Excellent Credit = $300 Credit fee???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
S

serrels

Feb 15, 2010
Maryland
Hi, I was in the process of ordering DirecTV through Verizon and after the credit check I was told (online) that I would be charged a $300 fee for my credit rating... But my wife and I have very good credit. Does every new customer get this fee or am I missing something?

F

FavreJL04

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 14, 2006
I had a $200 years ago when I signed up and my credit isn't the best. That sure does sound odd that they want $300 from someone is great standing.

iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
Hi, I was in the process of ordering DirecTV through Verizon and after the credit check I was told (online) that I would be charged a $300 fee for my credit rating... But my wife and I have very good credit. Does every new customer get this fee or am I missing something?

they only charged me fifty dollars and i have horrible credit.

JAG72

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
If you do have good credit the $300 fee does not sound correct. The issue could be if you don't have any active credit currently that can also throw up red flags on credit checks.

I would also grab a free copy of your credit report and verify that there are not things on there that shouldn't.

televisionarchives

televisionarchives

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2008
My Credit score is 740 . Never got a fee. But it is wise to have your credit report checked. Check the Big 3 . They make mistakes. I found one on mine about 8 years ago.

J

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
This is new territory for Directv. Their standard seems to change. Early on they got hosed by signing up anyone with a pulse so they tightened things up until subscriptions went down. Then they started adding obligations to maintain service into the future. Try canceling the order and reapplying later with a different sales entity.

Joe

fleetfarmer

fleetfarmer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 5, 2010
indoors
I think I'm missing something.

Based on your credit score they just charge you a "fee" you'll never get back ?
or
Do you mean they pre-charge $300(or whatever) to one of your credit cards to cover the installation fees and subscription costs ?

S

serrels

Feb 15, 2010
Maryland
I think I'm missing something.

Based on your credit score they just charge you a "fee" you'll never get back ?
or
Do you mean they pre-charge $300(or whatever) to one of your credit cards to cover the installation fees and subscription costs ?

The "fee" is more like a deposit. It's separate from the installation fees and all that. It's refunded to me $5/month for 60 months. If I decide to cancel my service, the remaining deposit is forfeited. That does not sit well with me.

I just checked my FICO... it's 792. What gives? Maybe I should call and see what Verizon or DTV says about it. I just wanted to see if anyone here knew more about it as there is no mention of credit score fees or whatever on the DTV website. Thanks everyone!

H

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
note sure where 300 comming from DTV highest fee is 200.
Not True, It is $300, I know cause I paid my sister in laws hook up from D* Just 1 month ago.:)
They Charged her a $300 deposit, Thats returned in $5 credits Plus the $99 extra for the addtional HD receiver.
Her credit score is a 590.:(

wildbill129

wildbill129

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2009
Redding, CA

It could be a bundling issue through Verizon. I would call DirecTV directly and see what the issue is.

F

FED-UP-INSTALLER

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 15, 2008
sounds like a nigerian DirecTv scam

jtwex

jtwex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 25, 2008
Embarrassed Bear
I just checked my FICO... it's 792.

Sorry man, "But that's gold Jerry, gold". I don't know who you ordered it through but near perfect credit scores don't get hit with $300.00 fees. If you checked all three Credit Bureaus (It's possible one out of the three could have a disastrous number) & that's your average it's time to escalate your order up the food chain to a manager. Heck, offer to fax them your full credit report........750's+ earned their stripes & you should get to the bottom of it.

K

Kheldar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2006
note sure where 300 comming from DTV highest fee is 200.

Only Standard Recievers = $200
DVR or HD or HD-DVR = $300

While the fee typically means a problem with credit, it could also be some other issues which would cause a "no hit" situation (no credit of credit):
* They may have your first or last name misspelled
* Did you give them the same address that you have credit records at (i.e. the same address on your credit card statements).

For people that have a high credit score, the above fees are usually caused by data entry errors that you may be able to correct. Once corrected, they can re-run your credit history and you may get around the fee.

stonecold

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
Not True, It is $300, I know cause I paid my sister in laws hook up from D* Just 1 month ago.:)
They Charged her a $300 deposit, Thats returned in $5 credits Plus the $99 extra for the addtional HD receiver.
Her credit score is a 590.:(

We dont charge deposits .... They are customer fees.

so are you saying it was 300+99 = 399 she laid out front.

H

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
We dont charge deposits .... They are customer fees.

so are you saying it was 300+99 = 399 she laid out front.
$399 is what I layed up front for her.:(
You work for D* this shouldn't be anything new.

This has been a standard practice as long as I can remember.
They Used to make you Pay 2 months programming ahead years ago as a deposit. Now Its a 2 or $300 Fee.

I know People who have paid Over $500 For service.
Thats a $300 Deposit and $199 + taxes for his 2nd HDDVR.

Bottom line they Do charge customers with Poor Credit a Deposit of $300.
$200, I can't say, Ive never seen that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.