Edision Edision OS Mio 4k - Timeshifting? USB vs HDD

Psikic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 8, 2014
Conway, AR
How do I enable timeshifting? I'm thinking it is not working because it is seeing my 2TB external HDD I plugged in via USB as "USB" instead of as "HDD". I'm not supposed to open up the box and install an internal drive, am I? Is there a way to make the USB drive recognized as a HDD, or can timeshifting be enabled for a USB device?

How do I enable timeshifting? I'm thinking it is not working because it is seeing my 2TB external HDD I plugged in via USB as "USB" instead of as "HDD". I'm not supposed to open up the box and install an internal drive, am I? Is there a way to make the USB drive recognized as a HDD, or can timeshifting be enabled for a USB device?

Which image are you using? IIRC you have to go into the Setup menu and enable timeshift. After I did that, just pressing the pause key worked.

I'm using the Satdreamgr North American image. I can't find it in the menu. Do you remember where it was?

This will work for openPli 7and Satdreamgr 6 images.

Menu>Setup>System>Expert settings>Recording paths
Scroll down and highlight Timeshift location and click Ok
Blue button remove bookmark and yes really remove.
Red button cancel.
With Timeshift location highlighted press Ok.
List of storage devices highlghted click Ok.
Where to save temporary timeshift recordings? /madia/usb/
green button OK Timeshift location should now be /media/usb/ and green button save.

SDA is right, sorry I was taking a nap. All recording paths should be set to /media/usb/WHATEVER FOLDER NAME YOU WANT

I have multiple folders, one for TIMER RECORDINGS, one for SAVED recordings (more or less permanent keepers), the default MOVIES (that's where most images auto-save), and /media/usb/timeshift for timeshift. I also have one called: /media/usb/imagebackups.

You don't have to do all that, but it works for me, and the WebIF lets me choose 4 of those separately, so I sometimes get creative when I set recordings.

timers.jpg

Follow Brian's post above. You can then hide/restore any option by highlighting it, and pressing the Yellow key, Then save by pressing the Green key.

Then go into "Recording Paths" and set them as you please.

Reactions: Psikic
In the Expert Settings munu, press the Blue RCU button to display the hidden options. :)
That was it! The options were hidden. And apparently options under many other menus as well :). I find it strange such an important option to enable timeshifting was hidden, but I'm sure they had some reason...

That was it! The options were hidden. And apparently options under many other menus as well :). I find it strange such an important option to enable timeshifting was hidden, but I'm sure they had some reason...

I don't think any of these menus are hidden in the other images. I use OpenVIX almost exclusively.

Well, some things probably should be hidden for some newbies on this starter image. I know even I've gotten into trouble with some settings, without meaning to. However, I learned how to get into nearly EVERYTHING, even things I probably shouldn't. Yep, it's caused me some grief, but I've sure been learning! LOL

I can't remember for sure if that setting was hidden for me on the Final image, as I've now had two different RC versions of NA SatDreamGr to help them tweak things as a beta tester, the 'Final' image (loaded twice as I corrupted it once by playing), and even one of the originals from the European SatDreamGr forum.

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem. I got my OS Mio 4K+ about 2 years ago and am finally getting around to setting it up for recording and time shifting.

I'm using TNAP. 4.0. I have hooked up a 1 TB drive to the USB port. I initialized the hard drive using the setup menu.

But when I press the pause button it puts up the "hand" icon which means that it didn't accept my keypress.

How do I setup time shifting?

Never mind, I did some searching and found the answer. I had to change the the path from media/hdd to media/usb.
Pardon my ignorance, but I have another question. Does the OS Mio accept an internally mounted SATA drive? Or are we limited to external USB drives?

I could answer my own question by opening it up and looking inside, but its easier just to ask. :)

Pardon my ignorance, but I have another question. Does the OS Mio accept an internally mounted SATA drive? Or are we limited to external USB drives?

I could answer my own question by opening it up and looking inside, but its easier just to ask. :)

I can't say for sure as I have never opened mine either but all the documentation and reviews I have seen have never mentioned internal drive capability so I'm guessing no. Hopefully someone will confirm.

I'm using TNAP and for some strange reason my timeshift path reverted back to media/hdd (and now it doesn't timeshift).

I can get to the "Recording Paths" menu, but I have no way to type in the timeshift location and change it to "media/usb" using the remote control. I forgot how I did this in post #16 a month ago?

When I select "Timeshift Location" which buttons do I press to change it to "media/usb'?

Also, how do I initialize the hard drive? I can't find it in the menus.

Last edited: