Edision Edision OS MIO+ cannot install new image

Doorguru

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Florida
I would like to apologize in advance for my terminology, I am a little new to this.

I have had this unit over a year purchased new from a forum member/vendor. Back then I loaded images from the usb drive with no problems. . My TV was kind of obsolete, so I put my Edison os mio aside. I finally purchased a smart tv a few weeks ago so I connected it up. Then I made a big mistake. The images I had were outdated so I deleted the oldest ones and uploaded another (The Evolution opendroid) I tried to boot to it but it froze at the home sceen. I checked my multiboot menu and only had Openvix 5.3 Rel 013 in slot 2. I booted to it and it seemed to work. I then put an image on my flash drive and rebooted, but it ignored the flash drive and went back to Openvix 5.3. It didn't let me do a software update. It stated that the Kernel had changed and an update was not possible. I rebooted and hit menu, showing the four kernels. I tried each one and three of them froze at various stages, only slot two would work and bring me back to Openvx 5.3. I followed the instructions I found for the proper set up of my flash drive with no luck. The flash drive is ignored during boot up. I checked the flash dive with the Edison utility and it mentioned an un-recognizable file system and would want to format the drive. While using Openvix 5.3 I tried a couple of the boot apps with no luck.

Is there anything else I can try to get an updated image installed?

Thanks! That's probably the only thing I didn't try! It did the trick.

I'm still wondering why I still cannot flash with my USB stick.

I formatted it FAT32, but my receiver rejects it stating the file system is VFAT.

I wouldn't worry about flashing with the usb for now your mio is working. use the flash online method again and put Openpli 8-release or develope in another slot.

Reactions: Doorguru
I wouldn't worry about flashing with the usb for now your mio is working. use the flash online method again and put Openpli 8-release or develope in another slot.
I agree with this. As some of us have found out, ALWAYS have at least one other good image in another slot, in case the receiver fails to boot one day due to a bad image. Personally, I have images in all slots, and also keep interim and full backups for my main TNAP image.

Reactions: Doorguru
Thank for all the good info guys. I am back on track.
Could be there's something wrong with it now, and they are very cheap now for buying a new one. Anyway, I'd let the receiver itself re-format it, then you can put an image on it, and try again if you'd like.
I have tried that, but after the receiver formats it and I plug the USB drive back into my computer to load files, it states that it cannot be used until it is reformatted. I do a fast format (FAT32), but when I put it back into my receiver it mentions VFAT and is rejected.

Might try another disk program on your flash drive. Try AOMEI partition assistant free edition from diskpart DOT com. I use that sometimes.

Might try another disk program on your flash drive. Try AOMEI partition assistant free edition from diskpart DOT com. I use that sometimes.
Thanks, I will give it a try. Although I have tried different USB sticks, I will purchase a new one next chance I get.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Although I have tried different USB sticks, I will purchase a new one next chance I get.
When you put a usb stick formatted with the computer in the mio do you see on the TV screen no displayable files on this medium found? That would be the normal operation.

Yes that is what happens. I thought it would see the flash drive during boot up and let me choose an image. I guess this thinking is wrong.

I have found that If I use the right image, it will let me see my USB drive and flash it from within the image. Some images do not have this feature. I am trying to find some new images with not only that feature, but also a "manage images" so I can delete the ones I do not like.

Yes that is what happens. I thought it would see the flash drive during boot up and let me choose an image. I guess this thinking is wrong.

I have found that If I use the right image, it will let me see my USB drive and flash it from within the image. Some images do not have this feature. I am trying to find some new images with not only that feature, but also a "manage images" so I can delete the ones I do not like.
Ok If you still using Openvix do this. once you put the stick in and see the no displayable files screen leave the stick in and reboot the Mio. After the Mio boots pull the stick and put in the computer create a folder on the stick named imagebackups and that will be the folder to Place the multiboot images. You need to leave the multiboot images zipped or compressed. To flash put the stick back in the Mio (might need to reboot again)and go to menu> setup> vix> image manager and you should see the multiboot images listed.Click on the image you want to flash and it will show slots 1 to 4. Click the empty or slot you want but not the slot currently in use. After flash the Mio will reboot to that slot.

Ok If you still using Openvix do this. once you put the stick in and see the no displayable files screen leave the stick in and reboot the Mio. After the Mio boots pull the stick and put in the computer create a folder on the stick named imagebackups and that will be the folder to Place the multiboot images. You need to leave the multiboot images zipped or compressed. To flash put the stick back in the Mio (might need to reboot again)and go to menu> setup> vix> image manager and you should see the multiboot images listed.Click on the image you want to flash and it will show slots 1 to 4. Click the empty or slot you want but not the slot currently in use. After flash the Mio will reboot to that slot.
Thanks again!

Here are all the images I can find. Are there any of these I should not use? Are some better than the others?

Images2.JPG

I found an old thread of mine in which you helped me with the same problem a year and a half ago. :oops:

Usually the file without multiboot prefix can still be flashed multiboot.To do multiboot leave the file zipped and use the flash image menu.The zipped file needs to be in a folder named downloaded_images. There is two ways to flash 1 multiboot and 2 emmc.If you flash emmc you will overwrite slot 1. Emmc flash is where you unzip the non multiboot prefix file on to a flash drive and flash with a power cycle.

The only images I have are in slots 1 & 2. Two different versions of openatv. I followed your instructions with no success. Of course there is no vix in openatv only "display local plugins" and "flash online" (ATV only) which won't help.
Openatv flashing the folder on the flash drive needs to be named images. Use flash online in software management. Probably see the images on the flash drive in Fullbackup images or downloaded images after you click flash online. Been awhile I think that is how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)