Espn Is Here!!! (Official: 7 ESPN Channels added )

The ESPN announcement IS on their website now.... right on the home page.
It says 5 not 7 channels added, though. :p

lsh1885 said:
Channels 304 and 308 maybe the alternate channels (back-up programming for blackouts) for ESPN and ESPN2.

I am sure you are correct. Alternate programming. Two baseball games instead of 1 for those blacked out. Dish and Direct carry two alternates as well. :D

There is some speculation, specifically at soccertv.com, that as ESPN Desportes is added to satellite systems the Champions' League matches will no longer be shown on ESPN 2. That's not going to be a problem this year. Next year, though, is another story.

VewDew said:
ESPN2 carries CL games also. Maybe not as many but there is a game on tues and weds

No News From Voom

Why we can't get any news from VOOM? I had to come accross this thread to find out I had ESPN....5 channels no less!

Is it so hard for them to send a mass email to customers? That's one problem I have with VOOM! :shocked

kirkdj said:
Why we can't get any news from VOOM? I had to come accross this thread to find out I had ESPN....5 channels no less!

Is it so hard for them to send a mass email to customers? That's one problem I have with VOOM! :shocked
Now it is officially announced at the VOOM web site.

Since I got my DLP and LCD, ESPN News has always been the worst looking channel on E*. I was comparing last night to VOOM and in my opinion, it looks better on V*. On Dish, I can see the compression artifacts specially in the bottom bar. On V*, they are there but is not easy to see them. Now I can watch ESPN News for first time. How does it look on D* vs V*? Any other opinions on E* vs V* on this specific channel.

Program guide is up on ESPN now

The program guide is officially up for the espn channels now. Happy sports.

Voom ESPNHD

I'm not reciving ESPNHD in a hd format, and there customer support team does not have a clue about whats going on. They told me to leave my reciver in standby over night and hope it fixes its self. and onother person said ESPN was not brodcasting in HD on ESPNHD anyone else having this problem.

There is no HD on ESPN-HD today. The next high-definition broadcasts from ESPN are this Sunday:

Stanley Cup Playoffs (4-6:30pm EST)
Sunday Night Baseball (8-11pm EST)

Refer to the ESPN-HD schedule for future events. If it's not on that list, it's not available in HD. Note SportsCenter will go HD the first week of June, and other studio shows will follow next year.

Keep in mind that ESPN isn't a channel like HBO, where you can turn on the TV at any random time to find some HDTV. ESPN only does a handful of major sporting events every week, and many/most of those are in HDTV (Sunday Night Baseball, Wednesday Night baseball, Monday Night Football, later rounds of NBA and NHL playoffs, etc). The rest of the time, ESPN just offers filler content, much of which will probably not be in HD for a long time.

mj,

ESPN-HD doesn't offer HDTV 24/7. There is no HD on ESPN-HD today. The next high-definition broadcasts from ESPN are this Sunday:

Stanley Cup Playoffs (4-6:30pm EST)
Sunday Night Baseball (8-11pm EST)

Refer to the ESPN-HD schedule for future events in high-definition. If it's not on that list, it's not available in HD. ESPN-HD stretches their SD programming to fill the screen -- that's what you are seeing now. Note SportsCenter will go HD the first week of June, and other studio shows will follow next year.

Keep in mind that ESPN isn't a channel like HBO, where you can turn on the TV at any random time to find some HDTV. ESPN only does a handful of major sporting events every week, and many/most of those are in HDTV (Sunday Night Baseball, Wednesday Night baseball, Sunday Night Football, later rounds of NBA and NHL playoffs, etc). By this time next year, virtually every professional sporting event on ESPN-HD should be offered in HD. The rest of the time, ESPN just offers filler content, much of which will probably not be in HD for a long time.

Update: Fixed typo - changed MNF to SNF.

ESPN HD in my opinion a waste of money. They hardly show any programming in HD anyway. However, when they do broadcast it, it is wonderful! When did you try to watch ESPN-HD? Was there a scheduled game on that was being broadcasted in HD? Go here to view what HD they will be broadcasting. If it's not on this list, then it's not being broadcasted in HD, only SD. Hope this helps. You can bet that every Sunday night and Tuesday night there will be baseball in HD. Not bad, I just can't wait till the new HD uplink facility is completed in June. Have a good day.

ESPN HD Weekly Listings....

Ken F said:
ESPN only does a handful of major sporting events every week, and many/most of those are in HDTV (Sunday Night Baseball, Wednesday Night baseball, Monday Night Football, later rounds of NBA and NHL playoffs, etc). By this time next year, virtually every professional sporting event on ESPN-HD should be offered in HD. The rest of the time, ESPN just offers filler content, much of which will probably not be in HD for a long time.
Monday night football? I dont think so.

I often wonder why they even go on the air when they have no HD that day. they went live friday on voom, but no HD until sunday.

Last Nite Espn On Comcast,dish And Voom Were All Messed Up. As Soon As The Picture Showed Some Movement-action Wahtever, Blurriness All Over The Place. Close-ups And Static Shots Seemed Hi Def Almost. I Couldnt Tell If The Game Was In Hidef Or Was The Worst Picture I Had Ever Seen---again Not Just Voom --all Providers-does Anyone Concur?????.

The thing that has always worried me about ESPN is burn in. Shows like around the horn and PTI have bright, fixed images through the whole show. Same with the ESPN crawler. And ESPN has the crawler on the bottom that remains displayed even during commercials, ala CNBC. And I thought the new HD studio would support all Studio shows originating in Bristol, not just Sportscenter. Baseball tonight and NFL primetime are all done in the same studio. I also hope we get HD highlights when available. I have a prediction: There will be an HD crew at every single Dallas Cowboys :dev game this year. Alas, the downside of HD :river

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)