DSR 905 Battery Again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomcomm

Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
My 905 was one of the first, its got the hex ID system. Got it for $50 when NPS had a Showtime promotion. It must be approaching 10 years so I am reluctantly considering a battery replacement. I've read many threads and went thru the 905 archives all the way into 2002! Many threads discussed the eventuality of replacement but no actual detailed procedure for the 905 was presented, or did I miss it? It doesn't seem reasonable a battery that is plainly visible thru the top mesh requires the complete mother board removal described for the 922 replacement? Maybe there is no detailed procedure for the 905? I would certainly like to know this for sure before I dive in and do my own hack. Thanks for any reply.....Tom

I haven't had the chance to personally rip the guts out of a 4DTV receiver, but the battery replacement on this should be more or less the same as on the 922. The easiest way I've seen is to replace it from the top, wrap the leads of the new battery around the leads of the old battery where they stick out from the top of the PCB, solder very quickly and snip off the old battery as fast as possible. The drawback is that if you don't do it quickly enough it drains the new battery and you risk one of them exploding, and supposedly if the mainboard loses power it is ruined.

I haven't had the chance to personally rip the guts out of a 4DTV receiver, but the battery replacement on this should be more or less the same as on the 922. The easiest way I've seen is to replace it from the top, wrap the leads of the new battery around the leads of the old battery where they stick out from the top of the PCB, solder very quickly and snip off the old battery as fast as possible. The drawback is that if you don't do it quickly enough it drains the new battery and you risk one of them exploding, and supposedly if the mainboard loses power it is ruined.

Clip on an alligator clip between the board solder joint, and the old battery to act as a heat sink. Then, solder the new battery wire to the old battery, above where the alligator clip is biting onto the old battery wire. + to plus and - to minus side. Let it cool down, then do it on the opposite side. After you are done, remove the alligator clip, and cut the old battery body off close to it's case using a sharp wire-cutters. if you do it this way, you nearly eliminate any chance of the battery wire heating up enough to melt the solder joint on the board, and killing the unit id.

I thought the 905's had the little round flat battery like a watch or hearing aid on the board that was a real pain to try and fix. I guess it could be converted to a normal battery like the 922's take.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts