.

I use forums to gather information be it positive or negative that way I have a better understanding of things including future purchases and act accordingly even though I understand that there are fanatics on both sides of any issue.

You gotta be kidding!

Forums have great value in sharing info, learning, making individual choices, venting, persuading, camaraderie. But this chatter influencing the outcome of the format war???

Hmmm... anybody wanna buy a bridge here in San Francisco?

If this wasn't discussed in forums and on-line reviews, people would've been buying the first Samsung BD player thinking it was a great product. And we probably would not have seen a reissue of The Fifth Element BD so quickly...

Do forums decide the outcome of the Format War? Most likely not. But they sure help raise awareness about any issues and problems and influence the early adopters.

If this wasn't discussed in forums and on-line reviews, people would've been buying the first Samsung BD player thinking it was a great product. And we probably would not have seen a reissue of The Fifth Element BD so quickly...

Do forums decide the outcome of the Format War? Most likely not. But they sure help raise awareness about any issues and problems and influence the early adopters.

+1
Plus the forums(online) are a great source to get more information about products, share important informations like new firmware updates, and I am sure it affected a lot of people when it came time to purchase 1 of the 2 formats.

You will be surprised how many people research online forums before they purchase something.

It was these forums that helped me decide which direction to go. I was leaning on Blu-ray and reading information here helped me decide to go with them. There was a lot of opinions why who's was bigger but between the lines, Blu-ray was getting a better reception. Where else could you you go and get information you get from here? So I believe the forums can be of good service. Good thing for me Blu-ray won, I bought 3 players over the last 4 month's. Hopefully now the price of disc's will come down. Or we still could be screwed for awhile since their is no longer any competition.

Wow the no votes jumped out to a big lead but it looks like that now that the votes from the rural precincts are counted we have a close race.

I voted no and think the question is absurd.
Example Dish and DirecTV..
We have 100K plus members around here, and I am sure a good amount of them chose who they wanted to go with because people recommended them, and them recommending their friends...

Example Dish and DirecTV..
We have 100K plus members around here, and I am sure a good amount of them chose who they wanted to go with because people recommended them, and them recommending their friends...

Influencing other posters on the forum is not the question.

You personally have implied that these forums influnced the war. That is the absurd part.

You personally have implied that these forums influenced the war. That is the absurd part.

I thought I mentioned in the OP that the question dealt with the foramt war. Perhaps it is my fault if that was not clear.

I thought I mentioned in the OP that the question dealt with the foramt war. Perhaps it is my fault if that was not clear.

I understood your intent, but I think others are just reading the question "Do Forums Matter?" and voting on that question. They are not reading your post and voting on "Did Forums Influence the Outcome of the Format War?"

And in Ice's case, he just twists it to fit whatever he thinks anyway. Go Blu! :rolleyes:

You personally have implied that these forums influnced the war. That is the absurd part.

It influenced other people to buy movies, take advantage of sales and bogo's.
Don't give me that B/S forums/infos that were posted not only here but other forums too like avs had no effect on the war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)