DVR Fees - Will they continue forever?

Initially it was a cost recovery device to offset the fact that DVRs cost more than standard receivers but were leasing for the same price.

Now, it is probably a sin tax along with a little thrown in for customer support.
Or it is because you are running an additional tuner.

This was actually my wife's idea, to drop the Dish and go to OTA, not mine. Our adult son is the only other family member at home and he really isn't here that much so if he wants satellite he can pay for it (fat chance) Her rationale is we would probably watch less TV and do more of our hobbies etc that we just don't spend time on. In all honesty she usually is right about these things, it is me that is dragging my feet, however the "extra $120.00 a month" would look good in the budget!
Hell if worse comes to worse we can go back to dish after a year however since we will have OTA, only one box, probably a 211K (or equivalent) with an EHD, for the primary TV.

Ross

Forget the Tivo and just get one of the dtv pal OTA dvrs. dual tuners and no monthly subscription fee. If you are in an Onscreen area, then you will get free guide info via that otherwise it will show what your local stations broadcast via the psip data. Works great. I just grabbed one off ebay brand new for 189.00. Been using it for a week as a replacement for my older Sony HD DVR.

I didn't know this. Can I pat the enabling fee and use both tuners on the 222k? Would it basically work like a 722 letting me record two HD shows at the same time on the same TV?

You can swap between them, PIP (you wouldn't know what that is ;)) and keep watching one tuner while the other is recording something .
Funny...I know what PIP is and used it 20 years ago when it wasn't anything special then and still isn't...:D

How can it record if it is not a DVR?

I didn't know this. Can I pat the enabling fee and use both tuners on the 222k? Would it basically work like a 722 letting me record two HD shows at the same time on the same TV?

Anyone know if this inability is a business decision or a real hardware limitation?

I have wondered about this a long time............

Funny...I know what PIP is and used it 20 years ago when it wasn't anything special then and still isn't...:D

How can it record if it is not a DVR?

Uh, this thread is about DVR fees so I assumed that's what your question related to. Were you referring to a 222?

Anyone know if this inability is a business decision or a real hardware limitation?

I have wondered about this a long time............

It was reported some time ago that, because of the 222's dual tuner, the software platform would have to be totally different from the 211. I guess they thought it wasn't worth it since it would again be limited to one machine, but I just can't WAIT for your spin!

High End Users Being Targeted

I was very happy with Dish until this year. However, I feel like I got sucked in and than the rates changed drastically. With a 622 and 2 722s , my rates increased drastically. I can see why Dish is now loosing customers and I will likely change during the next year or 2 unless the rates are adjusted and Dish becomes competitive. It really seems that Dish finished making improvemets in our area (Atlanta DMA) about a year ago. We still do not have CW and PBS HD.

I think mostg of us are probably doing what I am doing: waiting and evaluating and seeing how things shake out during the next year. However, I suspect that many high end customers are considering switching.

Forget the Tivo and just get one of the dtv pal OTA dvrs. dual tuners and no monthly subscription fee. If you are in an Onscreen area, then you will get free guide info via that otherwise it will show what your local stations broadcast via the psip data. Works great. I just grabbed one off ebay brand new for 189.00. Been using it for a week as a replacement for my older Sony HD DVR.

Thanks I'll check it out!

Ross

The 222 receiver was supposed to be able to support the dvr function. Charlie even said it was coming in one of his chats about a year ago, but when I contacted dish about it, they claim there are no plans for an update. I got the 222 because it was cheaper than having 2 receivers. But now with the rate increases, I wish had gone with 2 211's, and have HD on my other T.V., and also have dvr functions with 2 more t.v's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts