Effective June 3, 2010, DISH Network will change pricing on select services.

I have Turbo bronze. A good question is, what is happening to palladia and hd theater for us? We know they aren't adding new channels to our packages and its got nothing to do with carrying sd channels with no hd counterpart (like fox's claims) or we'd get Hallmark and TCM in turbosilver, just to start. We can't even add platinum to these packages which is bunk. What a crock. A good question is can i subscribe now to get top 120 plus HD & plat, then drop the platinum when June 3rd rolls around so it is truly $4 more w/o a crazy new commitment?

Sponsored Links​

So if I switch to AT120 plus HD plat now, then get grandfathered in, can I drop the platinum and still have freee hd w/o the $99 fee, 2 yr commitment or anything other than the $5 downgrade fee that month?

Thank you. It looks to me like my bill will be going up $19, though. $2 250 increase, $2 premiums, $10 end of credit, and $5 for locals. I don't pay for locals today, I have a nice OTA setup. But it looks like since locals are available, I'll soon have to accept them- and pay for them.

All the same, you put it in perspective well.

so the end of a 10.00 credit that dish had no obligation to offer you at all is considered to be a price increase? this is why they are ending all their discounts for existing customers. you simply cant just be thankful you got 10 bucks off for x amount of months. instead you will just moan when it ends.

Bob,

I always enjoy your rantings. I find it very curious that you call Charlie greedy and yet are willing to charge $100/hr for your time. Maybe you need to look in the mirror.

well that includes travel within about a 75 mile radius, gasoline is a killer.

plus I am the lowest price service available:)

GBC 295 bucks a hour everyone else about 160 bucks a hour, many also add for travel.

One company is 80 bucks a hour porthole to porthole. Which makes them more than me....

Bob Haller:

Perhaps, considering your competitors actions, you should consider raising your rates. If you're too much lower than them, you might lose credibility. I presume you charge a set amount for travel time, and do not have a fuel surcharge. Customers gotta wonder why the large price difference.

Sorry about the off topic. We almost all do it now and again.

100 bucks a hour no travel charge within about 60 miles of pittsburgh

Yeah in a different economy I could raise my prices. I keep service calls cheap to snag new customers:)

Who I give a FREE YEARS MAINTENCE agreement.....

Covers everything but serious customer abuse...

The schools are hurting right now.... were better off than other parts of the country.

Since EVERYONE CALLS the week school opens:( IMPOSSIBLE 6 years ago I got 70 calls in 3 days:( all demanding instant service:(

I gave serious thought to closing it was way too much stress:(

I moved to a maintence model, servicing machines all year long, can take care of far more, service machines regionally, less driving around ,busy all summer.

4 machines is usually a grand:)

A nice dependable workload and income stream:) Gets me EXCELLENT referals, sold 4 machines last week:) based on referals:) My head swelled they said so much nice things:)

I never wanted to get rich, fell into having my own business when the company I worked for folded in 1984, I bought what was left of the department.

At 53 years old, and having started in 1975 I will likely do this till I die or physically cant anymore.....

I actually service the majority of districts in the area.

If anoyone wants to talk futher I invite a mod to move this group of OT to chit chat or wherever.

perhaps my knowledge could be of use to others who may have lost a job. With a good mechanical aptitude and right attitude you can make a living doing what I do.

just please not in my area:)

I helped get a friend started in charlotte, he is going great guns and is very happy. I trained him and we help one another out on phone

Whenb customers complain I am too exensive I invite them to shop around and tell them if you find someone cheaper let me know who they are, maybe I will just hire them and I wouldnt have to do any work....

Last edited:
My opinon on the price increase is that the customers of DN are now going to start paying for all expenes of the Tivo lawsuit. Charlie does'nt have the guts to tell his customers the raise is for the money to pay Tivo and his big shot lawyers because he knows that alot of his customers will cancel service in a heartbeat and it could destroy DN. Stand up Charlie and face the facts.

Top 120 and AEP are holding at their present price. Any new customer that signs up for HD/platinum BEFORE June 3 will be grandfathered after June 3 and not be required to bill CCAP or pay $99 or Sign 2 yr contract to qualify for Free HD for Life. Same applies to existing customers. After June 3 if a existing customer wishes to drop Platinum, they simply downgrade to the HD channels according to the basic pack and save $10. There will be a one time $5 down grade fee. Seldom, I recall, does it pay to become a new customer before the next quarter promotions start.

My opinon on the price increase is that the customers of DN are now going to start paying for all expenes of the Tivo lawsuit. Charlie does'nt have the guts to tell his customers the raise is for the money to pay Tivo and his big shot lawyers because he knows that alot of his customers will cancel service in a heartbeat and it could destroy DN. Stand up Charlie and face the facts.

everyone is entitled to an opinion...

top 120 and AEP staying the same?

geez if this latest round of price hikes doesnt cause too much churn in 3 months they can be the next target:(

my bill has actually gone down, having dropped AEP, dropped a mostly unused receiver, and didnt keep the free hbo or whatever they gave me for 3 months.

but i am no longer getting my moneys worth

This is ridiculous. In Feb they hit me with a $12 increase, then they hit me with a $2 increase in June. I'm not going to take this any longer, now they are not even the same price as DirecTV, they are more expensive for me.

time to switch!!! this is extortion

what is up with the price change? is it the programming providers demanding an increase or Dish Network are being "dummies" increasing-increasing?

for skylink tv, they just deduct the price two months ago from 5.99 to 4.99 and now, an increase..... my friend will get very upset.

asian tv stations are control by the US distribution companies who owns one big station/company and control/open other different tv stations and sub stations. under different name, company, provider, but the big big boss is controlling the stations. i suspect they are the ones who are demanding an increase when their tv business is successful while their programming distribution is going downhill (ie: dvd rental, sales). same thing with direct tv, big increase.

Last edited:
whoopededoo. i went up two bucks. i only have one 722. so february only increased my bill by 1.00 dollar. now im going up 2 more. feb2009 my increase was way more then 3.00, and it hit at one time. at least now i skated 5 months with only a 1.00 increase.

i think its great that all the subs with a buttload of extra recievers got hit so hard. i would rather the price increase be on those who require all the cost of the extra equipment. many customers who only have a 322 or only a solo rec and t120 will have no price increase at all this year as well.

Good for you too. May Charlie hit you harder in your arse next year then I can say whooopie-de-da-do to you. :D

even if he does hit me harder, it will probably hit people with multiple recievers just as hard or harder. and it will still probably be cheaper then the compitition for me.

so the end of a 10.00 credit that dish had no obligation to offer you at all is considered to be a price increase? this is why they are ending all their discounts for existing customers. you simply cant just be thankful you got 10 bucks off for x amount of months. instead you will just moan when it ends.

Read what I wrote. I said my bill is going up $19, not that it was a price increase. And remember, that $10 off was part of a price increase earlier this year, we got a partial reprieve as current customers. The $10 was expected. The other $9 was not. And I only have 2 receivers, feeding two HDTVs, down from 3 receivers.

No matter how you cut it, it is two price increases in one year. And now I and others must consider their options. I am a pretty good Dish supporter. I just must look at what Fios would cost me and see if Dish is really worth the difference. Before this last bit of pricing news, I never seriously looked at anybody else. But in today's economy, and my son back home now with cancer, I have become more sensitive to my costs. I grant Dish and their equipment is better; it's just a matter of, now, are they worth that much more.

it costs more to start up a sub who gets multi receivers...
Not all of them. I own my 722's outright, always have. I can understand a modest administrative fee -- like the old $5 -- for keeping the 2nd unit authorized, but there's little justification for the $17 for owned units.

Everyone has a threshold they'll tolerate. A lot of us particularly like the ViP DVR's and can rationalize paying a bit to use one, but eventually, as others have pointed out, it just isn't going to be worth it anymore. They're making it harder and harder to stay aboard.

Well, business is business. They won't care much if I leave I guess.

that's some serious sticker shock for those international channels. Some of which are rising to $19.99 per month for one channel in SD quality. Dish is lucky to have exclusivity on a lot of international channels. They're able to keep a lot of customers who absolutely hate paying that much.

Considering that AEP has gone up in price by a higher percentage than all the other package for years and that just this February the DVR fee was rolled out of the package basically meaning a $6 price increase on top of the other fee increases, it's about time AEP customers caught just a little break by not having the rate go up another $4 or more. This is of course assuming that AEP will indeed have no price increase this go-round.

that's some serious sticker shock for those international channels. Some of which are rising to $19.99 per month for one channel in SD quality. Dish is lucky to have exclusivity on a lot of international channels. They're able to keep a lot of customers who absolutely hate paying that much.

Depends on which international channel and the number of other providers carrying the channel.

For example, TV Japan is under Dish Network and cable. Either go cable or Dish.
Same thing with other international stations, there are more providers.

There are other sat providers having the same international channels costing a cheaper price. Except, different provider, 2 receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)