dsr401 project

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

surfdevil83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Toronto
Since I found my 922 I have friends and family that want cband. Well as we all know 922's are made from that special material unoptainium. On the other hand here in Canada 401's are everywhere for about five dollars at your local thrift store. So the project began... I started reading in the post here from years gone by and others have tried to remap the 401 as well. I figured if the 410 can remap then why not the the 401 even if it is a for the anik sats. So I pointed my ten foot cband to w5 then option 6778 to reset the 401. I figured I might as well start with a clean unit. I called my provider and asked for a hit to see if we could trip the unit. Nothing. I then tried to manually tune channel 204 (option 6778). Channel 204 on a 410 is discovery kids. The 922 cband discovery kids shows 1090.00f 19.51s 3/4 so I input to the 401 and press tune. I get a green lite but still no hits. Provider id is 0 and guide is not available. I then tried 1070.00, 1170.00 with no hits.

Round two stared with hooking the 401 back up to a ku dish and point at 107 let the 401 remap with the updated maps. My idea is to give me more options on the channels, thinking 204 really isn't 204 discovery kids on the 401. I let it sit all night. The next day provider id is normal 4128 still no guide. Ok back to the big dish now with the 401. I press guide and it downloads a guide for five channels. (319 ppv1, 322 ppv2, 337 cnbc, 340 rock country, 507 wcov, 940 wnbc) Providers 4096 4160 next line provider 4128 next line on any channel emm stream no. Ok time to call for hits!!! Tune to 204 and nothing, no hits. I then tried to scan for a new activation stream(option 6778) with my provider and nothing. In fact it put me back to provider id 0. So round two had to start over to get back to this point.

Round three stared with downloading my guide(5 whole channels that don't seem to exist) I started to check a channel at a time for a zero key or zk that might give a hint what channel i'm on. I found channel 366 on the 401 that is zk. This is a radio station from w5 that I have seen on the 922. I checked the freq on the 922 and found this channel to be w5 826 1330.00f 19.51s 3/4. On the 401 it shows the channel 366 freq 1404.750f 19.51s 3/4. This channel is light classical. On the 410 I think this is channel 906 in the mapped channels.

This brings me to a hault until I can figure out what channel 204 really is. The only transponder they can send a hit on is 204-215. If I can find the real 204 for the 401 discovery kids I might get a hit. The math for the freq seems to be simple (adding 74.25 to the 922 freq). At this point after several hours and atempts I wonder if the 401 would make a better door stop then a w5 unit. This would be a great way to bring life back to cband in canada if we could make it work.

Surfdevil83

To get hit on W5 with the 410 you have to have SRL as your EMM provider. (I forgot the number) SRL only will authorize the 410's the 401's 405's etc that Starchoice uses they are not setup to hit. Although those *C receivers are DSR-905's for the most part under hood they need the proper EMM provide and maps to work with the US services.

In the system status screen while on w5 the line "R" says emm providers 4096,4160. Line "S" says emm provider 4128(this is shaw) Line "T" says emm stream NO.

This tells me that the receiver see's the other providers but does not see a new stream to download the new maps. Whats weird is the sat id says A4 when it's on w5. I've done some more reading and I think that the 401 has to report back before it can receive a new hit. My concern is if I report back by hooking to a phone line who gets the bill if money was owed on this 401?

A4 is what maps in on 107.3°W. The EMM stream will register "NO" until it receives a trip.

It's been a while since I had the 410 subbed, If I remember channel 204 mapped in as Game Show Network. I think the IF freq. was 1030.000mhz.

Now, I'm thinking...my currently subbed 905 is what maps Shaw as A4 and it also shows a different target software level when it's there. It also ran when TDT count up to 7425?? But it still works fine.

I think the 410s show a different satellite ID in the menu when pointed there. One still shows X4 no matter where it's left. My 4200V receivers never map on A4 or W5. But do in other places with a DCII stream such as G28.

Corrado you have peeked my interest with another stream on G28! Have you got a channel that you leave your 4200 on? I've pointed the 10 foot and found pbs on the 922 but no green light on the 401.

I've experimented with this in the past with limited success. I still believe it can be done using a wiggler (BDM) device connected to the processor and software like 4Play. I just haven't had the time to continue with the project.

From the research that i've done I tend to agree. It would be nice to have a way of recycling these old receivers but the technical side of bdm's and forplay are over my head.

I wonder if these receivers follow the same logic as many Motorola radios. In that the the difference between the US version and the Canadian version is in the control head. (The front panel) While the decryption takes place inside the main board.

Thats where I would try focusing.

The DC-2 technology is the same between the Canadian and U.S. units. The only real difference is the EMM service provider is using a different set of working keys.

The DC-2 technology is the same between the Canadian and U.S. units. The only real difference is the EMM service provider is using a different set of working keys.

Exactly, which can be changed by using a BDM wiggler device attached to the processor. I would love to get back into this project.

Exactly, which can be changed by using a BDM wiggler device attached to the processor. I would love to get back into this project.

Without getting into hack talk. The DC works quite a bit like the old VC2. One could actually reprogram the service ID's to provide access to commercial streams on the VC2. The way Starchoice, HITS, 4DTV work is the same. They all have a provider ID. Changing it would allow a *c to think it's a HITS box etc. The only problem is it could not be authorized by Motorola for services since they won't. Going beyond that point would be hacking so I'm stopping there but to get ZK or FP stuff it would work.

Without getting into hack talk. The DC works quite a bit like the old VC2. One could actually reprogram the service ID's to provide access to commercial streams on the VC2. The way Starchoice, HITS, 4DTV work is the same. They all have a provider ID. Changing it would allow a *c to think it's a HITS box etc. The only problem is it could not be authorized by Motorola for services since they won't. Going beyond that point would be hacking so I'm stopping there but to get ZK or FP stuff it would work.

I meant to receive only ZK and FP stuff. Getting someone to authorize the box once changed would be a challenge.

The option in the hidden tuning menu to search for a new authorization stream clears the provider ID after a soft reset. I had one of my 410s successfully relearn to 4128 from 4160. After that, the channels even mapped in correctly. It had to sit on the stream of days. Just don't do a master reset at the same time. Otherwise, it has to remain on the original provider until it receives at least one trip again first.

I meant to receive only ZK and FP stuff. Getting someone to authorize the box once changed would be a challenge.

We need to send our boxes our own hits :D

I've read some interesting stuff about the DC-2. Unfortunately I can't talk about that stuff in an open forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)