Edision Mio Skin Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I've finally been able to access the internet via wifi, with my stb.
I downloaded a few Open Vix skins via webif to check for variety.
In downloading one then trying it out, I encountered a repeated rebooting issue.
How do I fix this issue ??
I'm enclosing a picture of the rebooting screen.
Thanks in advance.

John

skin.jpg

Have you got puTTy and filezilla?
Might can fix by init 4 (stop enigma) with puTTy
Then with filezilla download and edit the settings file in etc/enigm2
Look for config.skin line(s) in the settings file and remove the line(s).
puTTy init 3 (restart enigma).

Hi SDA_Fl_USA,

Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately I would have no idea how to go about doing what you suggested. I was thinking and hoping that maybe I could do a fresh reboot with OpenVix and start from scratch if necessary, reprogramming everything all over again if need be.
I hate to do it but if there is no other way other than what you suggested...
Still learning so much about this box.

John

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track reloading OpenVix from scratch to get rid of this rebooting ?
Also...why wouldn't this defective skin be removed from the list ?
Didn't anyone one else experience this rebooting issue with this skin ?
Thanks in advance.

John

Did you have other images in other slots?
You can use the blue recovery screen to boot another slot.
Power cycle or while the box is rebooting as soon as you see the Edision splash screen press menu button on the remote.

Reactions: JFOK
Hi SDA_Fl_USA,

I presently don’t have any other images in other slots. That was going to be my be my next “adventure” with this stb.
In the meantime, will reloading OpenVix solve my problem ?
Thanks for your response and stay well.

John

Yes, you will start with a fresh slate if you overwrite slot one with a new image and have no back-up folder on any attached drive.

Many skins are old builds, not well implemented or not updated regularly. You should report this error on the OpenVIX forum to alert other OpenVIX image users. Exploring skins can be quite risky and time consuming if you don't understand how to recover as was outlined above.

May I suggest that this would be a great time to transition away from using OpenVIX in Slot one and instead try the TNAP 3.2 image as the default? Much less chance of defective skins and plugins as the online TNAP updates are continually sorted and refined. El Bandido is doing a great job at coordinating the user tested files and maintaining the distribution.

Hi Brian,

Will try TNAP 3.2 as the default, but as you remember, I had TV resolution issues with it. Thanks to the stay at home advisory in my state, have a bit more free time to explore and experiment with my stb.
Thanks again and stay healthy.

John

Brian,

I just tried loading the current OpenVix image to start (which I had been running) and after booting, the screen goes to 100 for a second or two showing the OpenVix screen then backs down to 95 and returns to the rebooting screen from the defective skin.

John

Last edited:
You had previously tried installing the original TNAP v1 (modded SatDreamGR image). TNAP 3.2 is a completely different build and is now updated on-line.

Are you attempting to install a new image to slot one (emmc image with "force" file in folder) or rebooting to the currently installed image? To start fresh, install a new emmc image in slot one and don't have a back-up folder on any attached drive.

To perform a clean install in slot #1:

* Unzip and place an emmc image on top level of the USB thumb drive
* Open the folder
* Change the file "noforce" to "force"
* Unplug the OS Mio 4K
* Remove any other drives
* Insert the thumb drive
* Plug-in the OS Mio 4K
* After the update completes and the STB reboots, remove the thumb drive and configure the STB with the startup menu.

Delete the folder from the thumb drive to prevent accidental image overwrite.

Brian,

I was attempting to reload the current OpenVix image (which had been working well for me) using a usb thumb drive and rebooting to a fresh restart, wiping all satellite info off the stb. Essentially a factory reset which I did with this image 2 weeks ago.
Will follow your directions and update you.
Thanks !!!

John

Brian,

I followed your directions exactly while trying install TNAP 3.2 into my stb.
It booted up to 49 on the first try then the OpenVIX image appeared and the rebooting screen appeared.
I tried a second time and it booted to 100 then it backed down to 95 and that reboot screen appeared. :(

John

** UPDATE**
After deleting the TNAP 3.2 from the usb key and reloading it, I attempted another flash. This time it worked. Dont know what the issue was with the first installation, but all is well now and I'm setting up my stb using TNAP 3.2.
Thanks to Brian and SDA_Fl_USA, Your assistance was GREATLY appreciated.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
John, Did you download the USB.zip?
Seems the Mio4k didn't flash an image at all.
You will see a white screen come up saying something like software upgrade and the file name. After the flash finishes and reboots remove the thumb drive.

Steven D. A.

Reactions: KE4EST and JFOK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)