Ex-Florida coach Urban Meyer joins ESPN as analyst

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Ex-Florida coach Urban Meyer joins ESPN as analyst - College Football - Rivals.com

Urban Meyer is joining ESPN as an analyst less than two months after he surprised the college football world by resigning from his plum job as Florida’s coach.

Meyer will call one game a week during the regular season and also serve as a studio analyst, the network said Monday. He’ll start with Wednesday’s signing day coverage.

When he resigned Dec. 8, the 46-year-old Meyer said he wanted to spend more time with his family. He insisted on a conference call his new job wouldn’t get in the way of that, with minimal commitment during the offseason and travel only over the weekend in-season.

“It’s a great opportunity to stay around the game,” he said.

Meyer led Florida to two national titles before resigning in December 2009, citing health concerns. That lasted just a day; a year later, though, he left for good.

salsadancer7 said:
I guess there goes all that bull**** about "wanting to spend quality time with the family".

Yeah, because working one day per week is really going to take same time as being a D1 head coach.

You honestly believe he is working ONE DAY a week?! Seriously? You have NO CLUE how much studio time and "homework" it takes to cover the job correctly.

You honestly believe that working as an analyst will take up as much time as a head coaching position at a major (or non major for that matter) university? Seriously? You have NO CLUE how much time and "homework" it takes to coach a team.

Ok now that sarcasm is out of the way, knee jerk obviously makes one want to make that comment, but in reality, there is no way he puts as much time in covering a game, two at most, a week (during the season) as he does when he was a head coach. No way, no how.
Hell even if he was an anchor, he wouldnt have to be as involved time wise as he would as a head (or assistant) coach.

You honestly believe that working as an analyst will take up as much time as a head coaching position at a major (or non major for that matter) university? Seriously? You have NO CLUE how much time and "homework" it takes to coach a team.

Ok now that sarcasm is out of the way, knee jerk obviously makes one want to make that comment, but in reality, there is no way he puts as much time in covering a game, two at most, a week (during the season) as he does when he was a head coach. No way, no how.
Hell even if he was an anchor, he wouldnt have to be as involved time wise as he would as a head (or assistant) coach.

He will put NO WHERE NEAR as much time as a head coach does(some say they average 20 hour days). BUT, I worked with analyst for 9 years in Chicago for 3 sports. Each analyst concentrated on one sport. Myer will be concentrating on ALL of college football PLUS travel. IF he wants to be JUST decent, he will be pulling at least 10 hours a day.....then fly to Bristol every weekend.

Sorry.....I am STILL not buying it. He wanted to get out of Florida because his prodigal son was gone and Florida was just not gonna be as good as they were during their run.

Your kidding, right ? (pertaining to the hours he will put in.)

Of course a coach will leave when a star pupil leaves, look at Carrol, he left at JUST the right time :eek:

No....I am NOT kidding about the hours they put in. My buddy, who does free lance in NYC....he use to do JUST lead in before BULLS games AND after game interviews....THATS IT...and he easily put 8 - 10 hours a night 7 days a week. And he wasn't even doing analyzing during the game.

What about the other 6 months out of the year that college football is not being played? Obviously there are some filler events he will cover (signing day), but for a head coach there is no off season. For his new job, that is a large chunk of time that is now for most purposes, open for him.

I just hope Urban does not start every sentence with "when I was at Florida......" like he did at the BCSNCG.
I thought Nick did a much better job. Both of them together was good but it wondering how Urban will do on his own.

He will put NO WHERE NEAR as much time as a head coach does(some say they average 20 hour days). BUT, I worked with analyst for 9 years in Chicago for 3 sports. Each analyst concentrated on one sport. Myer will be concentrating on ALL of college football PLUS travel. IF he wants to be JUST decent, he will be pulling at least 10 hours a day.....then fly to Bristol every weekend.

Sorry.....I am STILL not buying it. He wanted to get out of Florida because his prodigal son was gone and Florida was just not gonna be as good as they were during their run.

Oh Please Salsa.. They are not hiring him because of his knowledge of ALL of college football. They could care less what he knows about Southern Medthodist universty.. They are hiring him to be a known name behind the mic and to fill a few mins of air time. His show prep will be "hey these are the teams, these are the big name players, heres some stats now fill" This is not his profession, this is something he will be paid a huge amount of money for because of his name. He can still be around the game he loves and spend 90% more time at home then he did before. The head coaching job starts back the day after the last game. Its a non stop job. Being an analyst will require him to work a few months a year and only a few days those months. Hes not doing this to become some professional sports broadcasting anchor. He is filling time. 2 days a week during season and in most cases it will only be on weekends and his kids could come with. Then he will be lucky to put in as much as 8 hours of "work" on that saturday. And it will have 0 stress. Everyone else will do the work he just talks.

No....I am NOT kidding about the hours they put in. My buddy, who does free lance in NYC....he use to do JUST lead in before BULLS games AND after game interviews....THATS IT...and he easily put 8 - 10 hours a night 7 days a week. And he wasn't even doing analyzing during the game.

Your friend was not Urban Meyer, Or Dan Marino or any other big name. Your friend was doing that to make a name for himself. Trying to become that big analyst. Urban, Dan and these other name sakes dont have to do any of that work. They already put in that "time". And basketball is a lot different then football. Basketball is 80 or so games times 30 teams? vs 15 or so in football. Thats a lot more to worry about and pay attention to. On any week there are what 50?+ or more basketball games? thats just in a 7 day period. In college football you are lucky to have 20 "important" games. That someone like Urban would need to worry about. Nova vs South Tenn are not even on the radar. The big games with the big conferences are all he will need to know anything about and for the most part it will be spoon fed for him and written on paper by someone like your friend who already did the hard work.

The Insider said:
Oh Please Salsa.. They are not hiring him because of his knowledge of ALL of college football. They could care less what he knows about Southern Medthodist universty.. They are hiring him to be a known name behind the mic and to fill a few mins of air time. His show prep will be "hey these are the teams, these are the big name players, heres some stats now fill" This is not his profession, this is something he will be paid a huge amount of money for because of his name. He can still be around the game he loves and spend 90% more time at home then he did before. The head coaching job starts back the day after the last game. Its a non stop job. Being an analyst will require him to work a few months a year and only a few days those months. Hes not doing this to become some professional sports broadcasting anchor. He is filling time. 2 days a week during season and in most cases it will only be on weekends and his kids could come with. Then he will be lucky to put in as much as 8 hours of "work" on that saturday. And it will have 0 stress. Everyone else will do the work he just talks.

When you worked in that in and around that field for 7 years....come talk to me. In the mean time, you go ahead and believe that.

The Insider said:
Your friend was not Urban Meyer, Or Dan Marino or any other big name. Your friend was doing that to make a name for himself. Trying to become that big analyst. Urban, Dan and these other name sakes dont have to do any of that work. They already put in that "time". And basketball is a lot different then football. Basketball is 80 or so games times 30 teams? vs 15 or so in football. Thats a lot more to worry about and pay attention to. On any week there are what 50?+ or more basketball games? thats just in a 7 day period. In college football you are lucky to have 20 "important" games. That someone like Urban would need to worry about. Nova vs South Tenn are not even on the radar. The big games with the big conferences are all he will need to know anything about and for the most part it will be spoon fed for him and written on paper by someone like your friend who already did the hard work.

Again, you keep believing that one.

What is not true? Meyer is the top of the heap. Hes not going to bust his butt like you or your friend did. He will be spoon fed everything. He will not be the one going around getting this info and that info, staying up all hours of the night crunching facts and figures. He will sit down in a chair with a handful of papers and talk.

I am not doubting what you say about most "analysts" in sports. I am talking only about guys like Meyer, Marino, etc.

The Insider said:
What is not true? Meyer is the top of the heap. Hes not going to bust his butt like you or your friend did. He will be spoon fed everything. He will not be the one going around getting this info and that info, staying up all hours of the night crunching facts and figures. He will sit down in a chair with a handful of papers and talk.

I am not doubting what you say about most "analysts" in sports. I am talking only about guys like Meyer, Marino, etc.

You stick to what you think and I will stick to what I saw. Simple.

You stick to what you think and I will stick to what I saw. Simple.

Again I said I agree with what you saw. However your forgetting the difference between one person being a "known celebrity" and the other simply being an analyst. They dont want Meyer for his back breaking research working 20 hours a day to find the big story/information etc.. They want him because he is a name and knows people. Thats it. You dont have to be a reporter to know that. You just need common sense.

The Insider said:
Again I said I agree with what you saw. However your forgetting the difference between one person being a "known celebrity" and the other simply being an analyst. They dont want Meyer for his back breaking research working 20 hours a day to find the big story/information etc.. They want him because he is a name and knows people. Thats it. You dont have to be a reporter to know that. You just need common sense.

Do you think he is coming into this gig doing this half-assed??!! These guys have major egos.... Regardless of how much they look like nice guys. He wants to do well....and he will work hard to make sure he is not known as just another pretty face.

And if you don't think Marino works hours as a analyst.... Lol! Like I said...you are more thanks welcome to think that. ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts