Even transponders only-----sometimes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

confused.in.texas

Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I've read everything I can find about this problem, but none of the previous experiences help. I know this is long, but I wanted to explain everything that I've done to troubleshoot the problem.

This in my RV. The main receiver is an HR 10-250, cast-off from the house. I also carry an old Sony DTV receiver made in 2000. The primary dish is a Winegard MovinView dome on the roof and I also carry a manual dish that I can set up on a tripod. There is no multi-switch involved anywhere. There is only one receiver in the system and only one coax out.

THe problem: sometimes...in some locations...I can't get odd transponders. Drive some distance, some days pass, get the dish re-aimed, and it works fine. This has happened 3 times. In one location, no odd transponders. Change location, it works fine. Change location again, now no odd transponders.

I have changed the following items, one at a time, without success:

The LNB: bought a replacement Winegard LNB and replaced the one under the dome.
Tried wiring around the Winegard elecrtronics package so the cable went directly to the LNB.
Tried the other receiver-still using the RV internal RG6 cable.
Ran a cable out the door and up to the Winegard dish.
Tried this with both receivers.
Got out the other dish, set it up on the tripod, got it aimed with a good strong signal, used the direct cable going in the door.
Also tried the internal cable in the RV intended for when you are hooked up to cable at an RV park.
Using a multimeter, I checked the dc voltage from the HR10-250 receiver. When I select an odd transponder, I read 13 VDC and when I select an even transponders, it outputs 18 VDC. It could be that both receivers are bad, but that would be a big coincidence.

I also tried replacing two of the items at the same time: change LNB's and also change cable. Tried both receivers with this setup.

So, I have, one at a time, substituted every single item in the system. I also tried different power. Unhooked from the RV park power and tried my 120V inverter.

The only variable remaining is location. And other RV'ers all around me are getting DTV just fine.

I think I've tried everything except a witch doctor. Is there a doctor in the house? :)

During all of this, the highest signal I was getting was 80-83 on the even transponders, -0- on the odd.

I left it along for a couple of hours, came back, still no odd transponders. Had the Winegard realign itself. It seemed to take an abnormally long time, but once it did, I had 90-95 readings on the even transponders and 68+ on most of the odd.

So, is the answer that the signal was just too weak earlier? That's hard to reconcile with all the different equipment I've tried, but it does seem to make sense.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts