DTV gemini

the hs17 is a strange form factor, for me persoanlly there is no place it would fit, other than the floor behind the tv stand where the cat would play with it
It's a server. It can quite literally be put anywhere you can run the coax to. It does not need to be anywhere near the TV.

It's a server. It can quite literally be put anywhere you can run the coax to. It does not need to be anywhere near the TV.
well my coax goes from my dish, underground, under the house, outside along the house(tv room is a slab on grade), through the wall to the tv. so can it go outside or under the house? if not its on the floor behind the tv. again the form sucks.

well my coax goes from my dish, underground, under the house, outside along the house(tv room is a slab on grade), through the wall to the tv. so can it go outside or under the house? if not its on the floor behind the tv. again the form sucks.
Why would the coax be under the home and not in a conduit? Id say your home wiring form is far more of a problem. What happens when that coax gives out?

Reactions: robjlevin
Add a splitter and run the coax to another room or does your house only have one room?

nah, i swapped to directv stream 2 months ago, directv is now cancelled
got tired of wiating for a 4k dvr that did not need a client

This is an Osprey box with a slightly different primary app that connects to the Genie 2 and acts as a 4K satellite client. Gives the ability to download apps from the Google Play store and better meets the needs of most viewers - desiring one main box for satellite/cable and apps. This is probably a win for most customers.

Ok so why not just create a Google TV app that acts as a Genie client. I mean the DirecTV Stream app works pretty good, but it doesn’t show ALL the channels or view recordings right off the DVR.

Osprey doesn’t have a coax port does it? So it’s all IP via Ethernet or WiFi to genie anyway right? So a google tv app (or any platform for that matter- Samsung Tizen, Roku, LG WebOS) should work if it’s on the same network as your DVR. Why invest in all this hardware when so many TV’s have enough processing power to do the heavy lifting? Ok sure you can’t control the remote. Maybe that’s part of branding… oh well.

And for those rural areas with no internet options… why not look into Starlink maybe?

Doesn't Google TV require a quad core processor and a couple gigs of ram to run fast? If they put Google TV on the HR-54 it would probably run really slow. It can barely run the APPS it has now.
yes goo
the hs17 is a strange form factor, for me persoanlly there is no place it would fit, other than the floor behind the tv stand where the cat would play with it
ours is wall mounted in the media room closet outta sight outta mind

Ok so why not just create a Google TV app that acts as a Genie client. I mean the DirecTV Stream app works pretty good, but it doesn’t show ALL the channels or view recordings right off the DVR.

Osprey doesn’t have a coax port does it? So it’s all IP via Ethernet or WiFi to genie anyway right? So a google tv app (or any platform for that matter- Samsung Tizen, Roku, LG WebOS) should work if it’s on the same network as your DVR. Why invest in all this hardware when so many TV’s have enough processing power to do the heavy lifting? Ok sure you can’t control the remote. Maybe that’s part of branding… oh well.

And for those rural areas with no internet options… why not look into Starlink maybe?
The Osprey for Satellite comes with a Ethernet to coax adapter

It allows streaming IN ADDITION to satellite. That said, I called and for some reason I was not eligible. Not that important to me.
i called and asked about it. they told me that i qualify to upgrade. and they have my number in there database iv'e gotten calls at 8:30 PST wanting to get me upgraded. i just tell em i'm fine with the clients and that i don't want another contract unless we moved!!! then i told the rep when they came out with something that's worth talking about then maybe just maybe.

it was invitation only for HS-17 accounts. as the "box" is a Wireless 4k mini and the Hs-17 has a built-in wireless bridge. allowing the "box' to be a mini and app combo meaning it will access the hs-17 playlist as well as setup recordings.

Reactions: John2021
it was invitation only for HS-17 accounts. as the "box" is a Wireless 4k mini and the Hs-17 has a built-in wireless bridge. allowing the "box' to be a mini and app combo meaning it will access the hs-17 playlist as well as setup recordings.
you can also use DECA coax to ethernet to connect it also. it would be interesting to see the guide!!! and it would be interesting to see if it act's like the hopper hey google tune to channel xxxx rewind one minute turn the lights down ect ect

So, the hell with the rest of the subs ?
How about those with the Genie HR54 or HR44.

I will never go the "Server" route, it limits what I can do with my set ups.

Reactions: mdram
you can also use DECA coax to ethernet to connect it also. it would be interesting to see the guide!!! and it would be interesting to see if it act's like the hopper hey google tune to channel xxxx rewind one minute turn the lights down ect ect
It’s literally the same interface as a regular mini.

Well, those (myself) Included with a hr54 --are free to add an external wireless bridge. to any genie --the only reason would be if you wanted or needed a wireless 4k mini --Should anyone have a location they could not get a wire to.

That's why the invitation was extended to current HS-17 owners -NOT as a slight -because they didn't want to send additional equipment out and cause more service calls.

Reactions: comp9

I chatted with a DTV supervisor not sure how reliable they are with info compared with CSRs, but he said they are still working out bugs with the Gemini connecting to the HR-54/44.

Reactions: Jimbo
I wonder if it would run faster than the current Mini's because of it having a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram? Sometimes my c61k's guide doesn't display any info. Then I have to exit out of it the go back into it and it works. Also the guide scrolls a little slow.

I wonder if it would run faster than the current Mini's because of it having a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram? Sometimes my c61k's guide doesn't display any info. Then I have to exit out of it the go back into it and it works. Also the guide scrolls a little slow.
The Osprey does the same thing with DIRECTV stream