EMP Centauri 8 x 1 (GOTO nn switch)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keith Brannen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Southwestern Ontario
For background information, when I first got into this so-called hobby back in May of 2006, I bought universal LNBs at first, not knowing (or even imagining) that in about six months time I'd have three dishes and eight LNBs. As I needed more space on my DiSEqC switch, I'd replace a universal LNB with two standard LNBs and a 22KHz switch. Recently, I replaced a standard LNB with a circular LNB to get GOLTV. So, I ended up with three "retired" universal LNBs, and one "retired" standard LNB.

After doing some research looking at the possibility of adding these LNBs back into the mix (including Labgate's website), I decided to get an EMP Centauri GOTO nn S.168 8 x 1 switch and bought one for $31.99 (Canadian) plus shipping. (NOTE: If you are thinking of getting one of these switches, shop around, as I have seen it range (in Canada) from $31.99 up to $140.00!!!)

Basically, the switch can use DiSEqC 1.1 (committed/uncommitted settings) or DiSEqC 1.2 where it emulates a motor positioner for each of its eight ports (the GOTO nn reference). With my Pansat 3500SD, I had to use DiSEqC 1.2 and pretend to have a motor. In the instructions that came with the switch it said to continuously hold the button for motor rotation until the signal quality came in, but this did not work with my Pansat. What I found was that small "movements", then a short second or two wait (not unlike moving a dish) was the only way to get the signal to come in, and once it was in, if you continued to move it you could lose the signal quality with only a couple of moves. I did notice that when getting close to the correct position the signal level (yes, level) increased slightly, and if you went past it the signal level decreased slightly and eventually dropped to 20%.

Once a signal came in, I saved that as a reference, and then for the LNB that was on the same 22KHz switch, went to that reference and the signal would appear. Then I went to the next LNB/port, and did the same (saving as a new reference each port).

I only had time to mount two of the "retired" LNBs (it was cold, windy, and threatening snow) and still need to peak both and add the other two (when the weather is a bit better, but hopefully sometime this week). Anyhow, I now have 10 LNBs running into my system!

Switching between channels/satellites is no different than when I was using the standard DiSEqC 4 x 1 switch, it is just as fast, though occasionally it displays a "setting positioner!" information bar for a split second.

The only drawback (and a fairly important one) is that you must already have a signal from the satellite you want to add. The easy workaround for this was to use one of the LNBs (or its coax) already in the system to setup the new LNB.

As well, before I began to add any of the LNBs I made sure that the transponder I used to get the signal was unique to that satellite (otherwise it may find the wrong one first). For example, for the two circular LNBs I used a transponder that was not active (for me) on the other one, so for Echostar 7 I used 12268 H 20000, and for Echostar 8 I used 12223 V 20000.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the switch, and since I have not found any posts or websites anywhere (and I searched extensively) detailing how anyone set up their switch, or their experience with it, I thought I'd post my two cents.

Last edited:
I saw these switches at last years Satellite Expo and was very impressed with what I saw. These are not cheep switches and you can tell that just by their look and feel.

Thanks Keith, nice Review. I may need to get one of these and try using the committed/uncommitted for my T90, and see if I can get more (like another 8) than 8 dual lnbf's to work?

Al

thats what I was thinking Al

I can do 8 right now but actually have 10 LNB's set up (72V and 103H on one side of a 4x4 multiswitch and G10V & G4H on the other) but would like to add 87 & 101 to it.

As you can see in the sig, the 8000 doesnt get 72, 74 or 103. WOuld like to get those on the 8000 too :)

I ended up buying one so we'll have to see how it works with a combination of LNB's and 4x4 multiswitches :)

Iceberg

Let me know your opinion about it once you try it Sadoun will be happy to sell it to our good satellite fans here if this product is of high quality, reliable, and has good price. :D

Hello all

Nice review

Sorry to come in so late.

Yes the switchs works perfectly. I use it in committed/uncommitted combination with My Theatre.

Also I use it with diseqc protocol 1.2 on my fta receiver.
What is interesting also is that it will let you pass 22khz through.

So you could in fact get 16 lnbs this way.

What I did is I placed an ecoda 22kzh switch and after that I placed two of those emp centauri switches.

This works perfectly.

In fact here is a pdf showing what you can do.
go to hxxp://www.labgate.info/graphs.htm
of course replace the xx with tt

You can see :
16 lnbs with 8 22khz regular switches.
and
16 lnbs with 1 ecoda 22khz switch.

I have yet to find a dvb receiver that supports a combination of committed and uncommitted switches unfortunately. But diseqc 1.2 is not so bad it acts as a motor.

And Sadoun you should definitively sell those switches. I have 3 I bought in Poland last year.

even now it is less expensive from Poland that most sites in Canada...

Labgate

Last edited:
Labgate,

I want to thank you for your website and the diagrams of the various settings, as yours was the only website that I found (and I looked extensively) that showed it was possible to get up to 16 LNBs on this type of switch. Of course, since the switch is European and their use of universal LNBs, any European sites only mentioned up to eight.

Currently, I have 12 LNBs on the switch (2 circular, 7 linear, and 3 universal) and use 4 22KHz switches.

Labgate,

I want to thank you for your website and the diagrams of the various settings, as yours was the only website that I found (and I looked extensively) that showed it was possible to get up to 16 LNBs on this type of switch. Of course, since the switch is European and their use of universal LNBs, any European sites only mentioned up to eight.

Currently, I have 12 LNBs on the switch (2 circular, 7 linear, and 3 universal) and use 4 22KHz switches.

Oh Man Labgate! You are the Man!!!! Wait till I show this to the wife. She won't think I'm quite so crazy. :)

Ordered one of these 8x1 switches just to see the look on her face when I tell her what its for. Hahaha tehehehe!

Thanks guys

By the way I confirm that this switch is great.
However there are two variations I see. I got some that doesn't use a combination of uncommitted and committed but have 8 uncommitted ports.

What's fun about that : you can put some regular diseqc 4 ports (committed) behind this and get many lnbs

In fact here is what is my current experiment. Up to now it works with a coolsat 6000 and MyTheatre, in fact you need a received that allows you to select a combination of committed or uncommitted at the same time.

But if you don't, you can find a receiver supporting diseqc 1.1 and get 8 lnbs or adding an ecoda 22khz switch and go to 16.

I bought 6 of those babies to test.

I should put the results of the tests this weekend in my site.

Have fun and please don't laugh at me, I know I cannot see 64 sats, but it is fun playing.

And Mr Sadoun you should sell those switches. I paid 40 can $ for each.

Best regards

Labgate

Attachments

• 64 sats on one receiver.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 718
Have fun and please don't laugh at me, I know I cannot see 64 sats, but it is fun playing.

Certainly not laughing here, experimenting is the only way to discover what will or will not work. If you hadn't experimented with these 8 x 1 switches and shown that at least 16 LNBs were possible, I'd have four LNBs gathering dust, and have four less satellites to scan!

I installed one of these switches today - hooked up 4 ports. Took a bit to figure out the DisEqc 1.2 move and save on my Ultra. Works great once set up.
Bob

Great

The two receivers that are the easier to configure (hat I know of) with this switch is the coolsat 6000 and the extreme view. They support diseqc 1.1

Labgate

I have mine hooked up but dont have the box set up for it yet :)

I've got a few more than 8 LNB's on it...72,74,79,83,85,87,91,93,97,101,103,119 (audio), 123, 99 C-Band, 103 C-band

with a few 4x4 multiswitches and 22k switches we have 15 LNB on it.

72V/103H/74 on a multiswitch
79/85 (multiswitch)
91/93 (multiswitch)
97/123 (multiswitch)
83/87 (22k switch)
99 C-Band/103 C-band (22k switch)

Now to get the receiver set up. I'll probably use the Coolsat 5000 since its easy to set up for the 8x1 switch :)

Hello Iceberg

Does the coolsat 5000 supports diseqc 1.1 ?

This would be interesting. I know the 6000 does, it even supports a combination of committed and uncommitted switches.

I wonder if the 8000 does.

Labgate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)