Do you Have an EHD?

I don't have an EHD because I usually don't keep a lot of old stuff, but if my 722k was in need of a replacement, I would surely buy one to transfer my stuff from my old one to my replacement one.

If you loose a hard drive say by by to those recordings. I always transfer every program I want to keep to EHD.

I've been using a 1TB WD drive on my 211 ever since they bumped the capacity to that level (Mar. '09, IIRC) Almost have it full. It has been rock solid from day 1 (KoW !!) I'd give it a 9+. My only complaints are minor things, like the back-up button takes me back 30 seconds (S/B only 10) and when I want to cancel-out of the DVR function that should take only 1 click instead of several "Cancels". I would also like more characters available in the (re)naming screen, and the option to have multiple capital letters...

I don't completely understand what you mean by "I want to cancel-out of the DVR function". However in case it helps, if you are in a DVR function I find that pressing "View" normally takes you directly back to live viewing of whatever channel you were on. If something is recording and you want out of it just change the channel and answer "yes" to "should you stop the recording?". This is 2 clicks though and you will still have part of a recording on the hard drive.

Yeah, I think it's great, I have about 8 of them, but unfortunately quite limited as to what you can do with it, thanks DMCA.

And if you ever decide to cancel dish, bye bye to all that recorded content.

OK, I am going to be the oddball here. I have an EHD and activated the service but I only rate it a 3. I was under the impression that I would be able to hook up the EHD to the DVR to more or less expand the available space on my DVR. But instead, I have to go through the whole process to copy shows to the EHD and then move them back to the DVR if I actually want to watch them. Not as simple of a process that I expected.

I'm not sure which DVR you have but with the 622/722/722K there is no need to transfer a recording back to the DVR's hard drive to watch it. You can watch any recording from the EHD. I find transferring to the EHD quite a simple process that actually allows you to watch a recorded show from the DVR's hard drive or a live broadcast while the transfer process is taking place

I'm not sure which DVR you have but with the 622/722/722K there is no need to transfer a recording back to the DVR's hard drive to watch it. You can watch any recording from the EHD. I find transferring to the EHD quite a simple process that actually allows you to watch a recorded show from the DVR's hard drive or a live broadcast while the transfer process is taking place
I stand corrected. I am able to watch it directly from the EHD. Not sure what issue I had before. I will need to play with this some more to evaluate.

The 922 originally worked that way when it came out. You could only transfer recorded content on the external hard drive to your receiver before you could watch it. Thank God they updated it and it now works like the 722/722k does. Watch straight from the ex hard drive.

Yeah, I think it's great, I have about 8 of them, but unfortunately quite limited as to what you can do with it, thanks DMCA.

And if you ever decide to cancel dish, bye bye to all that recorded content.

Yeah, it would be nice if they didn't encrypt. But encryption is what makes it possible. If they couldn't encrypt, they wouldn't make the feature available.

Besides, a good DVD recorder will solve the problem. DVD recorder with RW disc + VideoReDo to cut commercials + DVD Lab Pro = a pretty nice solution. I'm starting to have quite the Gunsmoke collection. And it will survive service termination (if I were ever to do that). ;)

Sure, that's not for everyone, but it works. And since Gunsmoke comes on while I'm at work... the EHD on my 211k makes it convenient . :)

Cheers

I rate mine and it's functionality a 9. I would like to see the ability to record directly to the EHD, or automatically shift to the EHD when the IHD is full. Then, I can give it a 10!!!

I also love my 2 EHD's, but would like to have them hooked up and online together through a hub. That would make my 9 rating a 10.

I hope that all readers of this thread not already realizing the huge benefits of a EHD runs out and buys one ASAP. As you can see they are an exceptional tool for a little investment. I am intreagued though as what you can use 8 or 10 or 12 EHD's for.

I hope that all readers of this thread not already realizing the huge benefits of a EHD runs out and buys one ASAP. As you can see they are an exceptional tool for a little investment. I am intreagued though as what you can use 8 or 10 or 12 EHD's for.

Mainly movies, but also TV series to save, such as LIFE, Migrations, etc. But also TV series don't have time to watch now, but can watch in mini-marathons later.

I have them cataloged in a simple Excel file.

I used to archive lots of TV - I still have dozens of VHS tapes that I haven't had the time or desire to transfer to DVD. It is sometimes fun to go back and look at those 20-to-25 year old tapes (often the commercials are more fun to watch than the programs.) But lately I've tried to become more selective about what I choose to archive, and when I do save something I transfer it to DVD. Like some of the others here, i don't want to be tied to Dish and its hardware for the programs I choose to save. I love my 722 and haven't had any problems with running out of room on the built-in hard drive, so I have yet to take the plunge and get an EHD.

I have four. Most are filled with commercial-free content from HDNet (ST:Enterprise, Movies and concerts). I've got the opening and closing ceremonies from the Bejing Olympics in there somewhere as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts