DTV gemini

talked to an installer today and he said there releasing a new genie. it's gonna have to google voice remotes and 10 tuners. i'll be on the lookout for this if it's true who knows!!! he called it the genie 2.5 but he was unsure of the name. if it's true he said it sould be out in june or july
Not holding my breath ...

Reactions: John2021

and how long has this BS been going on???

Not holding my breath ...
they way i see it that csr's and installers are like the goverment the only time there not lying is when there lips ain't moving :shh ;). i'm not gonna upgrade anything seeings how i have 3 months left in the contract. i'm just gonna ride the storm out...

Last edited:
You post a lot of these I heard from….. at both here and the other site (Krel), they never come true, CSRs and installers would be the ones furthest away from any new info.

The evidence shows that since they are losing so many subscribers , why should they put money into a dying service.

First off, if they were going to do that (build), they needed to start doing that 2 years ago, it is about a 4 year timeframe to a contract with a builder, design, build, launch a new satellite.

Their own words ( AT&T), when they announced they will never build/launch a new satellite, shows they know it will soon be the end.

TPG only owns 30% of the company, AT&T still owns 70%, why would TPG put that kind of money forward when they only are a minority owner.
i know there not going to put any money into it. they might as well sell it off as space junk and be done with it. i think that TGP want's to offload it and get there investment back and wash there hands of it!!!

I wonder if Ergen will just want to let Dish Network fade away by the time Dish's last satellite runs out of fuel in 2025 unless it runs a little bit longer than that and focus on 5g and Sling TV?

Reactions: John2021

There is no new news and the one link in that story is from a year ago.

Reactions: Nominal
I wonder if they would want to invest in something like maybe a DVR with Google TV that outputs to 4k over HDMI when they would want DTV customers to switch to DTV Stream? However, one advantage to DTV is you don't have to worry about the internet, your gateway going down.
How about an entirely new Genie, the Genie 3

But seeing where DIRECTV’s path for equipment is, it’s more likely gonna be based on the Genie 2 and not the Genie 1. If that’s the case, let’s just hope it fixes all the issues the Genie 2 had, and also puts in PiP. More tuners as well. But either way, you would still only be able to use the Genie Mini’s for viewing, but they could use the Gemini remote.

But there’s a chance it could be based on the Genie 1, but with more tuners, not require the need of a 4K mini for 4K (in other words, allow 4K to be output over HDMI), have Google TV built in, 2TB of storage, allow the use of HD-DVRs (like the HR54 and HR54R1), be compatible with Wireless receivers (requires the use of Wireless Video Bridge), and include the Gemini remote.

Last edited:
I hope it's true. I wonder if it will output to 4k over HDMI? Unless they stick with the headless server? They did awhile back talk about a future HS-27.

The last installer I talked to said they were going to launch another Satellite. LOL.
They’re only gonna make new equipment based on the Genie 2, right?

talked to an installer today and he said there releasing a new genie. it's gonna have to google voice remotes and 10 tuners. i'll be on the lookout for this if it's true who knows!!! he called it the genie 2.5 but he was unsure of the name. if it's true he said it sould be out in june or july
If it actually happens, let’s just hope they fix all the issues from the Genie 2 with this new Genie 2.5. Also, will it be based on the Genie 1, or the Genie 2? Will there be a one time fee if they order it?

If it actually happens, let’s just hope they fix all the issues from the Genie 2 with this new Genie 2.5. Also, will it be based on the Genie 1, or the Genie 2? Will there be a one time fee if they order it?
There is no plans or word about a new Genie

i never said it was going to happen. i think of the csr's of any company there only telling the truth when there lips ain't moving!! most don't know about the gemini boxes... we will know if anything comes out before they do. i know it won't happen since sat is a dying tech

i never said it was going to happen. i think of the csr's of any company there only telling the truth when there lips ain't moving!! most don't know about the gemini boxes... we will know if anything comes out before they do. i know it won't happen since sat is a dying tech
Sadly, it’s true. I think the Gemini might be the last new equipment DIRECTV will make. After that, no new equipment