Encoding, encryption, encapsulation: enigmatic enquiries enclosed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intuity

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I posted some time ago about the dish I was given - and have since completed its move and re-installation, and have found myself understanding very little, and knowing even less about this whole deal, so maybe someone can shed some light on a few pointed questions.

Looking at Lyngsat's tables, it seems to me that there are two major encryption systems in use - PowerVu and Digicipher; two types of transport encapsulation. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4; and two types of encoding, DVB-S, and DVB-S2, with some NTSC thrown in and HD variants of both types of DVB. Am I correct in my understanding of this arrangement?

So, I have been looking for a new receiver to replace the Monterey that I had, since it was DOA from my dad's garage, and I am absolutely paralyzed by how this all fits together. Searching for PowerVu or Digicipher on eBay leads me to thousands of commercial receivers, mostly head-end specific models with features like ASI output, SDI video stream multiplexing, et cetera, et cetera. My understanding is that commercial IRD hardware is generally single-program, not really any flexibility in changing programming sources, and thus wholly unsuited for my individual, residential, sky-scanning uses.

Searching for DVB and DVB-S2, FTA, et cetera on eBay, I am inundated with thousands of listings for what I can only assume to be cheap, Chinese-made, burning piles of hacked-up firmware and cloned hardware jammed into a crappy enclosure that will either secretly seize control of my dish to further the nuclear aims of North Korea when I'm not looking, or will frustrate me into a neo-Luddite frenzy of technology destruction.

Adding yet another dimension of complexity to this is the fact that each of those factors is multiplied by two, for C-band, and Ku-band transponders evidently live happily together on many of these sky-bound maelstroms of confusion.

So, in short - is it really either go with the Coolsat/Derpsat/Hacktigator receiver junk,and the issues that go with it, or is there a better way? Another Monterey, looped out to a chain of decoders?

Help!

I posted some time ago about the dish I was given - and have since completed its move and re-installation, and have found myself understanding very little, and knowing even less about this whole deal, so maybe someone can shed some light on a few pointed questions.

Looking at Lyngsat's tables, it seems to me that there are two major encryption systems in use - PowerVu and Digicipher; two types of transport encapsulation. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4; and two types of encoding, DVB-S, and DVB-S2, with some NTSC thrown in and HD variants of both types of DVB. Am I correct in my understanding of this arrangement?

So, I have been looking for a new receiver to replace the Monterey that I had, since it was DOA from my dad's garage, and I am absolutely paralyzed by how this all fits together. Searching for PowerVu or Digicipher on eBay leads me to thousands of commercial receivers, mostly head-end specific models with features like ASI output, SDI video stream multiplexing, et cetera, et cetera. My understanding is that commercial IRD hardware is generally single-program, not really any flexibility in changing programming sources, and thus wholly unsuited for my individual, residential, sky-scanning uses.

Searching for DVB and DVB-S2, FTA, et cetera on eBay, I am inundated with thousands of listings for what I can only assume to be cheap, Chinese-made, burning piles of hacked-up firmware and cloned hardware jammed into a crappy enclosure that will either secretly seize control of my dish to further the nuclear aims of North Korea when I'm not looking, or will frustrate me into a neo-Luddite frenzy of technology destruction.

Adding yet another dimension of complexity to this is the fact that each of those factors is multiplied by two, for C-band, and Ku-band transponders evidently live happily together on many of these sky-bound maelstroms of confusion.

So, in short - is it really either go with the Coolsat/Derpsat/Hacktigator receiver junk,and the issues that go with it, or is there a better way? Another Monterey, looped out to a chain of decoders?

Help!
First of all, most of what's there that's encrypted you're not going to get unless you have a corporate relationship with its provider, i.e. you are a TV station or cable company. So you're only concerned with the free stuff.

Every receiver I have ever seen that supported DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 which you need for newer content including HD, also included the older DVB-S and MPEG-2. And I am pretty sure they all support both C and Ku, that mostly depends on the size of your dish and which LNBFs you choose.

The best I have personally owned is the microHD, not sure if those are still available anywhere.

While I understand your point as it pertains to the encrypted streams, are there any surviving programming providers? I guess when Moto shut down 4DTV a while back that was it, huh?

Reactions: DVB-S2
... I must apologize - I have committed a grave, grave error, and failed to properly search before asking what now appears to me to be a wholly vapid question - upon further searching, I have educated myself further about the finer points of the decline of 4DTV, C-band programming providers, Ranier, and in general, have had a bit of clarity and scope added to this endeavor...

My childhood memories of the halcyon days of satellite dishes the size of swimming pools that brought nose-picking reporters, scantily clad Scandanavian women, and hours of amusement watching the motion of the dish.are just that, memories.

Help!
... I must apologize - I have committed a grave, grave error, and failed to properly search before asking what now appears to me to be a wholly vapid question - upon further searching, I have educated myself further about the finer points of the decline of 4DTV, C-band programming providers, Ranier, and in general, have had a bit of clarity and scope added to this endeavor...

My childhood memories of the halcyon days of satellite dishes the size of swimming pools that brought nose-picking reporters, scantily clad Scandanavian women, and hours of amusement watching the motion of the dish.are just that, memories.
Yes, sadly, as your research shows there are no more subscription services for c band and you should definitely stay clear of many of the questionable receivers you found as they can be used by the eye patch crowd. There are still many great channels available on c band (and ku) that are in the clear. You can even still find nose-picking reporters, etc on the wild feeds. :D As far as a quality receiver & mover you might try an Amiko Mini HD RE receiver (KE4EST has a contest right now giving one away) and an ASC1 mover from Titanium. I'll list some reputable satellite equipment sellers below. Good luck!

Store - Michael Electronics  Satellite Dish Accessories (KE4EST on Satellite Guys)
Titanium Satellite - Store (Titanium on Satellite Guys - Use code SATGUYS SAVE for 15% off)
Free To Air, FTA Satellite TV Equipment, Sonicview, Viewsat, Openbox Receivers, Switches and LNBs from Hypermegasat.com

Reactions: Lee60
When I closed down my 30 year C-Band/Dish/DirecTV business, I left my old BUD dish in place. Glad I did. So many of my old customers trashed their systems, leaving them tied to subscription services on the two small dish knights fighting over customers like two kids fighting over a candy bar. With all the commercials these days, I resorted to NetFlix to get away from them.

Then I found FTA. Still got commercials, but at least I'm not paying for the privilege of watching them. Both small dish providers offer a package jammed with junk channels that most people don't watch, but pay for, and they are there to enhance their channel package, making most people think they're getting something they're not. On FTA, I get everything I want to watch, wife included, and I'll ride out the storm even if we lose a channel here and there.

I really fired up my old dish in order to get 1 channel, and everything else is a bonus. We have more channels than we care to watch. Even after 30 years in the business, it was still a learning experience for me. Never dealt with FTA until recently, and never realized there are more channels up there for the watching than listed on Lyngsat and the others. Stick with the guys in here and they'll keep you on the right track. Great bunch of people in here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.